I have been cleared to return to life as I knew it but with an asterisk***Heart Attack Victim***. Doesn't have a good ring, does it? Oh well, maybe it would sound better saying Heart Attack Survivor. Hmmn, do I sense a reality show coming on? It could be pretty good competing for number of stents implanted or valves replaced or number of open heart surgeries, or number of donuts given up or chips not eaten or number of pills now necessary to be taken and, and , the list goes on and on... So far I am not doing well at turning 60!!!!!
Yesterday I found myself in the office of my new-found Cardiologist friend Dr. Mustoe taking my first ever 'Stress Test'. The test consists of getting on a treadmill and walking while the pace and incline are increased in three minute intervals. The idea is to get your heart rate to a specified goal, in my case 140 beats per minute, all the while being 'wired' for sound, beat, rate, pulse, blood pressure, etc... I looked like the bionic man in my nice gym shorts with blue shirt and Costco tennis shoes and white crew socks!!! Quite a picture I know!!! Anyway, I was on the treadmill for a full 10 minutes, a feat that Dr Mustoe said is quite unusual in itself. You can guess that I am all smiles because the test proved that my heart is functioning properly. Dr. Mustoe, after looking at all the charts and graphs said that my prognosis is excellent. I do not have to go back to see him for 6 weeks which is great. The recurring symptoms that had plagued me for the past several weeks have disappeared which is a cause of great relief. I am feeling fine with no anxiety or depression attacks. I came out of the test and immediately went to the YMCA to resume my normal Thursday exercise routine-Steam room stretches, 30 minute 'spin' class and 15 minutes on the 7 weight machines, then some final stretches and 'bicycle crunches'. It all felt so good and all was fine. I had been hesitant to exercise because of the recurring symptoms fearing that I would reach that certain level of heart activity and the all too familiar pain would return. Not this time!!! Yeah and yeah and yeah. Here is the summary of my stress test. All is well, all is well.
1 comment:
yay dad! glad to hear all is well!
Post a Comment