Sunday, July 1, 2012

Parker's Baptism

On the 21st I had the privilege of flying to Boca Raton to be with Josh and Robin and their family for Parker's baptism. Jan was planning on going but decided against due to her lingering sinus infection. She simply was afraid of trying to deal with the altitude change as the planes were ascending and descending. So I was sent as the Shipley grandparent representative. I was fully prepared to face the horrible humidity but was pleasantly surprised the whole time I was there. The humidity was almost a non-factor due to a tropical storm that moved up west Florida into the panhandle. As it did much rain fell in eastern Florida. Evidently and wonderfully when it does cloud up and rain, the humidity is kept at bay and that is exactly what happened. Thank goodness. The rain there is so much different than here in Salinas. On Saturday afternoon it rained profusely for a couple of hours. The drops were and are 'sloppy' big and very wet. It had to have rained at least 2 inches in that time frame. Needless to say, if that happened here, we would have to move!!!!

Parker's birthday was the 20th.

The Baptism and Confirmation were performed on Sunday the 24th immediately following the 3 hour meeting schedule for her Ward at 12:30. Hers was the only ordinance scheduled which made it even more special.


The opening exercises were held in the Chapel and I gave the talk on Baptism. Grandpa Doug spoke on the Holy Ghost. We moved to the Primary Room and the Baptism was performed by father Josh Ladle. Both Grandpas acted as witnesses. A beautiful spirit was present and felt not only there but throughout the day. Parker is a special spirit!! We returned to the chapel and father Josh confirmed Parker and both Grandpas were in the confirmation circle. I sang "I am a Child of God" with Robin accompanying. The arrangement was a nice modulating piece by Mildred Pettite. The Ward and Primary members were certainly very supportive as many were in attendance.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with my grand kids and Josh and Robin. Ollie and I spent a lot of time playing with and kicking an over sized around their living room. Actually, all the kids joined in, but Ollie was the serious 'kickballer'.

I accompanied Robin and the kids back to Salinas via Southwest Airlines on Tuesday the 26th. The flight was in three legs, first Ft. Lauderdale to Kansas City, second, KC to Phoenix, third Phoenix to San Jose. We left Ft Lauderdale at 4:20pm the thinking being that the kids would probably sleep thru most of the flights. Nope!!! It didn't happen. Poor Sawyer screamed at the top of his lungs most of the 2nd leg. His ears really hurt from the altitude changes. The girls were good to go and Ollie was outstanding. The third leg finally found them asleep until about 20 minutes out from San Jose. They all awoke almost simultaneously with altitude affected ear problems. It was pretty grim for 10 minutes but finally we got low enough and the pressures eased. We touched down at 11:55 pm and Grammy was there to escort us to Salinas.

I awoke at 6am the next morning still on Florida time and went downstairs to find Parker crying in her mom's arms with a severe ear ache. I immediately took her to the emergency room at Salinas Valley Memorial, my old 'heart' stomping grounds. Parker was diagnosed with an ear infection and was prescribed ear drops. I was able to visit with 'Mattie', the emergency room nurse who so calmly told me to call Jan when it was learned I actually had a heart attack, and Dr Singh, who helped me through the first few tough hours in the ER. I asked if he remembered me and he said "Oh yes, you were the stoic one!!!!!. He stated that he told his colleagues that whatever I said it was 10 times worse!!! Wow. I have never thought of myself as stoic but..... I thanked them all literally from the 'bottom of my heart'.

While waiting for the prescription, I treated Parker to breakfast at Denny's which we enjoyed. We returned home and I slept most of the afternoon trying to recuperate.

We are now enjoying the time together awaiting the arrival of our other family members in mid July for our 2012 Family Reunion.

No comments: