Several wonderful things have happened over the past few days. Last Sunday I witnessed a true 'prison conversion'. Art and I have split assignments now for our first meetings. He conducts at Salinas Valley Prison and I at CTF (Correctional Training Facility) North yard. A very young man, Brent Tyler, has been coming to the North meeting for the past two or three months. He is twenty-nine and is serving the 7th year of a 25-life sentence. He comes from a very active LDS background. He attended seminary and served a mission and of course has received his endowments. I do not know why he is in prison, but he is, and it has been a source of great perplexity and sadness to me. The week previous he requested a blessing and Art and I pronounced that blessing upon him. As he sat down Sunday I could tell he was deeply troubled and was ready to boil over. Sure enough, he began to talk and open up and reveal what was in his heart. Two other inmates were present, one a 'lifer' also. Brent had just completed a phone call to his mom prior to the meeting and had talked with her about many of the things he would share. The gist of the discussion was as follows. He proclaimed that he had had the worst week of his life and had hit 'rock bottom' mentally and spiritually. He was convinced that because of his excommunication and 'life sentence' that he could not repent of his sins and ever have a chance to prove the 'physical' aspect of the repentance process, ie, being in the world surrounded by temptations and overcoming them. We read 3rd Nephi 5:4-5 and I asked how the scripture applied to all present. Brent stated that he couldn't see it because the 'robbers and murderers' in the scripture were set free. I just kept asking how it applied and the spirit simply took over. We opened to the Sermon on the Mount and there it was, "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery. But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lusteth after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. As we talked it through, the lights went on and a visible change in Brent's countenance became readily apparent. He was given hope and light and peace!!!! all in one instant. He proclaimed that he could now see repentance was possible by cleansing his mind and heart of all unclean thoughts!!!
As it was Fast Sunday, I then opened the service and Brent bore one of the sweetest, most wonderful heartfelt testimonies Ihave ever felt. He was now full of gratitude and hope and light. He stated that he was sure that his Mom had been praying for him, and that he was going to call her back and tell her that 'help' had indeed come. The other inmates bore sweet testimonies which strenghthened Brent further, not to mention me. We talked more of future opportunities, of Covenant making and eternal marriage of which he asked point blank if there was still the possiblility of such an event happening . I promised him through the spirit that as far as my understanding, there would be a possibility for such a blessed event. I concluded by saying that the Atonement applies to all and can right all wrongs. I know this is true, and he got it, he just simply got it. For me, it was a sweet, sweet moment in time-for Brent, the way to proceed was given. I shared this story with Art and Doug Humble when we later reassembled, and Art especially took note and stated that this was what it was all about. I had heard him tell of similar conversions, but now I can say that I have had the privilege of a first-hand experience, for which I am profoundly greatful. Certainly the hand of the Lord was felt this day.
Later Sunday evening we (The Valparaiso Singers) performed at the annual Creche exhibit in Palo Alto. Once again, as always, the music lifted my spirit and welcomed in the Christmas Season. Again, I am profoundly greatful for the gift of music in my life.
I am exercising regularly now and am enjoying it!!!. I have lost 6 pounds in a week and am encouraged. I already feel better and have more energy.
Last night I sang for the Relief Society Christmas party. Terry Smith and I performed 'The Gift' and various other popular Christmas songs. I did the Kareoke version of the Carpenter's 'Merry Christmas Darling', the song which officially opens the Christmas season here at the house, though we still do not have the decorations up. Jan has just been diligently caring for her parents and has not found the time as yet to dig out the ornaments and such. I actually haven't even purchased the tree but hope to do so today prior to my Temple excursion.
Oh yes, I turned 58 last week. I received wonderful phone calls from all Children, and some grand..., and my goodest friend Courtenay Cox. He and I always remember eaches birthday. In fact, we are meeting for lunch tomorrow at Habanero's as he and Judy have never eaten there. Somebody has to take them, so it might as well be Jan and I.
2 comments:
Dad, this was fun to read. I'm glad to see you back into it. Thank you.
dad, i just saw that you wrote this! i love the prison story! and you!
Post a Comment