Sunday, February 21, 2010

This past Wednesday, we said goodbye to Lorin Smith who passed away at age 91. He and wife Berniele were among the Salinas 1st Ward Pioneers and stalwarts for so many years. I sang 'The Lord Is My Shepherd' at the service even though suffering from my annual throat cold. I was able to spend some time with Lorin and son Terry at the Rehabilitation Center where Papa Jim is located. Lorin was placed there two weeks ago after slipping into a coma. At his request, no life support measures were instituted and he was admitted on a comfort care only basis. He did last 5 full days which was amazing!!! I visited with Terry and Lorin most evenings until his death on the 12th of February and we, Terry and I visited freely. Terry has cared first for his now deceased Mother, who by the way was not his biological mother, and his Father for the past 4 years. He retired early from teaching on overseas military bases to care for his parents and has just been a true model of compassion and charity. His eulogy was both touching and revealing and brought memories of my caring for Neece in her final year, a year in which I got reacquainted with her.



Jan is in Ithaca New York awaiting the birth of our 9th grandchild. Oh yes, Robin and Josh are awaiting too!! It appears that tomorrow will be the day of inducement. That doesn't sound good does it? I miss my wife. She has been gone a week now, and I have gained an even deeper appreciation for what she does on a daily basis to care for Nana who is totally dependant on us.



Stake Conference was held this weekend. Nana and I and Uncle Bob attended last night and Nana and I this morning. She wanted to have a 'cushy' seat so we packed up and arrived at 9am and sat in the 2nd row of soft pew seating.

Michael and Julie Campbell are being sealed this coming Saturday. Julie (Hintgen) Ferguson is my dear YSA friend from 1974. She and Michael have been married for 20 years and he joined the church 2 years ago and has just progressed through the ordinances in magnificent fashion. He spoke on Friday evening and bore wonderful testimony of his conversion process and the hand the Lord had in that journey.

Papa is hanging in there. His health is good, but mind is not. He simply cannot remember things from one moment to the next.

No comments: