Sunday, August 31, 2008

A truly beautiful Sabbath Day is coming to a close. I am watching the western sunset from my office window reflecting on the events of the past 12 hours and in fact the whole weekend. I am trying to get caught up on my reflections from last weekend's first visit to Soledad Prison and will publish that blog immediately after finishing this entry. Suffice it to say, I journeyed once again to the Correctional Facility and there joined my fellow Priesthood holder and High Council friend Art Romero for yet another day of wonderful faith and spirit filled round of meetings and get-togethers. We were able to conduct a 'normal' meeting in Central this week as there was no lock down in effect. This is all explained in the above entry of August 26th. Five Brethren joined us in our chapel, an office space filled with other religious literature. Brother Jim Nielson, age 70 at least, played the portable piano and as we sang the opening hymn. Another Tongan Brother gave the opening prayer and we were off and running. Each was introduced and told a little about their lives in and out of the church. Brother Jim's story was especially poignant. He is the father of 8 and grandfather to 26!!! He has hopes of being released, but he knows that the Lord placed him in prison for protection and as a deterrent. My heart went out to him as he bore fervent testimony to the truthfulness of the Gospel, of forgiveness, and the eternity of families. He, and all who were there, bore testimony of the Atonement, not about the Atonement, but of. That is what I am having a hard time sharing about this whole process. These brethren have no game-face, no facade of 'all is well in Zion'. They know what they have done and that they have made terrible mistakes, but the Lord loves each of them because they have felt the Atonement working in their lives. I really cannot put into words what the spirit is testifying to me regarding the state of these men. It is a paradox to which I am just now coming to understand. Many have committed crimes for which there can be no restitution given in this life, and therefore there can be no forgiveness, or so it seems. Somehow, the Savior is able to restore and give restitution through the Atonement. I do not comprehend it all, but I know it is true for these brethren who seek the spirit and are trying to do all they can to be worthy of that spirit of forgiveness. The feeling of it all has brought me to tears, tears of gratitude for the Savior of mankind.

An interesting aside occurred during this mornings meeting. Protestant services were being held in an adjacent meeting room and the minister conducting the services got wind that I could sing (Thanks Brother Romero). Before I knew it, a younger man came to me and said he would accompany me on "How Great Thou Art". He asked what key I preferred and so we went over the song and decided to change keys(modulate) after the second verse. He said he would also do 'this and that' but that he would follow my lead. Soon I and our little flock were ushered into the larger meeting room where over 100 protestant inmates were awaiting the word through song. I introduced myself and away we went. What happened next was truly astounding. This young accompanist began playing a wonderful introduction to the hymn and I found myself singing against a backdrop of remarkable musicianship. With no notes, he was simply playing a true accompaniment to my singing. As I was singing, I wondered how a man of such obvious talent could wind up in prison!! The key change happened flawlessly and I soon noticed a flutist sitting in the front row preparing his flute to play. As I continued, his counterpoint began to be heard and very soon we had crescendo'd to an entertaining conclusion to the hymn. Of course the inmates were appreciative and our little flock expressed gratitude. My 'pianist' was truly wonderful, and in any other musical setting I would love to hear him again, but it was apparent midway through the number that it was indeed an entertainment event. We were competing against each other, and that is not the spirit of worship through music. In other words, the event is more important than the message. I later commented to our group that I would have preferred to sing a Capella, but it was, all in all, an interesting prison experience.

I returned to the Salinas Chapel in time for 11am Sacrament Service where I was the concluding speaker for the youth and all who attended yesterdays' Temple excursion. Beautiful expressions of gratitude and real testimony were given and expressed. I invited all to use the new tools the Lord has put into our hands to move the sealing work of Elijah forward. Then I was back in the car heading to Soledad for the afternoon round of meetings. I bore testimony of the atonement once again to the good brethren I met last week and we shared an hour of true communion with the spirit. These men are being set free by the truth and are in less of a prison than some on the outside who have rejected the truth or who do not acknowledge the source of all truth and light. I believe my message to them was one of hope and increased faith.

Our day was cut short due to a lock down at the South facility, so Art and I said goodbye at 3pm and I was home for a beautiful dinner prepared by Jan and attended by Papa and Nana, and oh yes, Buddy the dog!!! Of course we are training him not to beg at the table, but who is really training who?

On the way home from the prison I reflected on my feelings to this point in my prison experience and realized that I needed some counsel from my priesthood leaders as to what may be expected of me. I called President Locke and shared with him the procedural promptings I had been been receiving, those being a desire to attend on a regular basis, even weekly. I feel that Art has been doing this solo performance long enough and that a further witness was desirable. President Locke agreed and stated that the Stake Presidency felt the same way. I was invited to counsel with my High Priest Group Leader today or tomorrow and share with him the mandate I have received, and ask for his counsel and blessing. This weekly effort will require my absence from High Priest Group meetings, which I do not feel will hinder my calling as an assistant, but I will defer if after explaining the situation to Brother King, he decides that I would not be able function under both calling banners. The prison experience is not a calling, but.....the Lord has moved me strongly in that direction.

And so I suppose you could unequivocally say I have seen the Hand of the Lord moving to bless my life and the lives of those around me in a very real and wonderful way this holy day.

1 comment:

robin said...

good stuff dad. who knew you would meet a better accompanist than me (key changes and all) in prison!