Sunday, August 31, 2008

Yesterday was a lovely spiritual day. I accompanied our 1st Ward youth to the Oakland Temple for their Baptism for the Dead excursion. Some not-so-youth also joined us. Malena Van Gundy, our newest member and sister I home teach had 10 names of direct relatives to baptize and Louie Villaneda and wife Tammy and two of their teenage boys started the work for Louie's sister who died last year from a sudden heart attack at age 48. We all felt blessed to be in the Lord's house and as stated before, it is easy to see and feel the hand of the Lord moving us through these most important ordinances. The event brought back memories of escorting my own children on their beginning Temple excursions and to see them now as active Temple 'goers' and 'doers' is most humbling and gratifying.

After returning home, Jan and I drove to the Stake Center to witness the live baptism of Michael Campbell, husband of Julie Hintgen. In an earlier 'blog', I wrote of this good family's history. The Hand of the Lord had certainly reached out to touch Michael and all who were in attendance felt the spirit of the occasion. He has been under the watchful care of good home teachers and Bishop's and many sets of missionaries for the 18 years he and Julie have been married. His contrite spirit and broken heart were evident as the ordinances were performed. I sang 'I Know That My Redeemer Lives', a Capella, for the closing musical number.

Not to be overlooked, it was great to be with Jan, my sweetheart, to share in this wonderful outpouring of the spirit. We later enjoyed some time together grabbing a bite to eat at her favorite Monterey haunt, Turtle Bay.

No comments: