Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Week most extraordinary!!

I am writing this from sunny, and I do mean sunny, Arizona where we are visiting Scott and Kiana in their lovely new home that they have worked so hard to make their own. We arrived Thursday afternoon and have enjoyed visiting with them. The Lord's hand has blessed them which is very apparent as I observe them living their lives according to the covenants they have made one with another and with the Lord.
Today, we are going to tour the area and see Scotty's workplace. A trip to Scottsdale to visit the Ikea warehouse ? is in the offing. I have no idea about ikea, but I just made a rhyme, so it can't be all bad. Actually, I understand it is an amazing place to buy furniture, so... Then we will have lunch and later on attend an Arizona Diamondback baseball game against the Kansas City Royals.
Yesterday we drove to a magnificent outdoor area known as Westgate. The Football stadium where the Super Bowl was played this past February is located in the vicinity. Westgate is a planned shopping and living area that reminds me of Southgate Plaza in Salt Lake City. Condos to buy or rent form the skyline of this village type retail area and the shops and restaurants are exceptional. We met Marty and Diane, Kiana's parents, at the AMC movieplex on site and for $5 each, saw the latest Indiana Jones movie. We will see many of the Morris family tomorrow as we have been invited to a dinner get together.
Last Saturday evening I emceed the Salinas City Champion's dinner. 75 guests enjoyed a wonderful evening of remembrances and sociality as we honored the city golf champions from the past 50 years. Professionals Jim Langley, Cotton Kaiser, Glen Stubblefield, Gerry Greenfield, Dave Vivolo, and Bobby Bowker also attended and gave a luster to the evening. I will not attempt to relive the evening but just once again relate how fortunate I have been to have been involved in such a great sport as golf. It is truly the greatest game ever invented because it mirrors life so well. All of the attendees are great people in their own right and it is easy to see that golf has helped them become that way. We gave special recognition to Jim Lathum, seven time city champion in whose honor all future championships will be named. He was beyond words as we stood to applaud his accomplishments, both on and off the golf course.
Jan and I awoke at 3am Sunday Morning and drove to Jamie's to attend the blessing of little Grace Ella Shipley. We arrived at 10am amidst hugs and loves from Brooklyn, Abby and Lori, and oh yes Jamie and Anita too. Anita's parents also drove up from San Diego to join in the sacred occasion. Dale and I stood in the circle and held Gracie as Jamie blessed her to grow up in the Gospel and to learn the Plan of Salvation so that she could raise a righteous family. The blessing was the Lord's pronouncement of faith and trust upon Grace to truly know that she is a choice daughter of Heavenly Father. Jamie and Anita are likewise full of faith and hope as they are making some large decisions at this time. Jamie asked for a blessing before Dale and Kathy departed so I, acting as voice and Dale assisting, blessed him. It was a privilege to give this blessing and the Lord's hand was and is apparent in his, Jamie's, and his family's, life. They will be moving to San Diego to live with the Olsen's for a short time while the condo they are living in will be prepared for sale. Then it will be off to either Tennessee or perhaps Nevada where he just interviewed for a new position with a company run by a School friend. Or he might even find employment in San Diego. All the moves being contemplated are good and the Lord will guide them in whatever they need to do. Jamie next blessed Anita and then Brooklyn, Abby, and Lori. A sweet spirit was felt by all present and I felt extremely blessed to see my son use his Priesthood in such a sacred and holy way.
Jan and I drove home on Monday and stopped in Paso Robles for a short time so that she could visit some quilt shops. I took a moment and hiked to the Paso Robles Inn which is a famous landmark from the 19th and 20th century. Built in 1890, it was a major hotel and health and mineral spa styled after the manner of the grand hotels of the era. I was overcome with a great sprit of history as I enjoyed reading the posted material and viewing the old photos of the original structure, which was destroyed by fire in 1940. Only one building of the original layout remains, but the newer version is comfortable enough and the grounds are very peaceful. I could not help but think of my ancestors and the historical work of Elijah in which I am presently engaged, and once again must give thanks for the Lord's hand and spirit urging me onward in this most vital and urgent salvational covenant.
Tuesday and Wednesday were spent preparing for our visit to Arizona and so we are here.

No comments: