About 6 or 7 months ago, I was 'manning' the recommend desk at the temple during one of my Wednesday shift assignments when sister Doreen Kopf, who works the mid-shift, was exiting the temple to go home. I have gotten to know the Kopf's, Doreen, and husband Richard, through the appreciation day that the church sponsors every year to fete the international consuls located in San Francisco who actually issue the visas for all the church missionaries and other foreign travelers from the Pacific Northwest. I have helped run the golf portion of the event on and off for the past 10 years and so have become friends with the Kopf's who are called as the regional public affairs specialists.
As we exchanged pleasantries at the recommend desk, the topic was broached about my calling in the Soledad Prison Branch Presidency. Dorene continued out but returned shortly and explained that she had forgotten something in her locker. She paused and asked me further questions about my calling. I could tell that she had a genuine interest in what I was trying to convey regarding the 'uniqueness' of my assignment. She disappeared within the bowels of the Temple then re-emerged only to ask me even more pointed questions. I could now feel that she had truly captured the spirit of the call and sure enough, she then asked me if I would be willing to come and speak at their ward's empty nester home evening some time in the future. I assured her I would be honored to do so even though they live in Alamo, a small rural area off Hwy 680 between Concord and Walnut Creek.
Fast forward to mid October. I received an email from Doreen giving several Mondays in early November as a possible date to come and speak. I had to give a disclaimer because I had been released in September from the Branch Presidency. She assured me it would not matter and in fact it did not. The experiences I had will be fresh in my mind and heart for the rest of my life!. So, November 10th was decided upon and Jan and I journeyed to their lovely home that backs onto Round Hill Country Club in Alamo. Richard is a retiring attorney who obviously has done well over the years. Their house was simply wonderful and the spirit of the Gospel within its confines was very apparent as is the case with all who live the commandments and follow the Savior. We were treated to a light dinner and then people started arriving eventually peaking at over 40 in number. It was like a 'who's who' in Mormondom with Temple sealers, former Bishops and Stake Presidents and an Emeritus Seventy, Elder Parmley, in attendance. In other words, an older more distinguished group. I spoke for an hour about my 'prison' experience and bore testimony of the Atonement and forgiveness and repentance. The message was well received and I was grateful the spirit was in attendance. I could well imagine the pain of some, if not many in the audience, over loved ones temporarily lost or wandering, or perhaps others in spiritual prison. I don't mean to imply a pall was cast over the room by any means, but I just felt the theme perhaps hit 'close to home'.
And as an important side, Jan and I felt the inspiration to once again start a Salinas 1st Ward empty nester program to begin after the first of the year.
Here is some post fireside correspondence.
On Nov 12, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Dave Shipley wrote:
Dearest Kopf’s,Please know how grateful Jan and I are for your hospitality last evening. It was a privilege to be in a home where the love of the Savior is so evident. And what a wonderful group of ward members! As I reflected this morning, I couldn’t help but think of all the ‘collective’ goodness in your living room-fellow Saints who have spent their lives in service to the Master.Thank you once again.Sincerely,Dave and Jan ShipleyPS I have already emailed our Bishop for permission to begin the Salinas 1st Ward ‘empty nesters’ family home evening group. We will be inviting all the empty nesters and the widows and widowers in our area. Thanks for the inspiration to do so.
Dear Dave and Jan -
Rick and I have talked and talked about your inspirational messages last
night. And this morning the sisters in our scripture study group also continued
to talk about your testimony of Jesus Christ .... His great unfathomable Atoning
Sacrifice, His astounding love for each individual (We all sinners!), His peace
found through repentance, and our love for one another as we try to serve
Him.
We can't thank you enough for making such a long trip to our home to
present this message. The evening is one that will always be remembered by
everyone who was able to attend. I will think about it for years to come and be
humbled by your message of love.
We so also enjoyed Jan. It's amazing how one brief experience can bring
such a bond of affection and appreciation. I am glad that you made it home
safely! My friends were amazed to hear that you drove all the way back to
Salinas last night!
Thank you so very much Dave and Jan.
Love,
---------------------------------------------
Thank you Sister Kopf,
I had the occasion to return to the prison yesterday on special assignment
from the Stake Presidency and I was able to share with the men our fireside
experience with your wonderful ward members and friends.
See you Wednesday.
Dave and Jan
-----Original Message-----
From: Doreen Kopf
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:21 AM
To: Dave Shipley
Subject: Hearing from my Friends
Hello Brother Shipley ,
I just want to tell you that at Church yesterday several of my friends again
told me how much your presentation meant to them.
So I continue to thank you and Jan!
Doreen=
No comments:
Post a Comment