Thursday, November 28, 2013

It's a Boy 28 November 1976

Tonight might be the night.  The following is a rundown and unless mission is aborted will run continuously.
 
     Jan had back pains pretty much the whole evening.  I returned from an Elders Quorum dinner and we decided to call Dr Gardner- time 10:10pm.  Dr. Gardner said to go to the hospital, so at 10:50 we left our apartment.  Arrived at 11:05   Went to room immediately.  Undressed and are now awaiting an examiner-time 11:25pm.  She is suffering and I wonder about the breathing techniques.  I just asked Jan if she wanted me as a coach, because if not, I won't waste my time and have her get mad at me or I her.  She is early, but we are going to stay while they give her some Seconal.  If that makes the pain stop, we will go home and wait until tomorrow.  He said it would probably be tomorrow.  At any rate....so, he is a nice man.  The nurse has just administered all the usual stuff-time 11:40.  Time 3:10am November 28, 1976.  Time is flying by.  The Lord doesn't waste time and it is wise because the pain Jan is going through is almost unbearable.  She is having back labor and there in nothing regular about it.  The have sedated her, and that helps the pain, but when she is 5cms dilated, they are going to give her a spinal block, which will cut off the pain entirely.  That's fine with me.  She has a minimal threshold for pain, and I 'm afraid we just didn't give our breathing enough exercise time.  Next time around will do so.  Jan is about 1-3 Cm's dilated, but it's moving slowly.  There is not a whole lot I can do, except breath with her and pray that the Lord will give her my strength.  It's not a dream!  It is really happening to us!!.  Wow!!! All the things I've been reading regarding family will now become my teaching responsibility.  Time to rub back-time 3:23.  Water broke 4:05.  Dr Gardner just came in and gave Jan a spinal block.  It relieves the pain and now she will sleep for an hour.  So might I--time 4:50.  Time 6:30.  They have just taken her to the delivery room.  I am sitting waiting to enter where together we shall enjoy the first breath of our little one.  I'm so nervous I can hardly wait.  My breath is short, and I am shaking.  I just called Debbi Willis.  She is on her way.  Good Lord, help me now, help us both, help us three!!!  6:53am--J. D. is here.  8:15-We are in the recovery room.  Both Mom and Son are fine!!  Wow! What an incredible ordeal.  I watched my son being born.  It is still unreal. They have separated us from the baby, so it seems as though we are just visiting.  I am tired, but in heaven.  My time is almost through with her.  Time-8:40am-They are going to put her in the hospital room.  Then I will go home and sleep.  9am.  It is over and yet...just beginning.
       (Personal journal entry dated 27 November 1976)

Happy 37th Birthday Son.  You don't remember but we sure do.




Now is this Stirling or what?

1 comment:

robin said...

that was fun to read, dad! i didn't know you had journal entries from then!