Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"Cotton Kaiser"

Goodbyes were said to Cotton Kaiser in March.  Cotton was one of the earliest influences in my 'golfing life'.    Around the age of 10 or 11 my life-long friend Courtenay Cox and I started to take an interest in this new 'made for television sport' thanks to Arnold Palmer-still my golfing hero.  Cotton was then running the shop at the Rodeo Grounds Driving Range adjacent to the now defunct Salinas Municipal Ballpark..  One day Court and I went to the range to hit balls and then onto an afternoon baseball game.  As we walked on the far side of the range en route to the park, we noticed several wayward golf balls strewn along our path.  Thinking, or not, that finders were keepers, we 'pocketed' a few of these little gems for further use.  In no time, a little white pickup truck came screeching up on us and out popped Mr Kaiser.  Confessions were forthcoming and repentance swift!!!  Cotton was a 'no nonsense' kind of person. In subsequent months, Cotton would become my first golf coach and employer.  He must have seen some potential because one day I was out hitting balls on the range and was swinging a left handed club.  This sounds odd now but back when I first started I did swing from the left side, no doubt due to the fact that I kicked left footed and batted left handed.  The image is very clear of Cotton journeying out on the range to my spot and physically putting his hand on the top of my head to turn me around so as to swing from the right side.  He told me that the left-handed clubs of that day were inferior and that I would do much better playing as a right-hander.  So there it was, my golfing destiny was set, and the rest, so they say, was history.  Cotton also hired me, along with other juniors, to help pick up the range balls after closing.  I believe I worked two or three nights per week at a dollar or two a night.  Neece would faithfully provide the transportation to and from.  Of most importance was the opportunity to practice free of charge.  Cotton had the authority to allow us 'junior kids' to hit as many buckets of balls as desired.   I took advantage of this opportunity and from the time I was 11 to 14, did hone my game at the driving range until receiving a junior sponsorship out at Salinas Golf and Country Club.  Another story, another time.  Thanks Cotton.  You were a good man and loved the game of golf and helped many, especially the young, to further enjoy the game.



No comments: