Sunday, January 30, 2011

Over the past year I have attempted to contact the members of the 1969 Salinas High School Stage Band (see below) in order to give them a digitized copy of a March of 69 performance we gave at the School Auditorium. What made this concert unique is that a very special guest artist sat in with us for the evening. His name was Joe Morello, and he played drums for the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Bert Robinson, my neighbor and lifelong friend and excellent bass player was working for Gadsby's Music Company at the time and Gadsby's had arranged to sponsor the evening. The concert was recorded on an open reel tape and had been preserved by Bert for all these years. Thanks to the magic of the digital age, I have been able to digitize the music and it is now available in electronic form. As soon as I figure out how to include the music in a blog, I will do so.

I have included pages from the 1969 yearbook showing the band members. The piano player is Fred Nunnally who was a senior at that time. Also shown below is a nice note received from Fred thanking me for contacting him.

Hard to believe 42 years have transpired!!!!







1 comment:

robin said...

good posts dad... keep 'em coming!