Saturday, November 20, 2010

On Thursday November 4th, Jan and I flew to Tennessee to celebrate Abby's 8th birthday and baptism. We arrived at the Nashville Airport around 7pm and Jamie and Abby were there to pick us up. She is maturing so rapidly and is very cute. During the ride home, I asked her how she felt about the events forthcoming, and she stated that she was excited about her birthday party and that she felt really good about her baptism. This feeling would be consistently expressed throughout the weekend and I couldn't help but think that the Spirit had touched her heart in a warm and special way.

Of course it was great to see the whole family. My what wonderful children. Brooklyn is 9 soon to be 10 in February. She is tall and slender and beautiful-inside and out. I helped her with a history project after which I thought she probably did not want to know that much and I really did make it too complicated. Oh well, she gave her report on Hernando De Soto, early North America explorer, for the family home evening on Monday prior to the class due date on Tuesday. In my book, she got an A+!!!. Lori is simply beautiful and has a twinkle in her eye. Grace is 2 and totally potty trained-very intelligent with no water going under her bridge. She is as cute as a bug. Jamie and Anita are just great parents. Their home is filled with the spirit and they are on the path which leads to the 'Tree of Life'. I am grateful beyond words for their faith and devotion to the Savior.

The Friday Birthday party was by all accounts a huge success. 12+ girls gathered for pizza, games, cupcakes, presents, and Toy Story 3. A highlight of the evening was when everyone was gathered around for dessert and Jamie asked the guests to express something they liked about Abby. Abby enjoyed the comments and was visibly pleased-always a good self-esteem builder.

Saturday,The Baptism Day, rolled around and there we were at the Franklin Chapel which is directly across from the Nashville Temple. Two other youngsters were also being baptized and the Relief Society room-Baptismal font area was filled to overflowing-not the font. I spoke about the Holy Ghost and compared the gift to an i-pod. It was a short talk and appropriately so. I confess to being a little more than nervous! Abbey was baptized by her father and the spirit was in attendance. I was then privileged to be in the confirmation circle while Jamie voiced a blessing upon her head. Again, the spirit was felt. Then, it was over. Nothing to hint of the world's glamor or glitz, just a sweet, sweet feeling of knowing that this is what Heavenly Father has asked us to do. Abby was cute as can be, and I know she felt good inside.


Abby was welcomed as a new member of her Ward on Sunday and we all enjoyed the spirit of the meetings. What was most special was the note Abby penned while waiting for Sacrament Service to begin. She wrote of the excitement of her birthday party, but of more importance was the good and warm feeling she had felt at her baptism! I was moved to tears by her simple yet profound experience with the Holy Spirit. Way to go Abbey!!!!!!!! She read the note to her parents the following day, and I only hope it will be preserved for her to reread and recall in the future.

We stayed the next day and enjoyed visiting a local Southern Plantation that was an HQ for both the Confederate and the Union Army during the Civil War. We had a wonderful Family Home Evening with Brooklyn giving the lesson on Hernando De Soto.

On a side note, Anita recommended the Homestead Manor for Lunch on Friday in nearby Thompson Station. We 'lunched' in a true Southern Style Mansion that actually served as a Confederate Hospital during the Civil War. I had one of the best Talapia dishes I can recall and we just enjoyed the whole ambiance of the place.
On Tuesday I flew home and Jan flew to Florida to spend a week with Josh and Robin.

Here is a pre-Baptism letter I wrote to Abby.

October 26th, 2010
Dearest Abby,

Congratulations on your wonderful decision to follow the Savior Jesus Christ and be baptized into the Church. Your Father in Heaven is so pleased with your choice, and Grammy and I are also.

It will be a privilege to be there with you during this happy and momentous time (Ask your Mom or Dad what that word means). You have started to recognize the Spirit of the Lord in your life through prayer, and study in Family Home Evening and Sunday School and Primary Classes. You are about to receive an extra special gift from your Father In Heaven, the Gift of The Holy Ghost. It will be a companion to you throughout your life and will guide you to do the right things. And what a blessing to have your Dad be able to baptize and confirm you. I did that for him when he was your age and it was an honor to do so.

I was going to send some pictures in this letter of the man who baptized me, Paul Cheesman, and of the building where I was baptized in February of 1973 while attending Brigham Young University, but I could not print them properly, so I sent an e-mail with the pictures to your Dad.
Jesse Knight Building

Have him show you those pictures when you receive this letter. 1973 was a long time ago, and I was much older than you when I was baptized, but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a decision that ultimately changed the course of my life because as a result, I met and married Grammy and our first child was your Dad.

I want you to know that Heavenly Father is real, and so is Jesus Christ, his Son. The Holy Ghost will testify to you, as he has to me, of those truths. And the Heaven’s really will be shouting your name from above, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, so full of love.

See you soon.

Love

Papa Dave and Grammy




1 comment:

robin said...

very nice dad. you are a great grandpa...