Sunday, November 14, 2010

I don't know if it is because I am reading 'To The Rescue" a biography of President Thomas S. Monson, but a very sweet spiritual moment occurred two days ago which I must reflect upon. I was collecting my two payphones at Clay Market here in Salinas when a middle aged man stepped up to use one of the phones. (I just realized that I am almost not middle aged anymore!!! Wow)
He did so, but was having trouble. I queried him and he said that he was trying to call a number in the 510 area code-the East Bay, and that the phone was asking for $1 for 2 minutes which was strange because all of my phones are supposed to charge 50 cents for 5 minutes for all non-local calls. Sure enough, after trial, I discovered the same thing. I promptly gave him some quarters so he could redial and he was most appreciative. He mentioned that he had just been paroled from County Jail and was attempting to reach a friend in the Bay Area. I shook hands with Mark Pratt and we became instant friends. I sent him to another phone on Main Street and asked him to make the same call and see if the phone asked for the amount noted above. He did so and called my cell phone number, which I gave him, and reported that indeed the phone was asking for the incorrect amount. I thanked him and would later in the day reprogram all my phones to reflect the proper charges, and then invited him to lunch at Habanero's with Craig and I. He was grateful to accept and did so. We met and enjoyed a good meal together.

Tuesday 11-16-2210

His story unfolded. He is 46 years old from Houston and was adopted. Both his adoptive parents are now deceased. He has two grown children and has been married twice, both ending in divorce. His children want nothing to do with him and he is basically friendless and homeless here in Salinas. He must remain within 50 miles of the area while on parole. He has not been able to gain access to any of the shelters so far, so it is a pretty meager situation for him, to say the least. Of more importance, is the sincerity I sensed in him to make his life better. He actually had violated parole some time ago and wound up on the East Coast, but according to him, he was always looking over his shoulder. He came back to the West Coast and turned himself in to finish his parole and do whatever else needed to get his record cleared. Whether or not it is all a lie really doesn't matter. I just know that he is currently sleeping in a little alcove by the Salinas Library with nothing more than a coat, a blanket, and two pair of pants for protection against the cold. I weighed very heavily bringing him to the house and allowing him to sleep and shower here for a time. I decided against because Jan is away and this would certainly be a decision both of us would have to make. He also expressed faith in God and I could sense in him no anger or blame or any of the so called usual prison attitudes, only a longing to make his life right. So what could I do? I treated him to lunch and we parted and I asked him to call again. He called yesterday and asked if I knew of any other agencies he could contact to see about housing. I will respond this morning with a few suggestions supplied by Bishop Varney. I have also programmed a few free phone numbers Mark calls on one of the Clay Street payphones so that he doesn't have to beg for quarters to make the calls. What else can I do? He is so appreciative of any kindness. I will probably be able to give him a Book of Mormon. Perhaps I will arrange with Miguel at Habanero's for Mark to be able to have some more meals there. I know that If I were to call Miguel and tell him the situation, he would discount the meal(s) for me. So.... I continue to be thankful that I am able to help this soul. Time will tell

1 comment:

robin said...

wow dad... what an experience. you are so kind to do all that. but yeah, it is probably a good thing not to have a homeless man sleeping in the house when mom returns.