Thursday, October 28, 2010

I just returned from an evening of Celebration and music. Through the efforts of some dear friends and admirers, Mary Finlayson now has an official website with her musical compositions listed and made available to the public through the Internet. The evening's festivities were held in the Valparaiso Ward Annex building in Menlo Park, site of most of the Valparaiso Singers rehearsals and some concerts. Friends and family joined together to witness the 'launching' of the website and to hear some of her music performed. The 'Valpies', of which I am part, sang two of her choral Works, 'None Other Lamb' and another which is not posted as yet. Russ Hancock, a fine Pianist and musician, emceed the evening and in fact was the catalyst for getting Mary to learn how to use the music composition software known as 'Sibelius'.

Mary and her husband Norris have been friends of the Valparaiso Singers for years. They traveled with us to Russia in 2000. Several of her pieces were written for the Choir and it is just wonderful that they are now made available. She is a gracious and humble lady and it has been a privilege to know them. I am going to sing her solo piece, 'How Great Thou Art', sometime in the future. She is going to transpose it for me and then send a copy.

I have often reflected upon the special gifts that composers have. After all , where would we as performers be without them. I highly recommend the link to her website above.

No comments: