Sunday, November 29, 2009

I'm back. Not that any one missed me, but I have just been plain lazy and have had to deal with a lack of energy in keeping my posts' current. Be that as it may, here we go.

Jamie turned 33 yesterday. My heavens, can it be possible? I will turn 58 this coming Saturday!!!!! Can this be possible? Brooklyn, my oldest grandchild, will be 9 in February!!! How did this happen? I imagine Jamie and Anita are wondering the same thing.

The Thanksgiving season came and went. Craig joined us for the week previous and we enjoyed his stay with us. (He loves to shop and spent 'Black Friday' morning (why is the day after Thanksgiving called Black Friday anyway?) buying all our Christmas gifts for the Grandkids. thanks son. He will graduate from BYU-Idaho in April in Advertising-graphic design and then will be out in the work world looking for employment. The other day I calculated that since 1995, one or more of our children has been in college with the exception of the two years Craig was on his mission. I had the good fortune to have a business that supplied enough income to pay for all of this educational activity and to have kids that chose to go to one or another 'Church sponsored' School, another blessing indeed.

Craig and I traveled to SF last Wednesday and saw the musical 'Wicked'. It was entertaining, but not compelling as was Les Miserables. The new Broadway 'voice' is very interesting in that over the past few years, the sound of the voice has changed from the operatic open vowel sound, to a shrill almost pointed sound that is very nasal in timbre. At times, this sound is almost annoying, but... it is the new thing. I guess there always has to be a new 'thing' somewhere, somehow.

We are having success at the prison as of late. I have been going for over a year now, and am getting used to the routine. Art and I are splitting up in the morning to conduct meetings in separate yards. Brother Doug Humble has joined us and has been a welcome addition. Two more brethren are supposed to sign on and when this does happen, we will probably rotate assignments and be able to attend our own wards on Sundays once again. Either way, I know that my testimony has grown as I have labored among these men who have made some very grievous mistakes in their lives. Nevertheless, the Atonement does work for each of them and I have seen the enabling power of its effects changing attitudes and softening hearts, for which I am grateful.

I do see the hand of the Lord guiding my family on a daily basis. The very fact that each has a living testimony is evidence enough. So many families have a 'black sheep' or one less active. What a privilege to have all my sheep in the fold and following the true Shepherd. I could not ask for more.

I know I am being guided as I read the scriptures or teach a principle to the inmates or share my testimony with them, or home teach, or just sit and be still. There is a wonderful power that makes all around us alive and I sense it from time to time. It is a joyous, happy feeling that all is well and that I am in good hands.

I just returned from Palo Alto and Valparaiso Singers rehearsal. We are preparing for next Sunday's Creche Concerts. The music we will be performing is magnificent. Truly I do feel the spirit when singing with this group. Someone asked me how I manage to spend the day 'in prison' and then travel north for rehearsal and return late in the evening. I replied that I love to sing and to hear ' the harmonies' that I hear. It brings peace and joy to my soul. I simply do not tire of such things.

Goodnight, for now.

1 comment:

robin said...

you're silly dad. wicked is awesome. just accept it.

glad the prison is so great. i love telling people that you go to the prison. wish we could be there for the annual creche concert! that was always my favorite thing about christmas time. . .

come to tennessee!!