Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Good news is everywhere! We are going to have a new Grandson!!! Scotty and Kiana found out yesterday and shared the sonogram findings with us. Joy for Joy. He will be a beautiful boy. The Lord's hand is upon them as they prepare for parenthood. I am reminded of 32 years ago when Jamie was born. I did not even know enough to be unprepared for parenthood, but as I look back on it now, the spirit blessed me with clarity of purpose and insights throughout our child-raising years so that we could succeed. To have four wonderful children that are Temple worthy, who seek the companionship of the Holy Ghost and three of which who have married so well, are blessings not to be counted lightly.

I did not attend the Prison services Sunday past. I missed them but it was good to be with the members of the 1st Ward, and of course Jan. Dad and I visited Sister Elaine Sewell who is recovering from major back surgery. Sister Sewell is the mother of my first home teaching companion David Sewell back in 1974. She has not been particularly active over the years and just recently lost her husband in a tragic bicycle accident. Two of her three children are very active and Dave and I have stayed in touch all these years now. I am praying for help to know what she needs to come back to full fellowship. We gave her a Priesthood blessing as her new home teachers.

Last night, I stood at the corner of Laurel and N Main holding a placard for the yes vote on Proposition 8 which comes before the voters on November 4th. If passed, the California Constitution will be amended to permanently ( well, nothing is permanent in these politically correct days) define marriage as between a man and woman. Our church leaders have asked the members in California to join in the statewide effort of many other religious groups to insure the passage of this proposition. Last Saturday President Locke and I walked up and down Willow Street sharing info on the proposition and encouraging all to vote yes. I will spend a few more hours stumping on Oak and Pine Streets and then we will see what happens. I believe the Lord's hand will move the good people of this State and the not-so-good to vote affirmatively for this measure. It will be made so through faith.

After returning home, Lynda Hill and daughter Holly Bright were here to get some quilting help from Jan. Jim Hill came by and asked me to help administer to Lynda who is suffering from a cold or illness. I anointed and Jim sealed the anointing and pronounced a short blessing of health. It is always a privilege to use the Priesthood to bless the lives of others.

2 comments:

robin said...

what dad? i can just picture you picketting.

how embarassing! :)

i'm sure mom loved that . . .

craig shipley said...

good for you dad! i've talked to all my friends too!