Friday, August 22, 2008

My Sweets is back. All is well, all is well. I picked her up at the SJ airport last night at 9pm and she had had a long day-16hours of driving and flying. She didn't sleep much so I suggested she take it easy today and then retire early tonight. The pictures she took of Ithaca were beautiful, not to mention Parker, Macy and Oliver, and Robin and Josh. They are getting settled in and have found many new friends. It is very apparent the Lord's hand is blessing them in all ways.

Yesterday I talked with Brooklyn, Abby and Lori, but not Grace (yet). What great things are in store for them!!. I just felt a great uplift after visiting with them. Brooklyn is now in 2nd Grade, and Abby in Kindergarten. I received good reports as they shared what they have been doing in class. Abby is supposed to make a picture for me and send it as soon as completed. It will surely hang on the wall of remembrances (The famous refrigerator door!!!). The Lord is blessing their lives and Jamie and Anita's also.

Wednesday's Temple shift was especially busy. The Napa Stake had over 230 people in attendance for the 7pm session and the Tongan Stake was also there for the 6pm session. I officiated the regular 7pm session in the small room and I was just struck by the faithfulness of the people present, mostly young (25-40- Wow, that is young now!) couples. It is a true blessing to work in the Lord's house on a continuous basis. I find myself looking forward to Wednesday evenings more and more.

Saturday August 23rd, 2008

A very sacred announcement found its' way to my ears yesterday at of all places, the golf course.
Mike Campbell, husband of Julie Hintgen (Ferguson), approached me with a wonderful spirit about him that was noticeable before we even began talking and shared that he was being baptized on August 30th at the Stake Center. Wow, Wow, Wow!!! I hugged him and we simply shared a truly spiritual moment. Julie and I go back to our single adult days here in the Monterey Stake in the spring and summer of 1974. Julie was baptized and we became good friends. I even took her on one date. She attended BYU that fall and we shared many talks and wonderful experiences at that time. We have stayed close all these years. She married Craig Ferguson from this area in the late 70's and they had two sons, but divorced in the late 80's. She met Mike and they married, but of course Mike was not a member. Long story short, he has been through many sets of missionaries over the past several years, and one day a couple of years ago Julie called and asked if I could help Mike with his golf game which I did. He was in a serious auto accident shortly thereafter, and Julie asked if I would go and administer to him, which I gladly did. We have since made occasional contact, but not in a deliberate way. Because of the teaching of the current set of missionaries, Mike shared with me that it was just time to do the right thing. It was very apparent that he had received a witness of the spirit as to the truth of the work.

Julie called me last night to give the baptismal details, and she said that Mike made a special trip to the golf course to share the news with me. We truly do not know how we affect people only in the fact that sometimes it takes so little to make a difference. I was humbled by this good man's heart and spirit. I can in no way take any credit for his decision because it was obviously a collection of 'little things' that led to the big thing. I did get to feel the joy of 'one soul being brought unto the Lord'.

1 comment:

robin said...

awesome dad!

we miss you. thanks for the message the other day. i've been waiting for the right time to call you back. now that i can't use the phone while i'm driving, those times are rare!