Monday, August 18, 2008

We had a wonderful Stake Temple Session. The chapel was full and the large endowment room likewise. I spoke regarding the fact that everyone there was part of the fulfillment of Isaiah's and Malachi's prophecy regarding Temple work in the last days. I invited all in attendance to take advantage of the marvelous tool The Lord has put in our hands, even the NewFamilySearch program. There was also a sweet spirit present in the Sealing Room as Mom and Dad acted as proxies for Dad's aunt Mildred and her husband Carl Manhart. Lisa Varney acted as proxy for Mildred who was sealed to her parents James Temple Gayle and Emma Burnette Kaufman, Nana and Papa acting as parental proxies. Also, Pat Miljarak was sealed to her parents. She has been doing family history work for many years but has just now been able to do this work. The spirit attended this sealing, and all present were privileged to feel it's warmth and light.



On the way to the Temple, Jamie called and they have received an offer on their condominium in Stanton. Wow! Considering the awful economy and housing market, to have sold so quickly is a definite blessing from above. They will net enough to put a good down payment on a bigger house somewhere other than California.



The Sabbath was a delight. I helped pass the Sacrament and could not help reflecting upon my boys doing their 'Priestly' duties in years now gone by. The missionaries came to the house and we taught Malena discussion 3-The Gospel-from Preach My Gospel. She is doing wonderfully and will be going to the Temple in two weeks with the youth to do proxy baptisms. I have invited her to come to the house this coming Saturday when Jan is here so that we can get started on NewFamilySearch. The goal is to have some family names ready for her to take to the Temple. The missionaries did not have a dinner appointment, so I threw some stuff together and we made it work.



Today has gone by peacefully enough. I am so blessed to be in good health. Dad and I will fulfill a Home Teaching assignment in just awhile and visit the Zielke's.



If we serve the Lord with all our might, mind, heart, and strength, as the scriptures teach, the Lord will give us a new heart and a new mind, and more strength through the grace of the Atonement, and more might to do right. All are gifts from above and are conditioned upon our diligence and faith. I have been feeling as if the Lord is giving me a new heart to do family history work and a new mind to further overcome my sins of omission. I am trying to obey the spirit more promptly and eliminate those things in my life that are distractions. I have pretty much been able to stop listening to and reading the 'news' of the world which is so negative and sensationalized. I am trying to watch less television and have succeeded somewhat, but my eventual goal is to do away with it altogether. The above thoughts have been triggered by 'thy will be done' questions posed in Conference and in the scriptures. Brother Hilbig in a talk last October titled 'Quench Not the Spirit Which Quickens the Inner Man' posed some very pointed 'Thy will' questions:
1. Do I spend more time with sports than Church attendance or callings?
2. If I have a free day, do I choose to attend the temple or to visit the mall?
3. Do I resort to computer games or surfing the internet rather than offering
meaningful service to others in my home and community?
4. Do I read the newspaper religiously but find it difficult to read the scriptures daily?
And then he states, "Whatever level of spiritual development each of us may presently have, there always exists a higher level within our reach."

From the Book of Mormon, Alma asks in chapter 5, "Have you spiritually been born of God?" Have you stripped yourself of pride? and at least 20 other 'thy will' questions. So, there is work to do and I hope to do it.

August 19th, 2008 (Tuesday)

Today was a great day. I helped Carrie Fischer's husband Dubin with a golf lesson, and he responded well. I talked with Parker and Jan on the phone and that was a blessing. I miss Jan.
The Broadway Classics Ensemble reunited at Linda Purdy's house tonight and we just had a ball. A week ago Monday I could not stand it any longer and I called Linda to see if she wanted to get back together. Actually, I called the Monterey First Night Organization to see if they were still accepting applications for this coming New Years Eve which they were. Then I started calling the members of the group and they all jumped at the chance. So, we will wait to hear from First Night, but even if not we already have a gig in January and who knows? I just missed the camaraderie and singing and joyous music we have made in the past. Music has been such a blessing in my life. I am not even sure I can fully appreciate how much so, but I do know that I do see the Lord's hand in that aspect of my life from a very early age.

No comments: