Friday, January 25, 2013

Good and Bad New Years News

Well, for sure, I have gotten away from what the intention was in starting this blog diary.  What is even more revealing to me is that every time I hear Elder Eyring speak,  he is sharing his insights into how the Lord has had a hand in his life and family matters. So, here we go.  I would be remiss if I did not relate the events of the past several weeks, saying up front that I have indeed felt ‘his’ hands on me, whether via blessing or a feeling of peace.
On Friday December 28, I underwent two medical procedures.  The first is called an EGD.  This is the camera down the mouth and into the stomach to see what is going on in the gastrointestinal tract.  Dr. Mustoe, my cardiologist (that sounds so weird to say I have a cardiologist) suggested that we do this test stemming from the recurring symptoms I am having which resemble those associated with my heart attack.  After seeing him on December 22nd,  we pretty much were stumped as to how why this feeling of strong heartburn is happening.  As an elimination process, he referred me for the EGD.  So, at the appointed time I appeared at the Gastroenterologist office and did in fact have the procedure.  It was simply a piece of cake as they gave me a ‘rummy-forget where you are’ drug.  I awoke and 30 minutes had elapsed!  I now have a 3 page pictorial of my ‘innards’ all the way down to my stomach.  It turns out I have a  bacteria called H-Pylori somewhere down there so I am on an antibiotic routine that started a week ago and ends this coming week.  This bacteria is a common strain that many people have, but evidently it can lead to ulcers, so…  I will go do a ‘breath test’ in a couple of weeks to determine if the drug regime was successful.  These antibiotics also leave a horrible metallic taste in your mouth and around your lips.  Oh well.   So onto the next little procedure, or so I thought.  I was referred to an Urologist by my family doctor so in October I visited Dr. Sweet who performed a prostate exam.  He suggested a biopsy procedure just to be on the safe side.  Due to my taking anti-platelet drugs for my heart stent, the scheduling of that biopsy became more difficult.  It is necessary to be ‘off’ the anti-platelets 5 days prior to any procedure involving the possibility of the loss of blood.  I was finally cleared to go ahead and do this, and it turned out that it was, what I thought, perfect timing.  I would be able to ‘kill two birds with one stone’ and do both procedures in one day.  What a man, huh?  Well, I refer to the word biopsy as sounding singular, is it not?  NOT!!!!  I arrived at Dr. Sweets office at 2:30 pm having been ‘flushed’ from a fleet enema (no further description necessary) and after taking a vicadin.  I should have known that what was to follow was not going to be easy, but…  I was rolled up in position and then was given two shots of local anesthetic directly into my prostate.  It was becoming clearer that what was coming may not be the most pleasant of events.  The biopsy turns out to be 12 ‘snippings’ of tissue from various parts of the prostate.  So much for the singular definition.  After the first, I knew I was going to have a rather peculiar and painful experience.  So much for the vicadin!!!   The best words I can use to describe what I felt are as follows.  I could imagine a ‘bear trap’ closing on the tissue and then hearing a popping sound like an air gun that somehow removed the  small sample needed.  Of course I did not look directly at the tool used, but it would not have hurt any less if I had.  I found myself counting the number wishing the 12th would be over SOON!.  Imagine my surprise when one of the samples was deemed unacceptable and the sorry words were spoken “One More Time”.   Ooh….    Thankfully, the whole process was over in about two minutes,  but I write this for all future Shipley generations---If you ever have to have this done to you, do not take a vicadin!!  Tell them in no uncertain terms you want to be totally ‘knocked out’, even if they have to use a 2X4 to do it!!!!!    I was informed that there would probably be some blood in my urine and stools (sorry to be so graphic but it sets the stage for what followed) and that this was normal.  Keep in mind that December 28th was a Friday!  I walked home as Dr. Sweets office is located on Romie Lane Street not far from the house.  Jan was on the phone when I called so I didn’t want to wait.  The walk was not too bad, although it could be construed that I must have looked like someone with a ‘load’ on their mind, if you catch my drift.  So… 7pm came and I could not urinate! 8pm came, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 11:55pm!!!  Just as my May 31st heart attack induced a pain that I do not recommend anybody endure, so to was this very ‘how exquisite you know not’ pain of not being able to do what your body must do to rid itself of impurities.  (I think I worded that pretty well, didn’t I?)  Now it is almost Saturday so I called the messaging center at the Urologist  office to speak with an on-call doctor.  I know I woke him which didn’t bother me in the least because I was certainly wide awake!!!  He told me to go the Emergency Room at Salinas Valley Memorial and they would know what to do.  This time I had the sense to have Jan drive me to the Hospital and after checking in and completing the necessary paperwork, a good nurse administered what I can now describe as 'Death By Tethering'----a catheter.  Need I say more????  The relief was heavenly but the next four days were anything but....  I sat on the couch or in bed and literally tried not to move because of the severe discomfort in trying to do so.  Happy New Year!!!!!!  NOT........
I even got sick of watching the Rose Parade and way too much football.  On Wednesday the 2nd I was more than ready to be 'untethered'.  Janet at Dr. Sweet's office performed the catheter removal and it was appropriately 'sweet'.  However, by the next day, urination pain level had reached 10-11.  Jan and I were heading out to Costco when I discovered blood spots on my pants.  Yikes!!!  I was getting pretty worried by then thinking I was clotting up again and would need to be reattached once more!!!   I camped on Dr Sweet's door until 1:15pm and Janet was able to see me at once. Well, wouldn't you know it, she asked me for a urine sample.  Thank you very much.  Anticipating the pain is like knowing the Titanic is about to sink, but you don't know exactly when.  I collected the sample and amazingly there was no pain whatsoever involved!!  I thought I was having an out of body experience!!!  I emerged from the bathroom a different person!!!   Janet and I talked and I told her what had just happened. She listened attentively and took notes and said all this was fairly common.  Ok,  thanks for the heads-up.  Anyway,  things quieted down dramatically over the next 5 days and a sense of  'normalcy' has prevailed.

 January 24th, 2013  Thursday

Now for the good and bad news.  This past Tuesday I got the results from the EGD biopsy and all is well.  I do not have any ulcers or stomach cancer.  The prostate biopsy, on the other hand, was not as favorable.  On the 15th,  I had an appointment to see Dr. Sweet.  He was called out for an emergency surgery, and Teresa, his Nurse, shared the results with me.  I have prostate cancer.  Three of the 12 samples showed cancer cells present with a rating of two 6's and one 7.  So,  I am now deciding what the best treatment will be.  Fortunately, it has been detected in time and the cure rate is very high.  Possible actions are as follows:  Do nothing and wait and watch-not recommended at this stage:  Radiation, either external or internal-external is 5 days a week for 8 weeks for about 5 to 10 minutes-internal is the surgical insertion of 'radiant' seeds directly into the prostrate-a one time deal: Surgical removal of entire prostate-Cancer would be removed totally but I think I am too young for such a drastic treatment.  I am leaning toward the radiant seeds, but am still considering the external treatment also.  I have already talked with a golfing friend who was treated externally, and he stated the side effects were minimal.  In fact, since I have mentioned having this diagnosis, many have come forth and shared their own dealings with this 'most common' of male cancers.  I am not afraid and take comfort that I am in good shape mentally and physically.  But I must say that in the last 7 months I have pretty much 'run the table'  with my HA/C-heart attack and cancer conditions.  Turning 60 and 61 wound up being the pits.  Oh well, time to move forward.

`

No comments: