Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Tribute To Mike Brannan


Michael Brannan
United States Golf Assn. Jr Champion 1972


Nor-Cal Sr Amateur Champion 2012

     I returned home to Salinas in June 1971 after completing a very successful ‘golf’ run.  I had played well enough at BYU in the Spring to earn a spot on the team that would compete in the NCAA  College Championship held at Tucson National in Tucson Arizona.  Coach Tucker arranged for me to compete in the Salt Lake City Amateur at Bonneville Golf Course and then drive with Chip Garriss to Phoenix to play in the prestigious Southwestern Amateur.  From there we would would continue on to Tucson and the NCAA Tournament.  I shot 74-65 at Bonneville to finish 2nd, then 10 under at the Southwestern to finish in the top 10, then t-4th at the NCAA from which I garnered 3rd team All-American status.  I arrived in Salinas a ‘conquering hero’, or so I thought.  I had known the Brannan family for some time as Jerry, the father, was a regular ‘money’ player at Fairways Golf Course.  I heard that Mike had played well as a High School Freshman and was really starting to make a name for himself.  I called Coach Tucker and suggested he keep an eye on Mike as a possible future recruit.  Little did I know!!!!   Two months later at age 15  Mike won the United States Junior Golf Association Championship.  He was the youngest player to ever do so, a record which stood for 20 years until a younger 15 year old ‘phenom’  Tiger Woods won the 1991 championship.  Mike did go to BYU and became a standout performer.  His list of golfing accomplishments earned him spots in the California and BYU Golf Halls of Fame.  Mike succumbed to Cancer on January 8th after a 3 year bout with the disease.  He was 57 and way too young to go. I knew of his illness through his dad with whom I kept in golfing contact.  Mike was one of the best to ever play the game.  His ‘short' game was unparalleled and he was a fierce, though quiet,  competitor.  We stayed in touch throughout the years and in 2002, I arranged a few rounds of golf with Mike and other BYU alumni up in the Bay area.  In fact, when I started playing again at age 50, Mike was the first person I called to order a ‘long’ putter from the Ping Golf Company, for which Mike worked as a sales representative.
     Mike’s funeral was January 18th up in the East Bay Area.  Several of  the Fairways golf group drove up to pay their respects.  Over 400 people were in attendance.  For me, it was like old Nor-Cal Golf home week as I saw many friends from Jr Golf days back in the 60’s as well as a few BYU teammates, Pat McGowan and Ray Leach.  Pat delivered an excellent eulogy.  He and Mike were very close friends.  Farewell my golfing friend.



No comments: