Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Patriarch Ririe's book and Sister Ramos



One of the greatest Christmas gifts I have ever received is displayed above. I had heard that our Patriarch Ririe was writing a book about his WW11 bombardier and POW experiences, but when Jan handed me the gift Christmas morning, tears came to my eyes quite readily. Brother Ririe had given it to her the week previous in Church and told her he wanted us to have a copy!!!

Over the past 25 years, my whole family has been privileged to be near Patriarch Ririe, and in fact, all four children have received their patriarchal blessings from his hands. We have listened to him at firesides and camp outs and informal talks tell of his experiences and have forever felt of his noble spirit!!! If ever there was a more wonderful, spiritual man I have not met him!!. I simply could not put the book down until it was finished. He is a true hero, but as he would only say and defer, "The real heroes did not come back", or, "There were many who were a lot worse off than I ever was!" Well, I can only speak for myself when I say that it was a privilege to read about this man who was willing to 'give his life for his friends'.

I visited with the Riries last week and shared with them my feelings about the book. He turns 90 this month and is still well 'spiritually' preserved. To be in his presence is truly a blessing, as it is with Sister Ririe as well. They have been acquainted with many sorrows in their lives, most recently with serious health issues. They lost a son 5 years ago and some of their grandchildren have gone astray, but through it all, they are 'weathered' in the spirit.

The book can be purchased through Teton Crest Publishing. tetoncrest.com



Here is a nice thank you letter from Sister Ramos (pronounced Raymos), one of sisters that Terry Smith and I home teach.  It was her birthday last week and we took her to the Olive Garden for lunch.  She does not get out too much so it was a nice respite for her.




No comments: