Monday, September 19, 2011

Still More Odds and Ends

A week ago this past Thursday, I ventured to San Francisco to conduct a golf clinic for the Church PR (public relations) group. I did so 6 years ago at Silverado up by Napa. What usually happens is my good golfing friend Richard Harris, who is responsible for the golf activity, calls Johnny Miller or Mike Reid and they come and do the clinic bit. When they cannot make it, the scrubs are called and I get to go. Actually it is an enjoyable day and an opportunity to represent the church in hopefully a better light. What happens is that the PR group puts on an appreciation dinner and program for the foreign consuls in San Francisco who arrange all the worldwide travel visas for the outgoing missionaries of the church. These people make it possible for us to enter their respective countries and conduct church proselyting and other functions. The event was held at The Presidio Golf Course, a track that I have always wanted to play but never did. I arranged with Richard to stay at his house





and we played Friday morning in the typical fog of the San Fran area. The course has been renovated and is in fairly good shape. It is very hilly and the greens are very sloped. I didn't play well but enjoyed the course tremendously.




We conducted the clinic in the cold and fog around 5:30pm prior to the dinner. I met some wonderful consuls from Vietnam, Columbia, Honduras, and Guatemala and we helped them with their golf games. All were appreciative. The dinner was exceptionally good though sparsely attended. This was the first renewal of the event since the previous one staged at Silverado, so it is just getting up and running once again. Several members from the performing groups at BYU performed for the dinner. Pictured are the Blue Grass band, the cloggers, and the Native Indian Dancer.






I drove home on Saturday via Hwy 1 from San Fran to Santa Cruz. I had forgotten how beautiful that drive was. It was a great weekend considering Jan was in Florida visiting all the little Floridians!!.

1 comment:

robin said...

cool, dad. i miss california... boo hoo.