The initial list included the following:
1. Take the Carmel Valley Road up and around to Arroyo Seco Road and back to Salinas.
2. Take the Pinnacles National Monument western access road from Hwy 101 and back.
3. Visit the Grand Canyon(I have been once when very young but Jan has not)
4. Visit Yosemite(I have been many times as a youth but again Jan has not)
It is a short list, but will grow. The first was crossed off two Saturdays passed. At 2pm I just said to Jan, "Let's take the Carmel Valley Road trip." We both had a million things to do, places to be, people to meet, and all that jazz, but... we did it and we were glad for the effort. The day was beautiful and the vistas grand. I also strolled down memory lane a bit as will be further illustrated. Needless to say, we had a great time and felt good about accomplishing one of our 'bucket list' goals.
The first thing Jan said was, "You have to have a picture(s) of the road if you want this to be a 'road trip', so.... here it (they) is/are. I am bilingual-Good and Bad English!




The first thing Jan said was, "You have to have a picture(s) of the road if you want this to be a 'road trip', so.... here it (they) is/are. I am bilingual-Good and Bad English!




Notice the shine on top of my head!! I know you are thinking it's because he is going bald. What can I say!!!
It is hard to believe that for as many years as I have lived in this beautiful area, I never took this little 'back road' jaunt. I had always heard the road was winding, which it was, and that it turned to a dirt road in some sections, which it did not. Several biker groups on a Saturday 'ride' passed us only to be passed by us as they paused at a scenic turnout to enjoy a pleasant view of looking south across the rocky ridges toward the Salinas Valley.

Carmel Valley Road eventually winds up dead-ending onto the Arroyo Seco Road about a mile below Miller's Lodge. I always thought the road going past Miller's was the same that continued into Carmel Valley, but obviously it was not. Arroyo Seco Rd does continue up to Fred's Camp and to The Indians, a popular swimming place with, as I understand from Brother Ed Fischer who took many a scout there, including Jamie and Scott, a fantastic cliff from which to dive.
It is hard to believe that for as many years as I have lived in this beautiful area, I never took this little 'back road' jaunt. I had always heard the road was winding, which it was, and that it turned to a dirt road in some sections, which it did not. Several biker groups on a Saturday 'ride' passed us only to be passed by us as they paused at a scenic turnout to enjoy a pleasant view of looking south across the rocky ridges toward the Salinas Valley.
Bottle Brushes
Carmel Valley Road eventually winds up dead-ending onto the Arroyo Seco Road about a mile below Miller's Lodge. I always thought the road going past Miller's was the same that continued into Carmel Valley, but obviously it was not. Arroyo Seco Rd does continue up to Fred's Camp and to The Indians, a popular swimming place with, as I understand from Brother Ed Fischer who took many a scout there, including Jamie and Scott, a fantastic cliff from which to dive.Why am I detailing this so? The reason for is that my Dad, Glen, was the bartender at the lodge during the early and middle 60's. The lodge and campground were owned by Vern and Kathy Cardell who were friends of Dad. Dad actually worked his way down the Salinas Valley and eventually up into the mountains. He worked as a bartender at the various Valley bowling alleys including Soledad and King City. Of course Mom and Dad were divorced, but I did get to spend time with him, usually overnight but sometimes for a weekend or a week during summer break.
He actually lived on site, and the picture below shows an old Quonset hut style 'cabin' that is located at the end of the camp along the river bend. There were four of these style huts, but two are now gone, one of which my father lived in. The cabins were in much better shape back then, at least I hope so!!!! I very much remember lazy days and summer excursions up and down the river throwing rocks at water spiders and yes, I hate to admit it, shooting frogs with bb guns and then selling the legs to the lodge kitchen. My older brother Glen actually made me do this!!!! Well maybe not too much. I also distinctly remember reading several science fiction novels while there, among them, 'Send For Johnny Dangerfield' and 'A Voyage To Arcturus".
This is a picture of an 'outhouse' located near the old Quonset huts. Directly opposite is a wonderful little bend in the Arroyo Seco River which is perfect for wading and tubing and rafting, which the river has always been famous for. I don't know why we didn't take any pictures of the river. Oh Well.
Here is a shot of the little cabin, or what is left of it, where Vern and Cathy lived. It is located across from the Lodge at the entrance to the campground.
I had to go inside the Lodge!. A young man sits by the entrance and admits campers and hikers but the Lodge itself has been closed or condemned for many years now. What memories. The pool table room is still intact!!
Here is the view down to the river from the bar/lounge area. the glass was always, and still is, tinted blue. Just out and to the left is a little patio area where I played many a shuffleboard game to pass the time. The lodge had a coffee shop style counter for serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. A juke box played music for 10 cents a play. I remember listening to Johnny Horton's, 'The Battle of New Orleans'. Also in a little enclave was the original Shoot The Bear Gallery Game. Check out the link to youtube. It is really cool!! And of course located very near the lodge entrance was the coca-cola dispenser!!! I still remember the taste of these oh so refreshing liquids during hot summer days. They also dispensed Nesbitt's sodas, to which I ascribe my infinite dislike for orange drinks, but they did have a good root beer named Hires.
Here is the cabin directly across Arroyo Seco Rd from the entrance to the campground where Dad also lived. It is in bad shape now and is unlivable, but from this little hut Dad and I took many fishing trips down the river. We would leave in the early morning and usually walk about a mile or two down the river(see next photo) to where the river took a sharp turn and then head back to camp. Invariably, we would always catch fish and sometimes our 21 fish limit of rainbow or golden brown trout. The river was stocked back then and people used to come from far and wide for the fishing. Dad was a great fisherman and taught me how to work the stream and where the best places were to catch fish. I inherited his fishing 'tackle' and several poles after his auto accident in the mid 60's, which by the way, occurred on that same Arroyo Seco Rd only down in the flat row crop land towards Soledad and Greenfield. I used his tackle and rods for a college summer fishing expedition near Leadore Idaho with my Freshmen year roommate Rob Oneill and his father. At the completion of this Idaho trip, we stopped in Pocatello at Rob's grandmother's house and I left the tackle and rods there thinking we were going to return. We never did and I regret to this day the loss of my Dad's prized tackle box which had many lures, flies, etc., which were hand-made by him.And so completed our first bucket list adventure. More to come with I am sure more memories to relate.


2 comments:
wow dad! neat post. i love reading about your childhood memories because we don't hear about them that often...or ever!
glad that you and mom are doing these things!
haha ditto to robin's comment. love the bucket list idea!!
Post a Comment