
From: gary.plumlee@unlv.edu
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:14 PM
Subject: Mel's Drive In
Anyone remember this place? Sent to me compliments of Judie (Gustafson) Chandler-Press.
Do I remember it? How about this. In the late 50's and early 60's, My mom (Bernice Shipley) rented the house owned by Dr Smith at 12 Oak Street. 12 Oak Street is no longer an address because the original Fosters bought the property and expanded their parking lot some years later. (I am sure there are many who remember the original 'cruising route' on Main Street that included the Foster's parking lot as a turnaround point. Does anyone recall the riot that started down at A&W and spilled over to Foster's I believe in 1961 or 2? There was a big hedge that separated our house from the original parking lot). I used to cut through the back alley behind Salinas Insurance and the old Hanks Drug store on the corner of Acacia and Main and head over to Toy's Galore or Food City. Guess what business was in between desitinations. Good ole Mel's. My grandmother lived in the duplex in the 2nd block of Oak Street and every Friday night she would walk up the street to our house and then we would walk that same route to Mel's. There we would sit at the horseshoe shaped chrome counter and I would 'eye' the wonderful german chocolate cake at the end of the counter. It always seemed that this cake was bigger than life. It probably wasn't every Friday either, but that's how I am going to remember it as a young 6 or 8 year old. Sad to have seen it go by the wayside, but what a great picture to see once again. Thanks Judie for sharing.
Dave Shipley
Willow Street-Salinas
No comments:
Post a Comment