Thursday, March 3, 2011

Here is a letter and request form received from Prison inmates. The letter is from Brian Human, a middle aged man who has been incarcerated most of his life. When I first started at the Prison, he was one of the inmates who attended our meetings at Salinas Valley. About a year ago he transferred to Soledad (CTF) and came to one service there. Then, he just disappeared. I wrote a letter to him and he finally replied. I thought the response poignant as I remembered he just struggles with demons within. Mostly, he has almost given up hope and I just see that as very sad. Still...


And this request from Stan Wyly, a non-member. It sat in a cubbyhole that we never check for about a year!!! He is in D-Yard of Salinas Valley Prison which is subtitled 'The Hole'. The feeling of isolation is palpable compared to the other yards. The inmates here are allowed two showers weekly. They are allowed one hour of exercise per day in an area called "The Kennels". It is what it sounds like. Caged linked fenced areas about 30' long and 8' wide. A toilet is at one end and that is it. The walls around this yard are 'King Kong' walls with much barbed wire. Tower Guards walk the top of the walls with fingers on automatic rifles. It is definitely very eerie to walk among these gates. Stan is in a wheelchair and is aging rapidly. Again, he has ties through his wife or other family member to the church, so.... We try. I have had several instances where I have been walking toward the D yard and the spirit has said do not go, not that I felt frightened, but just don't go. Last week Art and I both went and visited Stan and it was fine. I will make every effort to visit him on a weekly basis from now on. I thought the wording of his request very poignant and telling.

No comments: