Some of my earliest memories include watching baseball on TV in the mid fifties while sitting on my father Glen's lap. TV back then was an experience. Most of the picture was 'snow' depending on which way the antennae (big, goofy, v-shaped metal shafts protruding from the top of the set) were pointed. Of course there was no color yet, only black and white snow or very grainy picture. Nevertheless, Dad loved the St. Louis Cardinals and Stan (the man) Musial. When the Giants came to San Fran, Dad would take me to see these two teams play at the old Candlestick Park which was built for the new West Coast Team. Stan was great, but there was one greater who captured my attention and admiration. He was the 'Say Hey' kid Willie Mays.
My Dad was a baseball player and I even remember Neece telling me he had played semi-pro ball at one time, although I have never had it verified. (Added note 2-3-2011: In a phone conversation with my brother Glen, He confirmed that (our) Dad was an excellent pitcher, and in fact athlete, in his younger years. Glen remembers Grandmother Shipley telling him that father Glen excelled in all sports and played quarterback in High School. Brother Glen remembered catching for Dad who would throw curve balls and sliders and a whole array of pitches. Evidently, he could have gone pro and possibly made the big leagues, but WWll came along and put a hold on everything. Dad settled for military ball and was discharged in 1951). He did play catch with me and I learned the game from him and from watching the TV. Mom told me that when I was 2 and 3 and 4 years old, I would watch a baseball game and then go out into the back yard of our West Street home in Salinas and imitate all the players and actually run around the bases and make all the throws and plays necessary to win the game. At any rate, I played little league ball starting a 9 years of age until my 12th year. Here is a pic of the 1963 Civic Center Championship Team.
When I get a chance, I will digitize some of the box-scores Neece kept in a little notebook that is still among her remembrances. She kept records of every game I played!!!! Which brings me to the purpose of this post. Neece truly loved the game of baseball. When I was on the A-Team (non-uniform) she actually filled in as coach for one game. She knew the jargon and knew the game well. During the early 60's, close-circuit tv was introduced into the classroom. Mom would finagle a way to get the World Series broadcast into her classroom and there would 'teach' math by showing the kids how to calculate ERA's and RBI's etc. Here is a note from one of her former students who attended Neece's 80th birthday celebration in 1997.


She passed along her love of baseball, along with much else, when all of our kids went to visit in her little apartment behind the carport on Willow Street. Below is a note sent by Scott and a response by Jamie and Jan that better illustrates the influence Neece had on her posterity. She was a wonderful person in so many ways.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Scott Shipley [mailto:smship@gmail.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:36 AM
> To: Jamie Shipley; Janis Shipley; Robin Ladle; Josh Ladle; Craig Shipley;
> Dave Shipley; Kiana Shipley; Anita Shipley
> Subject: Good times
>
> Hey Fam,
>
> So, as some of you may or may not know, the San Francisco Giants won
> the world series last night! YAAAAAAH! So... what does that mean?
> Well, you see, the Giants haven't won since they moved to San
> Francisco in the 1950's, they were the New York Giants prior to that.
> So its a BIG DEAL. I was able to watch most of the world series and
> was with Donovan and Kiana when what was to be the winning home run
> was hit. I jumped and cheered, Don got scared, high fives were given
> and dancing was had... the usual. Good times indeed. As fans of any
> sport know, one championship might be all you get in your whole life,
> if that. I wore my bright orange Giants shirt and matching hat to work
> today, and of course was met with congratulations, as well as the
> inevitable "yah well the Dodgers have more titles still, call me when
> you win a couple more" comments. The day was a good day.
>
> On my way home, I let the music stop for a minute and had a moment to
> think. As I thought about the win, my thoughts finally came full
> circle, all the way around to Neece. How many hours must I have spent
> out in her little house watching those Giants, eating Cheezits and
> drinking lemonade. Just her and I, from a young age, bantering,
> hanging out, watching the game, many nights a week. They never ever
> won it all, but we persisted, year in and year out, good teams and bad
> teams. Those are some of my greatest memories, and definitely was the
> reason Neece and I bonded so well. She would teach me things about the
> game, get frustrated, get happy, laugh, cheer, swear, the whole
> works... but most importantly, she taught me that sports are just
> sports, and have fun with it. We always had that special friendship
> and I cant help but feel like the Giants had something to do with
> that. As all these memories came back, I felt a rush of emotions come
> over, mainly gratitude and happiness, for having Neece in my life, and
> for being able to celebrate with her in my heart. It was a special
> couple minutes, just Neece and I again...
>
> They finally did it Neece, doesn't it feel great.
>
>
> Scott
> From: Scott Shipley [mailto:smship@gmail.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:36 AM
> To: Jamie Shipley; Janis Shipley; Robin Ladle; Josh Ladle; Craig Shipley;
> Dave Shipley; Kiana Shipley; Anita Shipley
> Subject: Good times
>
> Hey Fam,
>
> So, as some of you may or may not know, the San Francisco Giants won
> the world series last night! YAAAAAAH! So... what does that mean?
> Well, you see, the Giants haven't won since they moved to San
> Francisco in the 1950's, they were the New York Giants prior to that.
> So its a BIG DEAL. I was able to watch most of the world series and
> was with Donovan and Kiana when what was to be the winning home run
> was hit. I jumped and cheered, Don got scared, high fives were given
> and dancing was had... the usual. Good times indeed. As fans of any
> sport know, one championship might be all you get in your whole life,
> if that. I wore my bright orange Giants shirt and matching hat to work
> today, and of course was met with congratulations, as well as the
> inevitable "yah well the Dodgers have more titles still, call me when
> you win a couple more" comments. The day was a good day.
>
> On my way home, I let the music stop for a minute and had a moment to
> think. As I thought about the win, my thoughts finally came full
> circle, all the way around to Neece. How many hours must I have spent
> out in her little house watching those Giants, eating Cheezits and
> drinking lemonade. Just her and I, from a young age, bantering,
> hanging out, watching the game, many nights a week. They never ever
> won it all, but we persisted, year in and year out, good teams and bad
> teams. Those are some of my greatest memories, and definitely was the
> reason Neece and I bonded so well. She would teach me things about the
> game, get frustrated, get happy, laugh, cheer, swear, the whole
> works... but most importantly, she taught me that sports are just
> sports, and have fun with it. We always had that special friendship
> and I cant help but feel like the Giants had something to do with
> that. As all these memories came back, I felt a rush of emotions come
> over, mainly gratitude and happiness, for having Neece in my life, and
> for being able to celebrate with her in my heart. It was a special
> couple minutes, just Neece and I again...
>
> They finally did it Neece, doesn't it feel great.
>
>
> Scott
> From: jamieshipley@gmail.com
> To: smship@gmail.com
> CC: janisshipley@hotmail.com; robinladle@hotmail.com; joshua_ladle@hotmail.com; shipwrec@hotmail.com; davidmshipley@gmail.com; kiana.shipley@gmail.com; anitashipley@gmail.com
> Subject: RE: Good times
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:13:58 -0500
>
> Scott,
>
> Thank you for writing that. I agree about having Neece in my life: it was a
> good thing.
>
> Jamie
>
> PS I got to see only game one in a hotel room in Cincinnati. I could not
> find Will Clark on the field. Did you see him? (I know, lame joke.)
>
> To: smship@gmail.com
> CC: janisshipley@hotmail.com; robinladle@hotmail.com; joshua_ladle@hotmail.com; shipwrec@hotmail.com; davidmshipley@gmail.com; kiana.shipley@gmail.com; anitashipley@gmail.com
> Subject: RE: Good times
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:13:58 -0500
>
> Scott,
>
> Thank you for writing that. I agree about having Neece in my life: it was a
> good thing.
>
> Jamie
>
> PS I got to see only game one in a hotel room in Cincinnati. I could not
> find Will Clark on the field. Did you see him? (I know, lame joke.)
>
----- Original Message -----
From: Janis Shipley
To: James Shipley ; Scott Shipley
Cc: robinladle@hotmail.com ; joshua_ladle@hotmail.com ; Craig Shipley ; Dave Shipley ; Kiana Shipley ; Anita Shipley
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:36 AM
Subject: RE: Good times
No comments:
Post a Comment