It isn't too often you receive a letter from the Quorum of the 12. I thought Elder Bednar's acronymical ( I hope that is a word) definition of his 'frequent' golf outings was very funny, and so like him. This letter is to be shared with all who had a hand in making the day for these two wonderful Elders of our church, Akoni Ganir, Ron Miller and our Stake Presidency.On another note, my Temple service last Wednesday evening was somewhat different from the norm. Ken Anderson, our shift coordinator, e-mailed me that I would be officiating the 4pm endowment session, with no assistant officiator assigned. Not a problem. I have done the solo officiating before. In the e-mail Brother Ken also mentioned that Elder Ellis, an area 70 who serves on the Temple oversight committee, would be in the Temple that evening and would be observing some ordinances. Well, you guessed it, I was standing at the alter greeting the company as they entered the endowment room, and in walked our Temple President, President Richard Hunter and his wife Nan, his counselor Brother Harwood and his wife, and Brother Ellis. All went well, and I felt a sweet calmness over the entire session. When completed, I received several commendations. One was for having a smile on my face throughout the ceremony. My fellow workers afterward asked if I was nervous. I told them I had faced too many 6 foot putts to be really nervous. I don't believe the same worldly performance standards can be applied to working in the Temple. We are there to follow the officiating pattern given by the Lord. There is no personal deviation or revelation received regarding this pattern. If so, I fear I would be like the one who tried to 'steady the ark'. Rather, it is a sacred privilege to be considered a conduit for the spirit of these ordinances which can fill the hearts and minds of the patrons who come to worship and serve in the Temple. I felt the hand of the Lord this day in my life reach out to bless me with an assurance I was doing his work.
No comments:
Post a Comment