Thursday, December 11, 2008

My 57th birthday has passed!!! Ok. Next. Actually, all my children called to wish it so and I got to talk with them which is always a treat. We, meaning the mighty foursome of Papa and Nana and Jan and I had a celebratory dinner at the Outback. The waiter brought a 'Spotted Dog' and we minus Jan enjoyed the dessert.

Our annual Creche Concerts went very well Sunday evening. I always enjoy singing the songs of the season. As stated before, this group of Valparaiso Singers is among the best we have had.

I stayed overnight at the Stewarts then drove to Daly City Monday morning and attended a Northern California Golf Assn Club Presidents meeting at Lake Merced Golf and Country Club. The meeting was short and the golf very enjoyable, mainly because I was able to relive some past glory. This golf course was where I won the 1969 Northern California Junior Golf Championship and went on to be named the top Junior Player for that year which of course set me on track to attend BYU. The rest as they say, is history. The weather was outstanding. I shot a 74 which wasn't too bad. It was enjoyable to reminisce with my playing partners about the championship almost 40 years ago. The event was match play which means head-to-head competition. In the first round, I played Bruce Robertson who was a good player from the Palo Alto area. We tied after regulation 18 and headed down the first hole in a sudden death playoff. We both parred the hole and on the second hole, I pushed my drive into the trees and came out into a greenside bunker. Bruce hit a 6 iron 8-10feet from the hole. Needless to say it wasn't looking too good, especially when my bunker shot came up 20 feet short. It is funny how things happen, but my putt hit the back of the hole and jumped straight in the air and fell in the hole. Of course, as time goes by, the distance the ball jumped gets much higher. Nevertheless, Bruce missed his putt and I closed him out on the next par 3. Wow!! That is golf. I went on to defeat Mark Lye, a 16 year old at the time who was also a good player. He went on to have some moderate success as a professional and is now currently a golf analyst for the Golf Channel. It is amazing how time has flown by. It seems unreal that 40 years have passed. They have been good years for the most part and many blessings have come my way.

The week has passed pleasantly enough. The weather is just superb here. We need rain, but boy it is just hard to beat the climate in this area.

My work at the Temple went well last night. Actually, that is the wrong way to put it. I felt blessed to be in the Lord's House performing saving ordinances for those who are not able to do the work themselves. I will be working in the Temple this coming Saturday as we who work the Wednesday evening shift are asked to volunteer to help with four Mid-Saturday sessions per year. I am also rehearsing with Evelyn Naylor, a fellow Valpie, to perform on the 17th in the Multi Stake Center on the Temple Grounds as part of the annual Christmas Celebration through the performing arts. I will sing The Christmas Song and perform with a small choir made up of her family and friends. It should be fun.

I talked to Brooklyn yesterday and her new friend Madison. She is doing well!! All the kids are. It is so wonderful to be involved in their lives, even if from a distance now. They are all truly blessings from Heaven.

1 comment:

robin said...

wow dad. all that golf talk. it just reminds me that, pretty much, we owe our lives to golf . . .

i was sad to miss the creche display. it was a yearly tradition for me.

and stop talking about how great the weather is there. that really makes me sad.