I was called to a new position yesterday. President Lemmon issued the call as 1st Assistant in the High Priest's Group of the Salinas 1st Ward. I will be assisting Brother Michael King who has just been called as the Group Leader. He is relatively new in the Ward but a good young man. He has served in various capacities in the Elder's Quorum and most recently as the Bishop's executive secretary. I am honored that the Lord inspired him to consider me for this calling. It is reassuring to know that the Lord does truly know me personally and that his Hand was and is in this change and move forward. As I reflect upon my time on the High Council, it was the longest calling of my church life!!-almost 6 years this October. I have learned much of how the Priesthood Keys function in keeping the church moving forward on its predestined course. I have seen and felt the keys in operation under the tutilege of great spiritual men-President's Jacobs, Locke, and Lemmon. I have used those keys to administer the necessary Priesthood functions and ordinances all of which are designed to bless the lives of others. I have been proxy for the Lord's Hands!!! Could there be a greater blessing?
I am prepared for this new calling and I see the Hand of the Lord in that preparation. I am almost ready to assist Brother Romero at Soledad Prison. I have been inspired to get involved there and though it is not totally clear as to why, I am just moving forward in faith that the full vision will be given in time.
Also, with the mantle of the Spirit of Elijah resting upon me once again, I already know that I will be helping my High Priest Group Brethren get 'up to speed' with New Family Search. I see myself going to their homes or have them come to my home and working with them on the computer and helping them catch the same spirit. The Lord truly has given us the tools to advance the work for our kindred dead in a marvelous and wonderful way.
I leave behind good friends that I have come to love in the Brotherhood of Priesthood service- Former Bishop's and Stake Presidents and Elders Quorum Presidents and Branch Presidents, all with particular gifts and talents but united in voice and service to our Heavenly King. I am truly blessed to have been a part one of the higher council's in church governance. There were areas of weakness that I could have strengthened-mainly in in leadership training. I have always tended to be a loner and one that just tees off on the 1st hole and keeps going until the final putt drops, but perhaps I was able to teach and inspire in some small manner after all. I reflect upon Jamie's comment while touring his mission in Scotland that he was tired of hearing the phrase about planting seeds when teaching and not having much success, i.e., Baptisms. It was apparent from the tour though that he taught many people and became their friend. It wasn't too much longer that reports started coming in of several if not many of those 'friends' being baptized. So the point is I would like to think that I 'helped someone in need' or 'did a kindly deed' here a little and there a little. Now we move on. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve wherever and whenever the Lord calls. "Here am I Lord, it is I."
No comments:
Post a Comment