Hello everyone,
I have considered and pondered deeply the above questions and invitation posed by Elder Eyring in our last Conference and how best to do this. The thought keeps coming to me that in this wonderful age of instant communication, why don't I/we start a family e-journal, for I cannot imagine a day that we do not need 'to remember how much our God loves us and how much we need him'. I do not even know the format but I do know that I must start now. I will simply pass on my 'remembrances' through the e-mail process for now and would invite everyone to do the same if the spirit so prompts. We will figure out the format later.
Sunday November 18th, 2007
As I taught the High Priest Group Lesson today about the Prophet Joseph Smith, a sweet swelling in my heart overcame me as I bore testimony of this great boy prophet who alone ushered in the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. I recalled with clarity the day the spirit confirmed in my heart and mind and soul that this was so. Therein lies the beauty of this whole exercise-to remember those feelings and strokes of pure knowledge and revelation flowing freely to us from the Holy Ghost which allows us to sense (touch, see, feel, taste) the hand of the Lord blessing us. I felt his hand today as I bore testimony.
I further saw his hand as I watched Robin and Josh ever so gently guide their little ones today according to the spirit of patience and love and devotion.
I see the blessing of the Lord in Craig who is visiting from the North Country this week. He has likewise chosen the straight and narrow path and I marvel at his testimony which was strong enough to compel him to serve a mission. He continues as a grown man now to improve his talents and grow in stature with the Lord. I know he has felt the touch of the Master's Hand, as have I and all of you. I pray for greater remembrance from this day forward as I Count my many blessings in effort to 'See what God has done'.
Dad
Monday November 19th, 2007
Today I have seen the Hand of God blessing young Justin Hawk. He is here at the house and we are gathering his family history information. He has a desire (The Spirit of Elijah) to do the work and so we are pursuing the effort. Both sides of his family have members who have done some work which is computerized!!! The Lord's hand is definitely in this work. The way is being prepared that Justin can take some of his ancestors names to the temple and do Baptisms for them.
We had a very fun, short and spiritual FHE tonight. Craig presented the lesson and showed us how the Savior is the foundation(chief cornerstone) of the church. FHE is the Hand of the Lord!!!. Papa and Nana and Josh and Robin and Parker and Macy and Craig and Jan andI enjoyed the spirit of the evening.
Tuesday November 20th, 2007
I was the hands of the Lord today as I gave Gail Higginbotham a blessing of health and strength to deal with personal and business issues. Thanks Craig for anointing and being the other 'hands'. To have three sons who are righteous Priesthood holders is truly a blessing. I see the Lord moving through them and guiding their family and personal decisions.
Wednesday November 21st, 2007
As I was watching the amazing 'Planet Earth' DVD I saw the Hand of God in all of creation. There is just too much order and sheer beauty in all of it not to acknowledge a supreme creator. The blessings that flow are all too obvious-air to breath-water to drink-beauty to behold-variety to enjoy. It should and does engender a profound feeling of gratitude.
Thursday November 22nd, 2007 (Thanksgiving Day)
I see the blessings of the Lord in our family togetherness and unity of faith. This day is especially a time to give thanks for the bounties around me-my wife, my children and their wives, my grandkids and Papa and Nana and our in-laws. We were blessed with a beautiful sunshiny day and lots of grandkid activity which always is interesting and exciting.
Friday November 23rd, 2007
I felt the joy of family today as we just enjoyed each others company. There is a sweet spirit of peace that permeates the air when all are joined together for 'family time'.
Saturday November 24th , 2007
I felt the blessings of the Lord keenly today in his house. As I was participitating in the proxy initiatory ordinance, a strong feeling came over me that the blessings pronounced were for me and my posterity. It is good to go and reacquaint yourself with those promised blessings as often as possible. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to serve in the Temple. It is easier to see and feel the hand of the Lord there as the veil is thinner.
Sunday November 25th, 2007
The Lord blesses us with his spirit as we partake of 'his' Sacrament.
I am fortunate to sing in a choir that sings his praises. I felt and heard the 'harmonies of heaven' today as we sang about the Savior in Church and
Choir practice this evening.
I came across a wonderful quote (truth) from Tad Callisters book, The Inevitable Apostasy which to me lovingly answers all those who claim that organized religion is not needed or necessary. Brother Callister states, "Why was(is) it necessary for the Church to be an organized body? Because organized goodness consistently outperforms random goodness. Christ's Church is not just a code of beliefs; it is a body of believers that is divinely organized in such a synergistic manner as to keep the doctrines pure, the ordinances correct, and the membership growing. It is the divine institution that becomes the kingdom of God on earth".
Tuesday November 27th, 2007
I viewed the lifeless body of Doris Castagnetto today who passed away last week at the age of 83. Mrs Castagnetto, as I knew her, was the wife of my Little League coach Jerry Castagnetto. Their son Paul was also on the team. The viewing could be the end of the story but it is not. The spirit once again whispered to me as it has in past circumstances similar (Bob Hawk and Neece) that they are not there but are risen!!. The scene becomes therefore peaceful as the vision that the Saviors Resurrection washes over me and makes me smile at death. How could I feel the hand of the Lord any more? It is a wonderful thing to contemplate the greatest gift given and then to receive the assurance of the reality of it all.
Wednesday November 28th, 2007
I attended the funeral for Doris Castagnetto and as the Catholic Priest was offering words of comfort regarding the 'many mansions' in the Fathers' House, I reflected upon the truth of that principle and the testimony I have of the 3 degrees of glory, a latter day revelation through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I was in the Father's House later that day and worked my usual evening shift. I was able to be a proxy sealer and as I was at the alter, the fire alarm went off. We just proceeded on and completed the ordinance. It was a false alarm, so... To be in the Temple is a great and ongoing blessing. The surrounding grounds have been illuminated with thousands of lights for the Christmas Season, serving once again, as a reminder of the 'LIght of the World'.
Thursday November 29th, 2007
I was struck with the wonder and beauty of the place I live in as Papa and I drove to Santa Cruz on a perfect autumn day. The Monterey Bay and surrounds were in perfect view. The Hand of the Lord is over all his creations!
Friday November 30th, 2007
We arrived in Utah and journeyed to Roy for the viewing of former Bishop Allan Loo who passed away earlier in the week. Again, the truth of the resurrection was affirmed by the spirit. Good memories flooded across my mind and especially the recollection of the words and spirit Bishop Loo carried to Neece the day before she passed on. To this day, tears come easily as I vividly recall the sacredness of that occasion.
Saturday December 1, 2007
We (Mom, Robin and I) attended the funeral services for Allan Loo. Beautiful testimonies were given by each of the 'Loo boys' and Kehaulani. We all felt blessed to be in attendance. I saw the hand of the Lord healing Todd Loo as did we all. It seems that in his last two weeks of life, Bishop gave his family the gift of healing.
Sunday December 2nd, 2007
I bore testimony in Sacrament meeting today. Bishop Varney preceded me and after his testimony, the spirit moved me to so do. I feel fortunate to have the blessing of the spirit in my life and it is a wonderful thing to receive inspiration and to know from whence it came.
I sang with the Valparaiso Singers at the annual Palo Alto Creche Display this evening. The spirit of Christmas came upon me, as it always does at this wonderful event. We performed my favorite piece 'Room in the Inn' which is always a hard one for me to sing. The words remind me of the need to always have room in my heart for him--The Savior. I feel blessed to be able to share the talents given me so that others can hopefully feel the spirit as I do.
Monday December 3rd, 2007
I was once again struck by the patience of Robin and Josh in their dealings with Parker and Macy. it is not difficult to see the Lord's hand working through them.
Wednesday December 5th, 2007
I am now 56. It does not seem possible but yet it is. I have now been active in the church well over half my life. I cannot imagine life without the light of the Gospel
Certainly the blessing of this day is my family. Thanks to all who called or gave presents. It is a wonderful thing to be loved and to feel so.
Thursday December 6th, 2007
I felt the blessing of a good Bishop tonight. Jan and I attended tithing settlement and we could answer affirmatively that we are full tithe payers. Bishop Varney asked what blessings we have received as a result of paying tithing and it was an interesting question because on the way to the Church my mind reflected upon that same question. An ongoing blessing is that Jan has never had to work. I know the Lord has blessed me immensely as a result of faithful tithe paying, not with more money but with a peaceful feeling that all is and will be well. It is one of the intangibles of the spirit but yet very very real.
Friday December 7th, 2007
I had the opportunity to share with Parker the importance of this day 66 years ago, Pearl Harbor Day. It is impossible to think on this day and all that subsequently happened without reflecting on our liberties enjoyed as a result of so many who served and sacrificed their lives for those liberties. Greater love hath no man than give his life for his friends.
Saturday December 8th, 2007
The Lord blessed my life today with family and friends and music. Bob and Jeanette (and Chica the dachsund) came for a visit. In the evening, Jan and I went on a date to Fresno with the Hills (Jim and Lynda) to enjoy the Christmas concert sounds of Manheim Steamroller. The Hills are wonderfully spiritual people and always lift others' when in their presence.
Sunday December 9th, 2007
I spoke in Sacrament today. The topic was Finding Joy in Christ. I prayed for the light of the spirit and was granted that blessing, a blessing I would wish for all my family members.
I was reminded once again of the unconditional love my Father in Heaven has for me and all his earthly children. I participated in a Stake Disciplinary Counsel tonight. The details were sad to hear but the hand of the Lord was clearly evident as the evidence was weighed and discussion centered on what was best for the individual and his family. We all must stay as far away as possible from pornography, in all it's forms.
Monday December 10th, 2007
I helped Justin Hawk with his family history today. His dad Bryan has just been laid off from work and is going through some hard times. I continue to try to reach out to him but he is hesitant to come fully unto Christ. I know the Lord is blessing Justin with feelings of the spirit as he deals with a mother and father who continue to make unfortunate choices. Thanks to Jan for preparing dinner for all of us tonight. I know Bryan and Justin were appreciative.
Tuesday December 11th, 2007
I thought about the business I have been blessed to run for the past 20 years. It has allowed me to be a pretty much stay at home dad and husband. It has provided, and still continues to provide, a wonderful living allowance for my family. I do not know what the future will bring, but I am at peace and know that we willbe in good hands.
Wednesday December 12th, 2007
I spent the afternoon and evening working in the Temple. I did an endowment and then spent the rest of the shift behind the clothing counter and at the front desk. The new bar code-check in for recommend holders is nice. It is not hard to feel and see the hand of the Lord here. To be able to covenant directly with him is a privilege. I always feel refreshed and renewed after working in the temple.
Saturday December 15th, 2007
I played golf today and was in the middle of a most interesting conversation with two of my playing companions. One was telling the other about the need to adjust eating and personal habits as we get older so as to remain healthy. the jist of the comments was that as the symptoms occur, then we have to adjust. The spirit whispered very clearly to me of the blessing that the Word of Wisdom given over 150 years ago is the Lord's preventative medicine!!! How grateful am I for this health code to which I have ascribed to for over 30 years now. And moreover for the faith of all my family members in living these remarkable and simple guidelines. It is not hard to see the hand of the Lord in our lives as we keep this commandment.
Sunday December 16th, 2007
I taught the High Priest Group lesson today-Shepherds of the Flock. It is the final lesson from the Teachings of President Spencer W. Kimball about the importance of sustaining and following the living Prophets. It is not hard to count the many blessings from so doing. Health, wealth, strength, peace of mind and conscience, having a better sense of the Sacred, purpose in life, a clear picture of my eternal destiny, revelations received and acted upon, strengthened testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ, a sure knowledge of things as they are, as they were, and as they are to be. I do sustain all of my leaders, President Hinckley, President Jacobs, Bishop Varney, and Jack Davidson and I am striving to do what they ask of me.
Monday December 17th, 2007
Sister Dona Brackett was laid to rest today. She passed in her own home last week. She was one of the founding members of the Salinas 1st Ward in the early fifties. I was privileged to be her home teacher for awhile and also a friend. She was full of life and vinegar and pepper!!!! About a year ago she asked me to sing 'The Hawaiian Wedding Song' at her funeral service. I fretted over this request right up until today, but the spirit said it was right, so... I sang and it was fine. It is not hard to feel the hand of the Lord when Patriarch Ririe speaks as he did today. He taught oh so well the plan of salvation and what the rewards are for those who accept the Gospel. They were good friends for many years. I will miss Dona Brackett.
Thursday December 20th, 2007
I attended two funerals today. The first was for Dr. Gordon Kingsley, who was my family doctor as I was growing up. I was good friends with Steve Kingsley, the oldest son as we played on the Salinas High Golf team for two years.
Dr. KIngsley was an agnostic, so the service was not particularly spiritual but nevertheless sweet.
Contrast the service for a long time golfing friend Larry Anderson who was only 4 years older than I. He died from Colon Cancer as did his father. Larry lived a hard life but the testimonials given were heartfelt about how good a friend he was. The Protestant Minister Dr. Laudra conducted the services and he frankly offended almost every one there who was not a 'Christian'. I was ill at ease even as a 'Christian'. I mention this because it is not hard to feel the lack of the hand of the Lord either. If the truth is not spoken, then the stupor of thought occurs. We need these 'opposition' moments to appreciate the good.
Friday December 21st, 2007.
It was good to see Craig again. He has a very peaceful spirit and it is no wonder that he has many friends. I feel blessed to be his father.
Saturday December 22nd, 2007
Scott and Kiana arrived safely. I see the Hand of the Lord in their relationship as they are just good to, and for, each other. It is good to all be together as a family.
Monday December 24th, 2007
Craig and I are putting the finishing touches on the movie for Papa Jim. I have been scanning all the still photos from his life over the past month into my computer so that we could put them into a movie format with music. I predict he will last about 5 seconds before the kleenex is needed.
The Ladles, Ma and Pa, prepared a Christmas box with clothing to reenact the Birth of the Savior, so I was the narrator, Papa Jim was a shepherd, Nana an angel, Scotty and Kiana the Wise Men (Persons), Josh-Joseph, Parker-Mary, and Craig was the donkey. It was a nice way to bring the spirit of the sacred birth into the home and I am sure this will be a tradition for years to come.
Tuesday December 25th, 2007
We enjoyed each others company the entire day. The opening of presents was very nice. The dinner prepared by Grammy and Robin was scrumptious. We viewed Papa Jim's movie in the family room and I was right. He only made it to the introductory frame before the kleenex was needed. For most present, the viewing of these life pictures was for the first time. I noticed a lump in the throat of my sweets as she also relived her life through the presentation. Papa was 'blown away'. Hopefully, he will be motivated to do his own life history now.
I surely counted my blessings this day, the blessing of family.
Thursday December 27th, 2007
I gave Josh a blessing prior to his taking the G-Mat test for the final time. The test score is one of the determinants to acceptance into college MBA programs. I could feel the Lord's hand in the blessing and the faith of Josh. He is such a good young man.
Friday December 28th, 2007
I am blessed to have a business that allows me to make a good income and to have the ability to work at home. The hand of the Lord has been very apparent in the formation and maintenance of my business, especially now that cell phones are eating away at profits. We seem to be holding our own which cannot be said for those in the same business who are located in areas where the climate is not conducive to year round payphone usage.
Jan and I and Scott and Kiana attended the 3pm Temple session today. It was a magnificently beautiful clear day and we could see clear across the San Francisco Bay to the Golden Gate Bridge. The Lord's hand is fully extended in the Temple and we are just privileged to learn more of him in his house. And how wonderful to attend with faithful family members. It does not get any better. I forgot to add that it was a special honor to 'receive' Scott through the veil.
Sunday December 30th, 2007
Watching two grown Sons-Scott and Craig- pass the Sacrament and then hearing Craig speak in church today was certainly a blessing. It seemed only yesterday they were young Deacons passing the sacrament and then Teachers preparing the Sacrament and then Priests blessing the Sacrament. All of my children have allowed the spirit to move them and they are familiar with its promptings.
Monday December 31st, 2007
I gave Craig a blessing prior to his return to Rexburg. It has become apparent to me that serving and being where the spirit is allows me to more easily recognize the Lord's hand in my life and the blessings he has bestowed upon me and my family.
The New Year is upon us. I have only one goal-To be worthy of and listen to and hearken unto the promptings of the spirit as it directs my life.
Tuesday January 1st, 2008
As I reflect upon this day, it was just enjoyable to spend time with Scott and Kiana and Jan and Papa and Nana and Josh and Robin and Parker and Macy. Tomorrow our first Grandson will be born. It is a blessing to have peaceful thoughts.
Wednesday January 2nd, 2008
There could be no greater witness of the Lord's blessing hands this day than the birth of our first grandson as yet unnamed. He was born around 4pm and is 7lbs 4oz and is 18" long. He is perfect and beautiful and so full of new life. Robin is doing fine.
Thursday January 3rd, 2008
As I was contemplating my upcoming High Council Talk a week from Sunday, the spirit whispered to me how to present the topic which is "The Power To Change", adapted from President James E. Faust's last conference address never given due to his passing. He had prepared the text and so it was included in the November Ensign as part of the conference issue. I will use the questions from Alma 5 which Alma posed to his followers. These questions are perfect change questions. I will then answer each of the questions using the most recent Conference talks.
Papa and I were on the road today in the Valley on my collection route. Jan called and said our new grandson is named Oliver James. How about that!!! Papa Jim now has a grandson and great-grandson with his namessake.
Friday January 4th, 2008
We returned home today from the Valley in the wake of Winters first great storm. And it has rained-probably 3" already with more to come. The Lord's hand is in the weather as we have had a drought for the past few years.
More promptings and inspiration came for my upcoming talk. I hope to be a blessing to those to whom I will address.
Saturday January 5th, 2008
Spent the day collecting all of Salinas. We (Papa and I) stayed just ahead of the rain once again. Little Oliver James is just very cute. You cannot help but marvel at the miracle of it all. Our Father in Heaven has certainly entrusted us with such a power to procreat new physical life and be partners with him in the raising of his spirit children to earthly maturity.
Sunday January 6th, 2008
I had the privilege of conferring the Melkezedek Priesthood upon Brother Charles Ennis, 87 years young!!!, and then ordaining him to the office of Elder. I home teach this good man and his wife Jean (Trammel) Ennis of 4 years. I also had the privilege of teaching the Temple Prep classes in their home several months ago. They are now prepared to enter the Temple and be sealed. The Lord's hand has been in their lives in a definite way. He was directed to ask me about having the missionary discussions as I came over to introduce myself one Sacrament Meeting not too long past. It has been a pleasure to watch them both blossom under the guidance of the spirit. They are like little puppy dogs, full of questions and ever so anxious to do all that they can. I thank my Father in Heaven for giving me the opportunity to once again see his hand in the conversion process.
Monday January 7th, 2008
Spent the day (5am-7:30pm) collecting the North Valley route. No rain, just beautiful sunshiny skies. All was well upon return. I received more inspiration for my talk in the Prunedale Ward. The power to change comes through the Atonement and repentance. It is a gift!!!!.
Tuesday January 8th, 2008
I attended our biweekly High Council meeting tonight. It is very apparent that the Hand of the Lord guides President Jacobs and Presidents Locke and Lemmon. As he (The Lord) does so, so he blesses the Stake Members through them and as a matter of delegation we as High Councilors may also bless the lives of the Saints in the Monterey Stake. Of particular interest was a discussion involving Sacrament and meeting 'deviations'. President Locke attended the quarterly Regional Stake Coordinating Counsel under the direction of the Area Authority on Sunday and reported on the ensuing discussion among the Stake Presidents in attendance there. As various leaders asked, "What about this situation" the consensus was that they are all deviations. Examples: Primary teachers and librarians being excused first after Sacrament or before the close of Sacrament meeting to attend to their duties. Bishoprics leaving the stand first to be at the exits while members leave Sacrament meeting. The First Presidency and Council of the 12 are concerned about the encroachment of good ideas getting out of control and consuming too much teaching time during 2nd and 3rd hour blocks. Among those mentioned were 'Good News' reports in Relief Society and Spiritual Thoughts' in Priesthood Opening exercises. Bishop Varney has instituted these Spiritual thoughts in our opening exercises and it is too time consuming. By the time announcements are given and the thought expressed, and then announcements given in quourum, teaching time is rarely in excess of 25 minutes, 15 minutes shy of the 40 minutes allotted. Another 'deviation' I got wind of was when Kiana and Scott were visiting two weeks ago and reported that the first five minutes of Fast and Testimony Meeting in their Ward (I think it is their Ward) are dedicated for children to bare their testimonies!!!!! Hmmn. And so it goes. It is so evident that without the Hand of the Lord guiding his Prophets and Leaders through the keys of the Priesthood that we would soon be well intentioned deviants all doing our own thing(s) much as the so-called Christian churches of today. It is a real eye opener to consider these things.
Wednesday January 9th, 2008
I was set apart as an ordinance worker in the Oakland Temple today under the hands of President Young, 1st Counselor in the Temple Presidency. I will now learn to officiate Endowment Sessions, perform Initiatories, issue new names and present at the veil. It is a great blessing to utilize the Priesthood in this manner, one that I am looking forward to. I am just extremely grateful to be worthy to perform these saving ordinances. It goes without saying that the Lord has guided me to this point in my life.
Thursday January 10th, 2008
It was a restful day. More inspiration came for my talk on Sunday. To be grateful is to be humble and to be humble is to be teachable and to be teachable is to be changeable. All of these elements are essential on the road to meaningful spiritual change-repentance.
Saturday January 12th, 2008
Today was Stake Temple Day. We had a pleasant drive to the Temple. Sister Kay Allen joined Jan and I and Papa and Nana on the journey to Oakland. It was a beautiful day and the time passed pleasantly enough. I was the hand of the Lord at the veil and helped six or more fellow stake brethren pass through to the Celestial Room. Jan looked exceptionally beautiful in white and we enjoyed the fellowship with our friends in the Holy of Holies.
Sunday January 13th, 2008
The Lord prepared me for my talk today in the Prunedale Ward. I spent the morning typing and finalizing and then delivered my message during the 1oclock meeting time. Sharan Joyce was the other speaker and she covered the same topic but in a different way. I could see the hand of the Lord and how inspiriation is so individually suited to our needs. It is no accident. How grateful I am that he knows me individually and was willing to sacrifice himself for me. I testified of the atonement and of the enabling power which moves us forward through the changes we need to make in our lives. This coming week will be devoted to Family History and getting up to speed on the New Family Search.
Monday January 14th, 2008
We just completed a very short, spiritual Family Home Evening. The topic was the power of prayer. Nana played I am A Child of God, we sang, Parker gave the opening prayer, we listened, Papa Jim read Matthew 21:22 and I gave the lesson. I had a hair dryer, record player and DVD player on hand. I asked Parker to try and use all 3 items. They would not work. I asked her why. She said there was no power. I related to her that prayer, like electricity, is the power through which Heavenly Father gives our lives motion and meaning. Nana gave the closing prayer and we had treats supplied by Grammy. Many memories returned of our earlier Family Home Evenings and I could not help but be assured that this program of the church is inspired. The spirit was in attendance. Thanks be to Heavenly Father for that feeling.
Tuesday January 15th, 2008
Nana had a bad fall today in the driveway. She was attempting to put mail in the outbox and just fell backwards into one of the parked cars, hitting her head and landing on her 'bum'. Josh and I got her up and onto the couch and then we drove her to the emergency room. Papa and Jan spent most of the rest of the day with her while they checked her over. (They did ask her twice what level of pain she was at and she did not have a broken femur bone nor was she pregnant!!!!) She received Darvicet and a clean bill of health-no broken bones, no head trauma or injury. The Lord's hand was definitely involved in this one, and as Nana described how she fell, it is very clear that 'hands' were helping her down softly. To not break a hip or leg or even her neck is a miracle for which I, we are most thankful. She will feel like a truck ran over her for several days, but she is home now and grateful to be so.
Wednesday January 16th, 2008
The Lord blessed me today to be able to confront Papa about his ongoing challenge with the internet and scams. I received a timely phone call from my bank advising me of a situation that I was not aware of which allowed me to reverse an otherwise potentially harmful situation. All is well. I was calm and able to do what had to be done and say what had to be said.
Thursday January 17th, 2008
Parker and Macy are growing so rapidly, as is little Oliver James, not to mention Brooklyn, Abby and Lori. Each are unique and as I think upon them I smile and truly feel joy which is a gift of the spirit. What is most wonderful is to know that the hand of the Lord is blessing the lives of my children to walk in the light of the Gospel. To have all be be worthy to enter the Temple is truly a blessing
Sunday, January 20th, 2008
I spent the day in worship and service. I taught the second Priesthood lesson to the High Priests, "The Nature of God". What a wonderful doctrine was restored by Joseph Smith through the First Vision and subsequent revelations. The spirit attending these doctrines is palpable and powerful. Certainly it is wonderful to feel the Lord's hand as I teach and listen to my other fellow Priesthood Brethren.
Jan and I received our two year spiritual checkup today as Brother Ogborn interviewed us to renew our recommends. What a privilege to be able to answer the questions honestly and forthright. It is as if The Lord is putting forth his hand to invite us into his house, provided our 'shoes' and 'hands' are clean.
Monday January 21st, 2008
I had the blessing of treating the 1st and 2nd Ward Elders to breakfast at IHOP, a round of golf ( 9 Holes) at Fairways, and lunch at Super Taqueria. Our Elders, Teata from Fiji and Capson from Oregon, and 2nd Ward's Ellohu from Tonga and Fackler from Arizona, had a great time and it was just a pleasure to be around them. Elder Fackler paid Craig a very high compliment by saying that Craig had a lot to do with him serving a mission. Elder Fackler served a minimission just prior to his call which required him to spend time with the full time missionaries in his home ward in Arizona, the same Ward that Elder Shipley was assigned. The hand of the Lord reached through Craig to touch the life of a future missionary who is now serving so well. I will escort the 2nd Ward Elders tomorrow to revisit Tom Delay, my friend who is still considering baptism.
Tuesday January 22nd, 2008
We had a very cold High Council Meeting last night at the Stake Center. The heater motor for our side of the building was out, so... 3 hours later we got to leave. My feet and legs were pretty cold, but it helped me appreciate what our pioneer fathers went through. We have so many blessings, material and otherwise, that give comfort to our lives.
Lori called and we got to talk with her briefly. She is growing all too fast and will be 3 very soon.
Wednesday January 23rd, 2008
Jan and I went to the Family History Center this morning and Dayna Jacobs helped us get acquainted with the new Family Search program. If ever the hand of the Lord was in evidence, this is it. We are now able to prepare our ancestor names for Temple Ordinances right in our own home on our own computers. The church has made available in one simple program all the information they have and are allowing us as members to clean up the records. Jan was able to merge her family information and in a very short time print her four generations with accompanying family group sheets. Of course the hands of many relatives have put this information together, but for a beginner like Jan to be able to make this happen is a wonderful thing. The spirit of Elijah is moving across the world in ever increasing ways. Now I need to learn how to use the new format and begin to submit more names.
Thursday January 24th, 2008
I had the distinct privilege of holding Oliver for 30 minutes this evening. We sat and talked, or at least I did. He breathed and stretched and coo'ed and did all kinds of fun stuff. He gripped my hand like a golf club, so.... Who could not be greatful to a Heavenly Father who has entrusted me with 4 wonderful children and now 6 glorious Grandchildren. I love each of them!!!! It is easy to see the Hand of the Lord in their lives and my life as I just take these little moments to enjoy those around me.
Sunday January 27th, 2008
We have lost our Prophet and President!!!! President Hinckley passed away this evening around 7pm. I was in Valparaiso Singers rehearsal at Judith Stewart's house in Menlo Park when one of the sopranos received a text message from her brother in Utah regarding President Hinckleys passing. I was sad, then reflective of the wonderful spirit of this man and how he had blessed my life and the lives of all my family. It was a privilege to strive to live as he lived and do as he did and try to follow his counsel. I reflected upon the joyous meeting he surely had with his beloved wife Marjorie and his father and mother and other family members. He had been our Prophet for 12, almost 13 years. He was 97 years old, the oldest serving Prophet to pass away. There are so many, many, blessings he brought to the people of the church by being the Lord's chosen mouthpiece- moreTemples, Humanitarian Aid, Perpetual Education Fund, Tolerance (Religious and otherwise), humor, greater public awareness of the church, music, numerous buildings and monuments, and above all, his testimony of God the Father, and his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. I will miss him, but the Hand of the Lord is now moving to rest the mantle upon the next in line to shoulder the Prophetic Office. It is a source of great comfort and blessing to know that the Priesthood will continue on uninterrupted. I thank the Lord for this knowledge
Tuesday January 29th, 2008
I taught the first of six Temple Prep Lessons this morning to Joey Vasher and Carlos Cisneros. Joey is preparing for his mission to Guadalajara, Mexico, and Brother Cisneros is preparing for marriage. Brother Cisneros is a fairly recent convert and is a wonderful man.
We enjoyed a good discussion of the Plan of Salvation and the spirit was evident. I gave thanks.
Wednesday January 30th, 2008
The Oakland Temple reopened yesterday after a two week cleaning closure, and it was once again a privilege to attend and work there today. It was different in that I am now a full ordinance worker and as such issued the new name and presented at the veil for the first time this evening. I was nervous but the words came and I did fine. Again, I thank the Lord for the trust given me and the blessing of being involved in this most sacred work. The feeling I have in the Temple is one of peace and in just knowing that I am serving the wonderful patrons who come to the House of The Lord, and it is His House!!!.
Friday February 1st, 2008
It is always a privilege to hear and be around Brother (Patriarch) Ririe. The Elders Quorum had a social tonight and Josh invited Papa and I to attend to see a segment of the great World War 2 film, The Great Escape, made in 1963. Brother Ririe was then asked to share some of his POW experiences in a German Concentration Camp and compare notes. As he did, I was caught up once again in the spirit of sacrifice offered by so many during that horrible period in our history. We are truly blessed, beyond measure, as a result of those sacrifices. The Lord's hand was in the founding of this great land and is still being extended because of so many brave men and women who did and do sacrifice their all.
Saturday February 2nd, 2008
My little darling granddaughter Parker Elizabeth shared some wonderful insights with me today. She is three and ever so sharp. She is forthright and honest to a fault. She blesses my life with pure joy. The scriptures are true. To be as a child is to approach the Savior. Through her eyes I can glimpse backward in time to raising my own precious little ones and look forward to the promised hope of tomorrow.
Perhaps this exercise of remembering the Lord's hand will take me back as I look to the past and recall the blessings showered upon me and my family. Elder Eyring started his remembrances when his family was young. I am not young any more, and my family is grown and off and running with lives of their own and it is ever so apparent the Lord's Hand is also guiding them. What greater joy could there be?
Sunday February 3rd, 208
It was a wonderful Sabbath. The weather was blustry as hail fell several times during the day. I recognized the Hand of the Lord today through direct manifestation of the Spirit as it whispered to me in Sunday School Class. Brother Saunders stood to welcome everyone and to announce who would give the opening and closing prayers. I was overwhelmed with the sweet conviction that the keys of the Priesthood are in operation and that those keys when exercised provide the order and constancy in all of Church governance. The station matters not, only that there is an order to all things. Brother Saunders was operating under those keys in a sweet and humble way and the Spirit bore powerful witness to me of this order and how all are blessed as a result. Without these keys, Apostasy-personal and church-wide-would soon overtake us
Jan and I watched most of the funeral services for President Hinckley. The spirit touched me with remembrances of this great man and Prophet and Leader gone to meet his Lord and be with his parents and wife once again. Goodbye President Hinckley. It will be a pleasure to see you in the eternities.
Another beautiful moment occurred as Jan and I knelt for our morning prayer. Little Macy and Parker joined us. They folded their arms and with very sweet reverence listened as the prayer was given. They are being guided by loving parents who are being guided by the Hand of the Lord.
Monday February 4th, 2008
We have a newly ordained Prophet. President Thomas S Monson was set apart by all the living Apostles yesterday in the Salt Lake Temple. President Henry B Eyring who was 2nd Counselor under President Hinckley is now First Counselor and Elder Dieter Uchtdorf is now Second Counselor in the First Presidency. A press conference was held today and it was inspiring to hear each speak of his new responsibilities. We are in good hands-the hands of the Lord. The chain of Priesthood authority continues unimpeded and the keys remain in steady operation.
We had a lovely Family Home Evening tonight. Jan left to visit Jamie and Anita and be there for Brooklyn's 7th birthday today. We called and sang to Brooklyn as a group. I could not help but reflect upon past home evenings held in this very house-one in particular which stands out occuring a distant 4th of July ago. We had the lesson on patriotism and then proceeded to march around the kitchen island banging pots and pans and just having a great time. These memories are sweet and I feel to say that I may not have seen the hand of the Lord then, but the accumulation of these 'family times' certainly set the pattern for our children to grow spiritually and to let them know that Jan and I tried to be faithful to this most important family activity.
Tuesday February 5th, 2008
I taught the 3rd Temple Prep lesson this morning. We had a good discussion regarding past Temples and the importance of being worthy to enter the Temple to receive the greater blessings of the Lord. The spirit of the Temple is upon my two students and they are excited to attend. It is good to start the day with early prayer and study. I need to get in the habit once again.
Wednesday February 6th, 2008
I spent the afternoon and evening working at the Temple. I had a very sweet experience while presenting at the veil. A young man probably mid to late twenties approached and I had the pleasure of helping him through the ceremony. What made the encounter sweet was the spirit this young man carrried with him. He was trying his best to remember and learn all the words but more than that was the tangible feeling of humility and faith he portrayed to me. The encounter reminded me of my own children and of their faithfulness in attending to the commandments of the Lord. I was simply greatful for the testimony of the spirit of the moment. The church is in good hands!!!
Also, my sweetheart returned from visiting Jamie and family. She was asleep when I came in but it was wonderful to have her home.
Thursday February 7th, 2008
The weather turned wonderful today. I played golf in absolute sunshine and warmth. We had our 4th Temple Prep lesson this morning. We defined what ordinances and covenants are and why they are important. We are having good discussions and my two friends are getting excited to attend the Temple. It is not hard to see the hand of the Lord in their lives pointing them to his house. I do feel the spirit while teaching and love to do so.
Friday February 8th, 2008
Another beautiful day blessed our lives. I again played golf and remained for an hour afterwards enjoying the sunshine and a conversation with Stan Jackman, a 94 year old who still enjoys getting out and putting and chipping. I began asking him questions about his life and he opened up and shared many interesting insights. It was an enjoyable interchange even though one-sided in his favor, which is how I wanted it to be. It made me realize for a moment that we all are truly children of our Heavenly Father each with individual paths back to his presence. There can be no question that my path was redirected by his hand 38 years ago to Brigham Young University. All blessings since have flowed from that early course correction. There can be no other explanation, for, in my mind I had no reason to go to BYU other than to play golf. Thankful now, yes, appreciative now, yes, greatful now, yes, but most importantly, forever touched by the Masters' Hand.
Saturday February 9th, 2008
Today was capped with a tremendous blessing from the Lord. The worldwide leadership training session was televised from 5- 7:30pm. Our new Prophet President Monson closed the session with his first public remarks as Prophet, Seer and Revelator. The theme was raising a righteous posterity with helps for all ages. I sat and felt the spirit whisper to me that Jan and I did pretty good but only because we tried to follow the pattern outlined by our Prophets-Family Home Evening, Prayer-individual and family, family Scripture Study, etc. The gist of the meeting involved a round-table discussion between Elders Holland and Oaks, and the General Auxiliary Presidents from the Primary, Young Women and Relief Society. It is a marvel to think that millions had the opportunity to hear the same counsel simultaneously!!! How perfect! There is still much to do, but the Lord is guiding us as we go. I know that to be true and I am grateful for that fact!!.
Sunday February 10th, 2008
The Sabbath day was wonderful and the spirit confirmed many things to me today. One is that the reason I am on the High Council is because I get to enjoy two Sacrament Meetings almost every week!!! Plus the Lord knows that I always need to remember him.
Monday February 11th, 2008
Jan and I read the first three chapters of the Book of Mormon tonight and will continue reading together from now on. We had gotten away from doing so after all the kiddos left, so... It felt good. It was also our family home evening time. It is time to reclaim the blessings from such activities.
Tuesday February 12th, 2008
I taught the 5th Temple Prep lesson this morning that discusses signs and symbols and how the Lord uses them.
Wednesday February 13th, 2008
I had a very interesting day. I started my workout comeback at the YMCA by playing racquetball for the first time in more than five years. Not a good idea!! I popped a right leg calf muscle and I now have no vertical lift. It is painful, but I did this same thing once or twice before. It will just take longer to heal as I am now 56 instead of 49. I reflected upon the athletic gifts that I have been given and more importantly this body which houses those gifts, the makeup of which comes from the genes of my ancestors. My father Glen was a good athlete as was Neece who was in addition a singer and music lover. I have tried to use these 'visible' gifts to bless the lives of others and thus be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to do good.
I felt the hand of the Lord at the Temple tonight as I fulfilled my shift assignments. I was asked to relieve the Endowment Session Officiator and motion the patrons to the veil. In and of itself it was fairly uncomplicated thing, but, the entire endowment room was filled with smiling Tongan faces!!!. It was their Stake Temple night prior to Stake Conference and there was not an empty seat to be found. As I looked out over the sea of brown faces, a sweet spirit descended upon me and confirmed to me that the work done therein is right and true and that I am privileged to be able to help in a small way. I was limping badly from my leg injury but...the work goes on.
Saturday February 16th, 2008
I enjoyed the Priesthood Leadership and Adult sessions of Stake Conference today. I felt the blessings of the spirit confirming what I was hearing. Des Wilson, the former Santa Cruz Stake President and now 1st Counselor to President Mckonkie in the San Jose Mission, told the heartwarming story of the Hoyt family and how the father for the past 30 years has 'carried' and transported his invalid son through countless Marathons and Iron Man competitions and other sporting events and nature challenges. He used the analogy of the Savior 'knowing his lambs and carrying them back to the fold, not herding them. "People will not be herded but can be carried to the fold", hence our challenge to find the sheep who can be carried back or to the Gospel---quite a remarkable distinction in attitudes, I must say and worthy of contemplation and action.
Sunday February 17th, 2008
Try to remember the times when I have had a broken heart and contrite spirit. This was President Jacobs admonition to all of us who Attended Stake Conference today. For me, it is easy-the birth of all our children-my marriage to Jan-the birth of all our grandchildren. The list could go on and on. More importantly, I believe this admonition ties into the purpose of all this writing-to remember the ways the hand of the Lord has been seen, felt, or sensed, in my life or the life of my family. President Jacobs comment was to help us see that having a broken heart and contrite spirit wasn't just for the times we have had need of repentence although they are a prerequisite for and a necessity for the repentance process to be actuated.
It was good to see long-time church friends and to shake hands with them.
Monday February 18th, 2008.
We had a wonderful home evening. Papa and Nana are gone for the week visiting friends in Southern Cal and Arizona which was not the reason we had a wonderful home evening!!.. The reason for was we invited Hector Cisneros and his now fiance Susan Frekis for dinner and FHE. Hector just received the Melchizidek Priesthood yesterday at Stake Conference and was ordained an Elder by Jack Davidson. Jan prepared a wonderful dinner of meatballs, baked potatoes, brown rice, bisquits and vegetables. The lesson topic, Sacrifice, was taken from Elder Porter's conference talk, A Broken Heart and Contrite Spirit. Sue played the piano as we sang 'Because I have Been Given Much'. A sweet spirit of discussion and learning ensued and we just enjoyed getting tho know this new couple. She is divorced with 4 children and works at the Timpanoga Temple in American Fork. They got engaged on Saturday so there are some logistics to figure out, but they are planning a late April or early May Wedding, probably civil at first and then later in the Temple. We are happy for them as they seem to be well suited.
Josh and Robin purchased a new car today, a GMC Acadia. They can now take all three kids at the same time. I was blessed to be able to help them as a co-signer.
Tuesday February 19th, 2008
An interesting thing happened today. We ate lunch at Appleby's-we being Jan and I and Josh and Robin and family. A black couple sat next to us and began arguing, obviously over marital relations. The argument became heated to the point that I had to go and ask the manager to talk to them which she did. I reflected on the blessing of my marriage and the unity and harmony which exists because of the understanding I(we) have of the eternal nature of things. What a blessing from my Heavenly Father!!! I later thought that a better response for this couple would have been to sit with them and share my testimony of eternal things, but....
Sunday February 24th, 2008
I attended the 2nd Ward Conference today and taught during the third hour. I felt the Hand of the Lord in a different yet familiar way. I had been getting lax in my Scripture Study and reading, but thanks to our reading together once again, a sweet, peaceful feeling overcame me as I delivered the message. It was a feeling of quiet confidence in knowing that I had been doing what is needed to keep the spirit close. The Conference held was marvelous. President Lemmon posed a very interesting question, If you were to ask your wife to marry you again, would she say yes? If I couple that thought with Elder Scott's query, "Are you mentally faithful to your spouse?" , we pretty much have the higher marriage law laid out in a simple yet unmistakebly clear way. I can truly say that I have been blessed to have a wonderful wife and sweetheart and friend for the past 32 years. Wow!!
I laid hands on Preceso Macabugou and set him apart as second counselor in the 2nd Ward Elders Quorum Presidency. My hands were the Lord's hands once again.
Tuesday February 26, 2008
I had a rather unique experience today, one that reaffirmed my testimony of the true principles of the Gospel. I attended a get together at the Episcopalian Church which was sponsored by this church as an outreach program. Their minister, Reverend Rajh-a very nice man I might add, contacted Bishop Varney and asked if the two congregations might share basic beliefs and just come together to get to know each other. We did this last night at their church. Next Tuesday evening they will join us in our Cultural Hall for some soup and bread and fellowship. There were about 14 of us in a and about 30 Episcopalians in attendance tonight. After some light refreshments, Reverend Rajh explained the why of the get together and then gave a brief history of his Church. To make a long story short, it was a lovely evening of enlightenment and I learned much. Basically, their church is the Church of England, founded by King Henry V111, who, when denied an anullment of his marriage by the Roman Catholic Church, split with the Mother Church and installed the Archbishop of Canturbury as the moral head of the new Church of England. The Episcopalian name emerged shortly after the American Revolution as a way to further break ties with Great Britain. So...If I had my choice of believing in a Church that was founded over a divorce, or one where God the Father and Jesus Christ both appeared and ushered in the restoration of the True Church of Jesus Christ, to which would I most likely align my faith. Hmmmmn. I wonder. The Episcopalians believe in a three pronged approach involving Scriptures,Tradiion and Reason as a way to prove doctrine. As I ponder the last two prongs, it is not to understand why we have the truth. Our doctrine comes through living oracles and flies in the face of tradition and reason, both of which originate with man and must ultimately fail. The 'tradition of the fathers' is so evident and accounts for the reasoning of so many Christians who have based their faith on 'the arm of flesh'.
Still, it was great to meet with these several gentle souls. We will share our beliefs next week and will have The Family Proclamation and the Articles of Faith and Books of Mormon for our guests. It should be a lively discussion.
Sunday March 2nd, 2008
Today would have been Neece's 91st birthday. It is not hard to feel the hand of the Lord as I think of her devotion to me throughout my life. Even though she has been gone for almost 8 years, her presence is still felt. Memories flood back of my youth and early teen years and early manhood. She was always there and I never doubted her love for me. As my children came, they never doubted her love for them. Each had the privilege of growing up under her watchful care, a family blessing not had by many in todays distant and disconnected society. Her influence will forever be noticed, felt and appreciated. It will truly be a great reunion in the hereafter. I know it will be and I know that I must stay on the straight and narrow path which leads to that glorious promised land.
I felt the hand of the Lord today as Josh taught the wonderful Sunday School lesson on the Atonement as outlined in 2nd Nephi 9, Jacob's discourse on the 1st and 2nd deaths and how the Savior overcame all that we might have eternal life and salvation and exhaltation.
Monday March 3rd, 2008
We just had an enjoyable Family Home Evening. We made paper links with all our names on them and then connected them with the links of love, Temple, Respect, Temple Marriage, Love each other, Prayer, etc. It was a nice visual for Parker and Macy to see how a chain is forged together. Parker bore her testimony and said the Church was true. Can there be anything sweeter? The hand of the Lord is moving these little ones to be good and to remember their divine potential.

Sunday March 9th, 2008
The past 5 days have been one of driving and collections. I could not help but pause every once in awhile and 'consider the lillies of the field'. The landscape is truly breathtaking this time of year as the wild grasses and flowers that cover the California hillsides are beginning to bloom and grow. Of course the green will give way to the golden brown, but for now Spring is upon us. The weather has been absolutely perfect. All of this is for me (us)!!!. How can one possibly think that there is no supreme creator of all this beauty and variety!. The Hand of God is apparent and looms larger than life, indeed, the universe!!!! I am even now sitting in my office upstairs listening to the chirping birds that return each Spring and nest under the awnings of the neighboring house. What sweeter music can they bring.
On Tuesday evening past, our Episcopalian friends joined us in our recreation hall for soup and bread and a short discussion of our beliefs. Our youth shone!!! Bishop Varney asked several young people to share their beliefs and testimonies. Chelsea Gordon spoke on the Atonement, Jessica Locke on Divine Worth and potential, Jonathan Varney on the Prophet Joseph Smith, and Kyle Vasher on the restoration of the Priesthood. Bishop Varney concluded by giving an overview of the basic doctrines of the church and then opened it up for questions. The spirit bore witness to all who were in attendance that truth was spoken and testified of. It was a privilege to hear these young future leaders and missionaries not just give an accounting, but bearing testimony of the doctrines and principles outlined. We do have some new good friends now and I am sure more is to follow.
I worked at the Temple on Wednesday helping in several areas. I was a sealing patron, a confirmer, and a veil worker on both sides. It is a wonderful thing to hear the sealers pronounce the sealing ordinances and to reflect on the sacred promises contained therein. The Lord's hand shines upon all, individuals and families and extended families here in this sacred place from which the word and law of the Lord go forth.
The Lord is blessing Papa Jim. He is returning to us from his long absense. The children are enjoying playing with him and he likewise with them. Nana had another bad heart defibrilation evening while we were away. Jan took her to the doctor and the bottom line is that she will probably receive a pacemaker. This is another wonderful manifestation of the sprit of the Lord, for he has blessed this generation with so many medical and health tools to help us live longer and better.
Jan is at a quilt retreat in Cambria. She truly loves quilting and it is a rewarding thing for her. I enjoy seeing her creations. Again, I have blessed beyond measure with a truly remarkable wife and friend who consistently just does what needs to be done with no fanfare or bright lights. At the end of the day it is she who has done the 'lion's share'.
Today is Ward Conference. I am excited to hear President Jacobs and Bishop Varney. I know the hand of the Lord will be revealed as new insights will come flooding into my mind as I listen. All is well, all is well.
Monday March 10th, 2008
Jan returned from her weekend quilting seminar. I missed her. She is such a part of my life and has blessed me immeasurably with so many refining moments. She has always been the intuitive one, close to the spirit in matters of the heart. I am still learning. I thank the Lord every day for her and feel his hand through her hands.
Wednesday March 12th, 2008
I worked in the Temple today and spent most of the time helping in the Baptistry. The spirit was in attendance there as combined youth groups from the Castro Valley 1st and 2nd Wards participated in the Baptism and Confirmation ordinances. There is a painting of the Savior being baptized by John hanging in the Baptistry which can be viewed by those waiting to be baptized and it is as if he (the Savior) were there supervising the ordinance. Then again, it is his house and so it would not take too much to imagine that he is watching over all that occurs therein.
Thursday March 13th, 2008
I played golf today in rather inclement weather although it did not rain. I had a moment of profound thanks for the area I live in which is so beautiful. The low gray clouds were broken somewhat down the valley and the sunlight was breaking through in various spots. I reflected upon all the times I had been on the golf course in my life and how the game of golf has brought so much to my life, mainly to the church and hence to Jan and and having a family. Wow. All that from hitting a crazy little ball into a tiny hole. The Lords hand truly touched me and guided me in my earlier life to be able to discover all the blessings awaiting me.
Saturday March 15th, 2008
Papa and Nana and Jan and I went for a wonderful drive through Hollister and down Hwy 25 to the Pinnacles National Monuments. It is one of the prettiest drives anywhere especially in springtime when the grass is green and the wildflowers are in bloom-even though it is not yet Spring! It is easy to see the Hand of God when upcloser to Nature. The order of it all is simply staggering. The beauty unparalled. I am reminded of Neece who instilled into me a great love of the outdoors by taking me to many of the beauty spots in California-Big Sur-Yosemite-Big Basin-The Big Trees- and other wondrous American nature spots-The Grand Canyon-The Petrified Forest-Carlsbad Caverns. More than just taking me she made things come alive with her understanding of how it all worked and her always enthusiastic way of explaining things. She was afterall, an exceptional teacher. Certainly, I was blessed through her loving guidance to be able to one day see the Hand of the Lord in his Creations.
Sunday March 16th, 2008
We had a good Sabbath. Josh spoke in Church on the Principle of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. The Spirit whispered to me several things I should do to better observe the Sabbath-one being more sensitive to the spiritual promptings to go do what is needed to bless the lives of others.
We had our final Valparaiso rehearsal for our Good Friday Concert coming later this week. The music is difficult but I will have it learned in time. Judith Stewart, our director has been diagnosed with Lymphoma that is affecting her lymph nodes around the Pancreas. We have been praying for her and will continue to do so. The diagnosis requires chemotherapy and radiation but there is a 70% cure rate, a rate we are all grateful for. She is being blessed because of her faith and it is clear to see. It is amazing how quickly things that we sometimes take for granted-our health for one-can change. I feel so fortunate to be in good health as are all my family members.
Monday March 17th, 2008
We had a joint FHE on the resurrection tonight. Parker taught the lesson using the hand in glove example of the body and spirit. Again, it was short but to the point. She was obviously pleased but more importantly was being guided by the spirit through her parents to bless our lives. Certainly the spirit was in attendance and witnessed to me of the sweetness of the moment.
Oh where oh where can little Grace Ella be? Oh where oh where can she be? We all know of course, but her due date is past. Oh Well, she will make her entrance soon and what a great day it will be, perhaps tomorrow. Another of the Lords blessings will shower down upon us all as a family.
Tuesday March 18th, 2008
Once again, Papa and I were on the road in the early morning to fix phones in the South Valley. We came out of the fog and into the sunlight which illuminated the glorious hills on the east and west with their luscious green carpeting. Then it was on to Seaside, appropriately named, and the beautiful view of the Monterey Bay still partially shrouded in fog. How blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the Garden, his garden. Truly there is beauty all around and joy in almost every sound.
Wednesday March 19th, 2008
Grace Ella is here!!!! Born this morning at 7lbs 7oz. I am looking at a cell phone picture right now that Jamie sent. Of course she is cute and perfect. There is no greater witness of the hand of the Lord than a new birth 'come from God and trailing clouds of glory'. Hurrah for Israel!!! Jan and I are now grandparents 7 times over, each individually precious. It is a good day. I will spend the afternoon and evening in the Temple which is another great blessing and privilege. Craig flies in today also and will visit for 10 days. It will be good to see him once again.
Thursday March 20th, 2008
"We must do all that is required in moving forward the work of theLord in building His kingdom in the earth. We can never compromise thedoctrine which has come through revelation, but we can live and work withothers, respecting their beliefs and admiring their virtues, joining handsin opposition to the sophistries, the quarrels, the hatred--thoseperils which have been with man from the beginning."(Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Dawning of a Brighter Day," Ensign, May 2004, 84)
As I thought about this wonderful statement from our now departed prophet, it occurred to me that this is what the millenium will be all about, for there will be nonmembers of the church in that era who will the righteous. We will usher in this thousand year reign by applying this principle in our lives. I will do so by not worrying about if everyone lives by the same doctrine.
We were blessed today to enjoy the sights and sounds at Casa De Fruta, a long time tourist stop on the Pacheco Pass Hwy. A model train tours the grounds and there is a double decker carousel and many other interesting antique farm pieces collected over the past 100 years. It was just a fun family time with Craig and Josh and Robin and all kids and Jan and Papa and Nana. There is an order in all things, and I and family are privileged to understand that order as it comes through the Spirit.
Jamie sent pictures of Grace. Wow. Is she cute or what!!!
Wednesday March 26th, 2008
I officiated in the washing portion of the initiatory ordinances tonight for the first time. I was acting as one 'having authority'. I paused for a moment as I said those words and the spirit of the whole work struck me. We are Saviors on Mt. Zion doing for others what they cannot do for themselves. It was an honor and a blessing to participate. I look forward to officiating in the other initiatories.
Thursday March 27th, 2008
I home taught the Ennis's tonight-dear 80+ year old people who are like little puppy dogs lapping up the gospel spirit and light. It is a joy to teach them. We discussed Priesthood Keys and Solemn Assemblies, both which will be in evidence next week during General Conference. I have been a member for 34 years and had never fully realized what a solemn assembly was. At our High Council meeting Tuesday night, President Lemmon handed out two talks from the April 1995 Conference, one covering the sustaining procedure for the General Authorities and newly appointed Prophet President Gordon B Hinckley (Solemn Assembly) and the talk immediately following the sustaining, Elder Boyd K Packers address titled The Shield of Faith. It was a powerful talk on the keys of the Restoration and the need for them and that the keys are a protection for the church in these latter days. Since being called as a High Councilman, I have learned much about these Priesthood keys and have seen them in action. I was grateful to study more on the topic. Utilizing this Priesthood power has been and continues to be a strong reminder that 'my hands are the Lord's Hands'.
Friday, March 28th, 2008
The Ladles are here for the weekend to particpate in the naming and blessing of Oliver James Ladle. It is always enjoyable to have them in our home as they bring a special spirit, a kindred spirit, with them. They are truly a couple who are disciples of the Savior and go about doing good. We feel blessed to have them here. I wish we were closer in proximity to Anita's and Kiana's parents as I feel the same toward them also.
Judith Stewart is undergoing her kemo-therapy for lymphoma. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and I know that she is being blessed through the faith of many. It is a privilege to pray in faith and know that my Father hears those prayers. He has sustained me in good health as well as my family and I know his hand is watching over us.
Saturday March 29th, 2008
We walked among the giants today. Doug and Carol Ladle flew in yesterday and we all went to The Big Trees-Henry Cowell State Park-to enjoy the stately Redwood Trees once again. The weather was overcast and the forest was damp-somewhat different from the usual bright sunshine of former visits. There is an almost spiritual feeling about being among these wonderful creations, perhaps because some predate the birth of the Savior. We were blessed to be there!!!
Sunday March 30th, 2008
Oliver James Ladle was blessed today.Three generations of 'hands' were represented in the circle-Jim Gayle (Papa Jim), David Shipley and Doug Ladle, Craig Shipley and Josh Ladle as the father and voice. Oliver is going to be a blessing to many. He will serve a mission, marry a good woman in the Temple and be a blessing to his family. We were the Lord's hands today. What an honor and privilege to bless our first Grandson. Thanks be to my Heavenly Father.
We love having Doug and Carol with us. They bring such a wonderful spirit. It is perhaps the last time we will see them here as Josh and Robin will soon be gone, but we are not thinking of that yet.
Monday March 31st, 2008
Jan and Craig left today to visit Jamie and Anita. They were blessed with safe travel. I took care of business matters. It is a blessing to have had such a wonderful source of income for so many years. It may not last much longer however, but I feel the Lord will provide and I am not fearful of the future. I suppose you can call it a feeling of peace, a peace that comes from trying to live the Gospel and keep the commandments.
I shared with Craig my love for him and how proud I was of him for his desires to stay on the straight and narrow. He is such a wonderful young man. We were blessed to have such a gentle, warm, easy to be entreated spirit come to us.
Papa Jim and Nana and I had Parker all to ourselves today for lunch at Maui Tacos. She was loving it, as were we. She commented on a variety of topics among them the idea of Supercalifragilistickexpialidotious-I have no idea if I spelled that correctly-but we had fun with it. She ate and would not be rushed by Nana to finish. She actually finished after Papa Jim!!!! It is easy to see the Hand of The Lord upon her sweet spirit and that hand is felt as she interacts with us. 'Suffer the Little Children to come unto me, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven'. Amen
Tuesday April 2nd, (oops, April Fools) April 1st, 2008
I played Golf at Rancho Canada and shot 76. Whoopdedoo. It was another beautiful day on the peninsula. Papa and I fixed phones and I did paperwork.
I got to know Jerry Armstrong today a little better. Jerry is a golfing friend and secretary for our Fairways Board of Directors. He was a Navy Seal during Vietnam-a sniper to be exact. Wow. He worked in the prison system until being attacked several times over a period of years. His back is held together with baling wire so to speak and he is not able to work any longer. I appreciated getting to know him. It is always a blessing to learn about other people and their histories and struggles. He is a 'recovering alcoholic' and has had a difficult go of things. His biological father committed suicide this past Christmas Eve!! I see the hand of the Lord in my life and families life as I consider the relative safety and ease we have had in our life's journey. Thus I believe the Scriptures that teach of this safety and refuge from the storms of life.
Tomorrow is Temple Day. It will be a great day.
Wednesday April 2nd, 2008
I was right. It was a wonderful time at the Temple tonight. I was initiated by fire!!!. I was ready to do the anointing part of the initiatories and did so for 45 minutes. Then because we were shorthanded, I was thrown back into a round-robin situation-Two officiators and one patron. I wound up taking the memorization card in with me and reading the last part of the ordinance, but I am now ready to do all of the required ordinances. It was an honor and privilege to be able to serve.
There is a wonderful quote from President Monson that sums up this whole idea of blessings. He spoke recently at the Presidents Club in Salt Lake City for all the alumni from BYU-Idaho who live outside of Idaho. "You don't search for blessings, you find them as you search for opportunities to help another person." That statement pretty much sums up his life and it is a principle worth remembering and applying.
Thursday April 3rd, 2008
I took some books to Justin Hawk tonight. These books were part of Sister Brackett's library. It felt good to give them to him. He is growing rapidly and is such a good young spirit. I spent time with Parker and Oliver today. Together we planted our snap peas in the garden. Parker enjoys picking them when ready with Grammy and snapping and eating the peas inside. We are all planted now and will await the arrival of our tomatoes, string beans, squash, peas, and pumpkins. I was blessed today with an upbeat attitude for which I am thankful. I believe it can be traced directly back to Neece for she was always upbeat and positive. I miss her.
Friday April 4th , 2008
I realized today that it is not always necessary to look for new blessings from the Lord, although there are all around me. I once again played golf and just enjoyed the tremendous weather surrounding me-blue skies-brisk breeze that changed direction almost on cue at 11:15 from the south to from the west-and the beautiful surrounding hills that frame this most marvelous Salinas Valley. It is staggering to think of all the produce that leaves from here and literally feeds the world. Once again, I feel to praise the order of things and feel it a privilege to know just a little of who makes it all work. I personally cannot wait to be able to understand where a treee came from originally and to be able to create (organize) other worlds, all of which is dependant on my faithfulness in this life. What a blessing to have the gift of faith and not 'sight' alone.
Saturday April 5th, 2008
Why wait. I felt the testimony of Prophets as I listened to the opening session of General Conference-a Solemn Assembly for the sustaining of all Church Officers. We stood in quorums and auxiliaries when asked to stand and sustain the Living Prophet Thomas Spencer Monson and his Counselors, and the Quorum of 12 with the newly sustained Apostle D. Todd Christopherson, the 70's Presidency and quorums and Area Presidencies and Representatives and all Auxiliary General Authorities. I know President Monson is the chosen Prophet to lead the only true and living Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Thanks be to God for this most precious Testimony, a testimony of faith.
Elder Nelson gave wonderful counsel, "Salvation is an individual responsibility, but Exhaltation is a Family Responsibility. Wow. Wow. It is not enough for me make sure that I am faithful, but I must insure that my Family is likewise continually given the opportunity to exercise their faith-call it family faith.
I have considered and pondered deeply the above questions and invitation posed by Elder Eyring in our last Conference and how best to do this. The thought keeps coming to me that in this wonderful age of instant communication, why don't I/we start a family e-journal, for I cannot imagine a day that we do not need 'to remember how much our God loves us and how much we need him'. I do not even know the format but I do know that I must start now. I will simply pass on my 'remembrances' through the e-mail process for now and would invite everyone to do the same if the spirit so prompts. We will figure out the format later.
Sunday November 18th, 2007
As I taught the High Priest Group Lesson today about the Prophet Joseph Smith, a sweet swelling in my heart overcame me as I bore testimony of this great boy prophet who alone ushered in the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. I recalled with clarity the day the spirit confirmed in my heart and mind and soul that this was so. Therein lies the beauty of this whole exercise-to remember those feelings and strokes of pure knowledge and revelation flowing freely to us from the Holy Ghost which allows us to sense (touch, see, feel, taste) the hand of the Lord blessing us. I felt his hand today as I bore testimony.
I further saw his hand as I watched Robin and Josh ever so gently guide their little ones today according to the spirit of patience and love and devotion.
I see the blessing of the Lord in Craig who is visiting from the North Country this week. He has likewise chosen the straight and narrow path and I marvel at his testimony which was strong enough to compel him to serve a mission. He continues as a grown man now to improve his talents and grow in stature with the Lord. I know he has felt the touch of the Master's Hand, as have I and all of you. I pray for greater remembrance from this day forward as I Count my many blessings in effort to 'See what God has done'.
Dad
Monday November 19th, 2007
Today I have seen the Hand of God blessing young Justin Hawk. He is here at the house and we are gathering his family history information. He has a desire (The Spirit of Elijah) to do the work and so we are pursuing the effort. Both sides of his family have members who have done some work which is computerized!!! The Lord's hand is definitely in this work. The way is being prepared that Justin can take some of his ancestors names to the temple and do Baptisms for them.
We had a very fun, short and spiritual FHE tonight. Craig presented the lesson and showed us how the Savior is the foundation(chief cornerstone) of the church. FHE is the Hand of the Lord!!!. Papa and Nana and Josh and Robin and Parker and Macy and Craig and Jan andI enjoyed the spirit of the evening.
Tuesday November 20th, 2007
I was the hands of the Lord today as I gave Gail Higginbotham a blessing of health and strength to deal with personal and business issues. Thanks Craig for anointing and being the other 'hands'. To have three sons who are righteous Priesthood holders is truly a blessing. I see the Lord moving through them and guiding their family and personal decisions.
Wednesday November 21st, 2007
As I was watching the amazing 'Planet Earth' DVD I saw the Hand of God in all of creation. There is just too much order and sheer beauty in all of it not to acknowledge a supreme creator. The blessings that flow are all too obvious-air to breath-water to drink-beauty to behold-variety to enjoy. It should and does engender a profound feeling of gratitude.
Thursday November 22nd, 2007 (Thanksgiving Day)
I see the blessings of the Lord in our family togetherness and unity of faith. This day is especially a time to give thanks for the bounties around me-my wife, my children and their wives, my grandkids and Papa and Nana and our in-laws. We were blessed with a beautiful sunshiny day and lots of grandkid activity which always is interesting and exciting.
Friday November 23rd, 2007
I felt the joy of family today as we just enjoyed each others company. There is a sweet spirit of peace that permeates the air when all are joined together for 'family time'.
Saturday November 24th , 2007
I felt the blessings of the Lord keenly today in his house. As I was participitating in the proxy initiatory ordinance, a strong feeling came over me that the blessings pronounced were for me and my posterity. It is good to go and reacquaint yourself with those promised blessings as often as possible. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to serve in the Temple. It is easier to see and feel the hand of the Lord there as the veil is thinner.
Sunday November 25th, 2007
The Lord blesses us with his spirit as we partake of 'his' Sacrament.
I am fortunate to sing in a choir that sings his praises. I felt and heard the 'harmonies of heaven' today as we sang about the Savior in Church and
Choir practice this evening.
I came across a wonderful quote (truth) from Tad Callisters book, The Inevitable Apostasy which to me lovingly answers all those who claim that organized religion is not needed or necessary. Brother Callister states, "Why was(is) it necessary for the Church to be an organized body? Because organized goodness consistently outperforms random goodness. Christ's Church is not just a code of beliefs; it is a body of believers that is divinely organized in such a synergistic manner as to keep the doctrines pure, the ordinances correct, and the membership growing. It is the divine institution that becomes the kingdom of God on earth".
Tuesday November 27th, 2007
I viewed the lifeless body of Doris Castagnetto today who passed away last week at the age of 83. Mrs Castagnetto, as I knew her, was the wife of my Little League coach Jerry Castagnetto. Their son Paul was also on the team. The viewing could be the end of the story but it is not. The spirit once again whispered to me as it has in past circumstances similar (Bob Hawk and Neece) that they are not there but are risen!!. The scene becomes therefore peaceful as the vision that the Saviors Resurrection washes over me and makes me smile at death. How could I feel the hand of the Lord any more? It is a wonderful thing to contemplate the greatest gift given and then to receive the assurance of the reality of it all.
Wednesday November 28th, 2007
I attended the funeral for Doris Castagnetto and as the Catholic Priest was offering words of comfort regarding the 'many mansions' in the Fathers' House, I reflected upon the truth of that principle and the testimony I have of the 3 degrees of glory, a latter day revelation through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I was in the Father's House later that day and worked my usual evening shift. I was able to be a proxy sealer and as I was at the alter, the fire alarm went off. We just proceeded on and completed the ordinance. It was a false alarm, so... To be in the Temple is a great and ongoing blessing. The surrounding grounds have been illuminated with thousands of lights for the Christmas Season, serving once again, as a reminder of the 'LIght of the World'.
Thursday November 29th, 2007
I was struck with the wonder and beauty of the place I live in as Papa and I drove to Santa Cruz on a perfect autumn day. The Monterey Bay and surrounds were in perfect view. The Hand of the Lord is over all his creations!
Friday November 30th, 2007
We arrived in Utah and journeyed to Roy for the viewing of former Bishop Allan Loo who passed away earlier in the week. Again, the truth of the resurrection was affirmed by the spirit. Good memories flooded across my mind and especially the recollection of the words and spirit Bishop Loo carried to Neece the day before she passed on. To this day, tears come easily as I vividly recall the sacredness of that occasion.
Saturday December 1, 2007
We (Mom, Robin and I) attended the funeral services for Allan Loo. Beautiful testimonies were given by each of the 'Loo boys' and Kehaulani. We all felt blessed to be in attendance. I saw the hand of the Lord healing Todd Loo as did we all. It seems that in his last two weeks of life, Bishop gave his family the gift of healing.
Sunday December 2nd, 2007
I bore testimony in Sacrament meeting today. Bishop Varney preceded me and after his testimony, the spirit moved me to so do. I feel fortunate to have the blessing of the spirit in my life and it is a wonderful thing to receive inspiration and to know from whence it came.
I sang with the Valparaiso Singers at the annual Palo Alto Creche Display this evening. The spirit of Christmas came upon me, as it always does at this wonderful event. We performed my favorite piece 'Room in the Inn' which is always a hard one for me to sing. The words remind me of the need to always have room in my heart for him--The Savior. I feel blessed to be able to share the talents given me so that others can hopefully feel the spirit as I do.
Monday December 3rd, 2007
I was once again struck by the patience of Robin and Josh in their dealings with Parker and Macy. it is not difficult to see the Lord's hand working through them.
Wednesday December 5th, 2007
I am now 56. It does not seem possible but yet it is. I have now been active in the church well over half my life. I cannot imagine life without the light of the Gospel
Certainly the blessing of this day is my family. Thanks to all who called or gave presents. It is a wonderful thing to be loved and to feel so.
Thursday December 6th, 2007
I felt the blessing of a good Bishop tonight. Jan and I attended tithing settlement and we could answer affirmatively that we are full tithe payers. Bishop Varney asked what blessings we have received as a result of paying tithing and it was an interesting question because on the way to the Church my mind reflected upon that same question. An ongoing blessing is that Jan has never had to work. I know the Lord has blessed me immensely as a result of faithful tithe paying, not with more money but with a peaceful feeling that all is and will be well. It is one of the intangibles of the spirit but yet very very real.
Friday December 7th, 2007
I had the opportunity to share with Parker the importance of this day 66 years ago, Pearl Harbor Day. It is impossible to think on this day and all that subsequently happened without reflecting on our liberties enjoyed as a result of so many who served and sacrificed their lives for those liberties. Greater love hath no man than give his life for his friends.
Saturday December 8th, 2007
The Lord blessed my life today with family and friends and music. Bob and Jeanette (and Chica the dachsund) came for a visit. In the evening, Jan and I went on a date to Fresno with the Hills (Jim and Lynda) to enjoy the Christmas concert sounds of Manheim Steamroller. The Hills are wonderfully spiritual people and always lift others' when in their presence.
Sunday December 9th, 2007
I spoke in Sacrament today. The topic was Finding Joy in Christ. I prayed for the light of the spirit and was granted that blessing, a blessing I would wish for all my family members.
I was reminded once again of the unconditional love my Father in Heaven has for me and all his earthly children. I participated in a Stake Disciplinary Counsel tonight. The details were sad to hear but the hand of the Lord was clearly evident as the evidence was weighed and discussion centered on what was best for the individual and his family. We all must stay as far away as possible from pornography, in all it's forms.
Monday December 10th, 2007
I helped Justin Hawk with his family history today. His dad Bryan has just been laid off from work and is going through some hard times. I continue to try to reach out to him but he is hesitant to come fully unto Christ. I know the Lord is blessing Justin with feelings of the spirit as he deals with a mother and father who continue to make unfortunate choices. Thanks to Jan for preparing dinner for all of us tonight. I know Bryan and Justin were appreciative.
Tuesday December 11th, 2007
I thought about the business I have been blessed to run for the past 20 years. It has allowed me to be a pretty much stay at home dad and husband. It has provided, and still continues to provide, a wonderful living allowance for my family. I do not know what the future will bring, but I am at peace and know that we willbe in good hands.
Wednesday December 12th, 2007
I spent the afternoon and evening working in the Temple. I did an endowment and then spent the rest of the shift behind the clothing counter and at the front desk. The new bar code-check in for recommend holders is nice. It is not hard to feel and see the hand of the Lord here. To be able to covenant directly with him is a privilege. I always feel refreshed and renewed after working in the temple.
Saturday December 15th, 2007
I played golf today and was in the middle of a most interesting conversation with two of my playing companions. One was telling the other about the need to adjust eating and personal habits as we get older so as to remain healthy. the jist of the comments was that as the symptoms occur, then we have to adjust. The spirit whispered very clearly to me of the blessing that the Word of Wisdom given over 150 years ago is the Lord's preventative medicine!!! How grateful am I for this health code to which I have ascribed to for over 30 years now. And moreover for the faith of all my family members in living these remarkable and simple guidelines. It is not hard to see the hand of the Lord in our lives as we keep this commandment.
Sunday December 16th, 2007
I taught the High Priest Group lesson today-Shepherds of the Flock. It is the final lesson from the Teachings of President Spencer W. Kimball about the importance of sustaining and following the living Prophets. It is not hard to count the many blessings from so doing. Health, wealth, strength, peace of mind and conscience, having a better sense of the Sacred, purpose in life, a clear picture of my eternal destiny, revelations received and acted upon, strengthened testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ, a sure knowledge of things as they are, as they were, and as they are to be. I do sustain all of my leaders, President Hinckley, President Jacobs, Bishop Varney, and Jack Davidson and I am striving to do what they ask of me.
Monday December 17th, 2007
Sister Dona Brackett was laid to rest today. She passed in her own home last week. She was one of the founding members of the Salinas 1st Ward in the early fifties. I was privileged to be her home teacher for awhile and also a friend. She was full of life and vinegar and pepper!!!! About a year ago she asked me to sing 'The Hawaiian Wedding Song' at her funeral service. I fretted over this request right up until today, but the spirit said it was right, so... I sang and it was fine. It is not hard to feel the hand of the Lord when Patriarch Ririe speaks as he did today. He taught oh so well the plan of salvation and what the rewards are for those who accept the Gospel. They were good friends for many years. I will miss Dona Brackett.
Thursday December 20th, 2007
I attended two funerals today. The first was for Dr. Gordon Kingsley, who was my family doctor as I was growing up. I was good friends with Steve Kingsley, the oldest son as we played on the Salinas High Golf team for two years.
Dr. KIngsley was an agnostic, so the service was not particularly spiritual but nevertheless sweet.
Contrast the service for a long time golfing friend Larry Anderson who was only 4 years older than I. He died from Colon Cancer as did his father. Larry lived a hard life but the testimonials given were heartfelt about how good a friend he was. The Protestant Minister Dr. Laudra conducted the services and he frankly offended almost every one there who was not a 'Christian'. I was ill at ease even as a 'Christian'. I mention this because it is not hard to feel the lack of the hand of the Lord either. If the truth is not spoken, then the stupor of thought occurs. We need these 'opposition' moments to appreciate the good.
Friday December 21st, 2007.
It was good to see Craig again. He has a very peaceful spirit and it is no wonder that he has many friends. I feel blessed to be his father.
Saturday December 22nd, 2007
Scott and Kiana arrived safely. I see the Hand of the Lord in their relationship as they are just good to, and for, each other. It is good to all be together as a family.
Monday December 24th, 2007
Craig and I are putting the finishing touches on the movie for Papa Jim. I have been scanning all the still photos from his life over the past month into my computer so that we could put them into a movie format with music. I predict he will last about 5 seconds before the kleenex is needed.
The Ladles, Ma and Pa, prepared a Christmas box with clothing to reenact the Birth of the Savior, so I was the narrator, Papa Jim was a shepherd, Nana an angel, Scotty and Kiana the Wise Men (Persons), Josh-Joseph, Parker-Mary, and Craig was the donkey. It was a nice way to bring the spirit of the sacred birth into the home and I am sure this will be a tradition for years to come.
Tuesday December 25th, 2007
We enjoyed each others company the entire day. The opening of presents was very nice. The dinner prepared by Grammy and Robin was scrumptious. We viewed Papa Jim's movie in the family room and I was right. He only made it to the introductory frame before the kleenex was needed. For most present, the viewing of these life pictures was for the first time. I noticed a lump in the throat of my sweets as she also relived her life through the presentation. Papa was 'blown away'. Hopefully, he will be motivated to do his own life history now.
I surely counted my blessings this day, the blessing of family.
Thursday December 27th, 2007
I gave Josh a blessing prior to his taking the G-Mat test for the final time. The test score is one of the determinants to acceptance into college MBA programs. I could feel the Lord's hand in the blessing and the faith of Josh. He is such a good young man.
Friday December 28th, 2007
I am blessed to have a business that allows me to make a good income and to have the ability to work at home. The hand of the Lord has been very apparent in the formation and maintenance of my business, especially now that cell phones are eating away at profits. We seem to be holding our own which cannot be said for those in the same business who are located in areas where the climate is not conducive to year round payphone usage.
Jan and I and Scott and Kiana attended the 3pm Temple session today. It was a magnificently beautiful clear day and we could see clear across the San Francisco Bay to the Golden Gate Bridge. The Lord's hand is fully extended in the Temple and we are just privileged to learn more of him in his house. And how wonderful to attend with faithful family members. It does not get any better. I forgot to add that it was a special honor to 'receive' Scott through the veil.
Sunday December 30th, 2007
Watching two grown Sons-Scott and Craig- pass the Sacrament and then hearing Craig speak in church today was certainly a blessing. It seemed only yesterday they were young Deacons passing the sacrament and then Teachers preparing the Sacrament and then Priests blessing the Sacrament. All of my children have allowed the spirit to move them and they are familiar with its promptings.
Monday December 31st, 2007
I gave Craig a blessing prior to his return to Rexburg. It has become apparent to me that serving and being where the spirit is allows me to more easily recognize the Lord's hand in my life and the blessings he has bestowed upon me and my family.
The New Year is upon us. I have only one goal-To be worthy of and listen to and hearken unto the promptings of the spirit as it directs my life.
Tuesday January 1st, 2008
As I reflect upon this day, it was just enjoyable to spend time with Scott and Kiana and Jan and Papa and Nana and Josh and Robin and Parker and Macy. Tomorrow our first Grandson will be born. It is a blessing to have peaceful thoughts.
Wednesday January 2nd, 2008
There could be no greater witness of the Lord's blessing hands this day than the birth of our first grandson as yet unnamed. He was born around 4pm and is 7lbs 4oz and is 18" long. He is perfect and beautiful and so full of new life. Robin is doing fine.
Thursday January 3rd, 2008
As I was contemplating my upcoming High Council Talk a week from Sunday, the spirit whispered to me how to present the topic which is "The Power To Change", adapted from President James E. Faust's last conference address never given due to his passing. He had prepared the text and so it was included in the November Ensign as part of the conference issue. I will use the questions from Alma 5 which Alma posed to his followers. These questions are perfect change questions. I will then answer each of the questions using the most recent Conference talks.
Papa and I were on the road today in the Valley on my collection route. Jan called and said our new grandson is named Oliver James. How about that!!! Papa Jim now has a grandson and great-grandson with his namessake.
Friday January 4th, 2008
We returned home today from the Valley in the wake of Winters first great storm. And it has rained-probably 3" already with more to come. The Lord's hand is in the weather as we have had a drought for the past few years.
More promptings and inspiration came for my upcoming talk. I hope to be a blessing to those to whom I will address.
Saturday January 5th, 2008
Spent the day collecting all of Salinas. We (Papa and I) stayed just ahead of the rain once again. Little Oliver James is just very cute. You cannot help but marvel at the miracle of it all. Our Father in Heaven has certainly entrusted us with such a power to procreat new physical life and be partners with him in the raising of his spirit children to earthly maturity.
Sunday January 6th, 2008
I had the privilege of conferring the Melkezedek Priesthood upon Brother Charles Ennis, 87 years young!!!, and then ordaining him to the office of Elder. I home teach this good man and his wife Jean (Trammel) Ennis of 4 years. I also had the privilege of teaching the Temple Prep classes in their home several months ago. They are now prepared to enter the Temple and be sealed. The Lord's hand has been in their lives in a definite way. He was directed to ask me about having the missionary discussions as I came over to introduce myself one Sacrament Meeting not too long past. It has been a pleasure to watch them both blossom under the guidance of the spirit. They are like little puppy dogs, full of questions and ever so anxious to do all that they can. I thank my Father in Heaven for giving me the opportunity to once again see his hand in the conversion process.
Monday January 7th, 2008
Spent the day (5am-7:30pm) collecting the North Valley route. No rain, just beautiful sunshiny skies. All was well upon return. I received more inspiration for my talk in the Prunedale Ward. The power to change comes through the Atonement and repentance. It is a gift!!!!.
Tuesday January 8th, 2008
I attended our biweekly High Council meeting tonight. It is very apparent that the Hand of the Lord guides President Jacobs and Presidents Locke and Lemmon. As he (The Lord) does so, so he blesses the Stake Members through them and as a matter of delegation we as High Councilors may also bless the lives of the Saints in the Monterey Stake. Of particular interest was a discussion involving Sacrament and meeting 'deviations'. President Locke attended the quarterly Regional Stake Coordinating Counsel under the direction of the Area Authority on Sunday and reported on the ensuing discussion among the Stake Presidents in attendance there. As various leaders asked, "What about this situation" the consensus was that they are all deviations. Examples: Primary teachers and librarians being excused first after Sacrament or before the close of Sacrament meeting to attend to their duties. Bishoprics leaving the stand first to be at the exits while members leave Sacrament meeting. The First Presidency and Council of the 12 are concerned about the encroachment of good ideas getting out of control and consuming too much teaching time during 2nd and 3rd hour blocks. Among those mentioned were 'Good News' reports in Relief Society and Spiritual Thoughts' in Priesthood Opening exercises. Bishop Varney has instituted these Spiritual thoughts in our opening exercises and it is too time consuming. By the time announcements are given and the thought expressed, and then announcements given in quourum, teaching time is rarely in excess of 25 minutes, 15 minutes shy of the 40 minutes allotted. Another 'deviation' I got wind of was when Kiana and Scott were visiting two weeks ago and reported that the first five minutes of Fast and Testimony Meeting in their Ward (I think it is their Ward) are dedicated for children to bare their testimonies!!!!! Hmmn. And so it goes. It is so evident that without the Hand of the Lord guiding his Prophets and Leaders through the keys of the Priesthood that we would soon be well intentioned deviants all doing our own thing(s) much as the so-called Christian churches of today. It is a real eye opener to consider these things.
Wednesday January 9th, 2008
I was set apart as an ordinance worker in the Oakland Temple today under the hands of President Young, 1st Counselor in the Temple Presidency. I will now learn to officiate Endowment Sessions, perform Initiatories, issue new names and present at the veil. It is a great blessing to utilize the Priesthood in this manner, one that I am looking forward to. I am just extremely grateful to be worthy to perform these saving ordinances. It goes without saying that the Lord has guided me to this point in my life.
Thursday January 10th, 2008
It was a restful day. More inspiration came for my talk on Sunday. To be grateful is to be humble and to be humble is to be teachable and to be teachable is to be changeable. All of these elements are essential on the road to meaningful spiritual change-repentance.
Saturday January 12th, 2008
Today was Stake Temple Day. We had a pleasant drive to the Temple. Sister Kay Allen joined Jan and I and Papa and Nana on the journey to Oakland. It was a beautiful day and the time passed pleasantly enough. I was the hand of the Lord at the veil and helped six or more fellow stake brethren pass through to the Celestial Room. Jan looked exceptionally beautiful in white and we enjoyed the fellowship with our friends in the Holy of Holies.
Sunday January 13th, 2008
The Lord prepared me for my talk today in the Prunedale Ward. I spent the morning typing and finalizing and then delivered my message during the 1oclock meeting time. Sharan Joyce was the other speaker and she covered the same topic but in a different way. I could see the hand of the Lord and how inspiriation is so individually suited to our needs. It is no accident. How grateful I am that he knows me individually and was willing to sacrifice himself for me. I testified of the atonement and of the enabling power which moves us forward through the changes we need to make in our lives. This coming week will be devoted to Family History and getting up to speed on the New Family Search.
Monday January 14th, 2008
We just completed a very short, spiritual Family Home Evening. The topic was the power of prayer. Nana played I am A Child of God, we sang, Parker gave the opening prayer, we listened, Papa Jim read Matthew 21:22 and I gave the lesson. I had a hair dryer, record player and DVD player on hand. I asked Parker to try and use all 3 items. They would not work. I asked her why. She said there was no power. I related to her that prayer, like electricity, is the power through which Heavenly Father gives our lives motion and meaning. Nana gave the closing prayer and we had treats supplied by Grammy. Many memories returned of our earlier Family Home Evenings and I could not help but be assured that this program of the church is inspired. The spirit was in attendance. Thanks be to Heavenly Father for that feeling.
Tuesday January 15th, 2008
Nana had a bad fall today in the driveway. She was attempting to put mail in the outbox and just fell backwards into one of the parked cars, hitting her head and landing on her 'bum'. Josh and I got her up and onto the couch and then we drove her to the emergency room. Papa and Jan spent most of the rest of the day with her while they checked her over. (They did ask her twice what level of pain she was at and she did not have a broken femur bone nor was she pregnant!!!!) She received Darvicet and a clean bill of health-no broken bones, no head trauma or injury. The Lord's hand was definitely involved in this one, and as Nana described how she fell, it is very clear that 'hands' were helping her down softly. To not break a hip or leg or even her neck is a miracle for which I, we are most thankful. She will feel like a truck ran over her for several days, but she is home now and grateful to be so.
Wednesday January 16th, 2008
The Lord blessed me today to be able to confront Papa about his ongoing challenge with the internet and scams. I received a timely phone call from my bank advising me of a situation that I was not aware of which allowed me to reverse an otherwise potentially harmful situation. All is well. I was calm and able to do what had to be done and say what had to be said.
Thursday January 17th, 2008
Parker and Macy are growing so rapidly, as is little Oliver James, not to mention Brooklyn, Abby and Lori. Each are unique and as I think upon them I smile and truly feel joy which is a gift of the spirit. What is most wonderful is to know that the hand of the Lord is blessing the lives of my children to walk in the light of the Gospel. To have all be be worthy to enter the Temple is truly a blessing
Sunday, January 20th, 2008
I spent the day in worship and service. I taught the second Priesthood lesson to the High Priests, "The Nature of God". What a wonderful doctrine was restored by Joseph Smith through the First Vision and subsequent revelations. The spirit attending these doctrines is palpable and powerful. Certainly it is wonderful to feel the Lord's hand as I teach and listen to my other fellow Priesthood Brethren.
Jan and I received our two year spiritual checkup today as Brother Ogborn interviewed us to renew our recommends. What a privilege to be able to answer the questions honestly and forthright. It is as if The Lord is putting forth his hand to invite us into his house, provided our 'shoes' and 'hands' are clean.
Monday January 21st, 2008
I had the blessing of treating the 1st and 2nd Ward Elders to breakfast at IHOP, a round of golf ( 9 Holes) at Fairways, and lunch at Super Taqueria. Our Elders, Teata from Fiji and Capson from Oregon, and 2nd Ward's Ellohu from Tonga and Fackler from Arizona, had a great time and it was just a pleasure to be around them. Elder Fackler paid Craig a very high compliment by saying that Craig had a lot to do with him serving a mission. Elder Fackler served a minimission just prior to his call which required him to spend time with the full time missionaries in his home ward in Arizona, the same Ward that Elder Shipley was assigned. The hand of the Lord reached through Craig to touch the life of a future missionary who is now serving so well. I will escort the 2nd Ward Elders tomorrow to revisit Tom Delay, my friend who is still considering baptism.
Tuesday January 22nd, 2008
We had a very cold High Council Meeting last night at the Stake Center. The heater motor for our side of the building was out, so... 3 hours later we got to leave. My feet and legs were pretty cold, but it helped me appreciate what our pioneer fathers went through. We have so many blessings, material and otherwise, that give comfort to our lives.
Lori called and we got to talk with her briefly. She is growing all too fast and will be 3 very soon.
Wednesday January 23rd, 2008
Jan and I went to the Family History Center this morning and Dayna Jacobs helped us get acquainted with the new Family Search program. If ever the hand of the Lord was in evidence, this is it. We are now able to prepare our ancestor names for Temple Ordinances right in our own home on our own computers. The church has made available in one simple program all the information they have and are allowing us as members to clean up the records. Jan was able to merge her family information and in a very short time print her four generations with accompanying family group sheets. Of course the hands of many relatives have put this information together, but for a beginner like Jan to be able to make this happen is a wonderful thing. The spirit of Elijah is moving across the world in ever increasing ways. Now I need to learn how to use the new format and begin to submit more names.
Thursday January 24th, 2008
I had the distinct privilege of holding Oliver for 30 minutes this evening. We sat and talked, or at least I did. He breathed and stretched and coo'ed and did all kinds of fun stuff. He gripped my hand like a golf club, so.... Who could not be greatful to a Heavenly Father who has entrusted me with 4 wonderful children and now 6 glorious Grandchildren. I love each of them!!!! It is easy to see the Hand of the Lord in their lives and my life as I just take these little moments to enjoy those around me.
Sunday January 27th, 2008
We have lost our Prophet and President!!!! President Hinckley passed away this evening around 7pm. I was in Valparaiso Singers rehearsal at Judith Stewart's house in Menlo Park when one of the sopranos received a text message from her brother in Utah regarding President Hinckleys passing. I was sad, then reflective of the wonderful spirit of this man and how he had blessed my life and the lives of all my family. It was a privilege to strive to live as he lived and do as he did and try to follow his counsel. I reflected upon the joyous meeting he surely had with his beloved wife Marjorie and his father and mother and other family members. He had been our Prophet for 12, almost 13 years. He was 97 years old, the oldest serving Prophet to pass away. There are so many, many, blessings he brought to the people of the church by being the Lord's chosen mouthpiece- moreTemples, Humanitarian Aid, Perpetual Education Fund, Tolerance (Religious and otherwise), humor, greater public awareness of the church, music, numerous buildings and monuments, and above all, his testimony of God the Father, and his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. I will miss him, but the Hand of the Lord is now moving to rest the mantle upon the next in line to shoulder the Prophetic Office. It is a source of great comfort and blessing to know that the Priesthood will continue on uninterrupted. I thank the Lord for this knowledge
Tuesday January 29th, 2008
I taught the first of six Temple Prep Lessons this morning to Joey Vasher and Carlos Cisneros. Joey is preparing for his mission to Guadalajara, Mexico, and Brother Cisneros is preparing for marriage. Brother Cisneros is a fairly recent convert and is a wonderful man.
We enjoyed a good discussion of the Plan of Salvation and the spirit was evident. I gave thanks.
Wednesday January 30th, 2008
The Oakland Temple reopened yesterday after a two week cleaning closure, and it was once again a privilege to attend and work there today. It was different in that I am now a full ordinance worker and as such issued the new name and presented at the veil for the first time this evening. I was nervous but the words came and I did fine. Again, I thank the Lord for the trust given me and the blessing of being involved in this most sacred work. The feeling I have in the Temple is one of peace and in just knowing that I am serving the wonderful patrons who come to the House of The Lord, and it is His House!!!.
Friday February 1st, 2008
It is always a privilege to hear and be around Brother (Patriarch) Ririe. The Elders Quorum had a social tonight and Josh invited Papa and I to attend to see a segment of the great World War 2 film, The Great Escape, made in 1963. Brother Ririe was then asked to share some of his POW experiences in a German Concentration Camp and compare notes. As he did, I was caught up once again in the spirit of sacrifice offered by so many during that horrible period in our history. We are truly blessed, beyond measure, as a result of those sacrifices. The Lord's hand was in the founding of this great land and is still being extended because of so many brave men and women who did and do sacrifice their all.
Saturday February 2nd, 2008
My little darling granddaughter Parker Elizabeth shared some wonderful insights with me today. She is three and ever so sharp. She is forthright and honest to a fault. She blesses my life with pure joy. The scriptures are true. To be as a child is to approach the Savior. Through her eyes I can glimpse backward in time to raising my own precious little ones and look forward to the promised hope of tomorrow.
Perhaps this exercise of remembering the Lord's hand will take me back as I look to the past and recall the blessings showered upon me and my family. Elder Eyring started his remembrances when his family was young. I am not young any more, and my family is grown and off and running with lives of their own and it is ever so apparent the Lord's Hand is also guiding them. What greater joy could there be?
Sunday February 3rd, 208
It was a wonderful Sabbath. The weather was blustry as hail fell several times during the day. I recognized the Hand of the Lord today through direct manifestation of the Spirit as it whispered to me in Sunday School Class. Brother Saunders stood to welcome everyone and to announce who would give the opening and closing prayers. I was overwhelmed with the sweet conviction that the keys of the Priesthood are in operation and that those keys when exercised provide the order and constancy in all of Church governance. The station matters not, only that there is an order to all things. Brother Saunders was operating under those keys in a sweet and humble way and the Spirit bore powerful witness to me of this order and how all are blessed as a result. Without these keys, Apostasy-personal and church-wide-would soon overtake us
Jan and I watched most of the funeral services for President Hinckley. The spirit touched me with remembrances of this great man and Prophet and Leader gone to meet his Lord and be with his parents and wife once again. Goodbye President Hinckley. It will be a pleasure to see you in the eternities.
Another beautiful moment occurred as Jan and I knelt for our morning prayer. Little Macy and Parker joined us. They folded their arms and with very sweet reverence listened as the prayer was given. They are being guided by loving parents who are being guided by the Hand of the Lord.
Monday February 4th, 2008
We have a newly ordained Prophet. President Thomas S Monson was set apart by all the living Apostles yesterday in the Salt Lake Temple. President Henry B Eyring who was 2nd Counselor under President Hinckley is now First Counselor and Elder Dieter Uchtdorf is now Second Counselor in the First Presidency. A press conference was held today and it was inspiring to hear each speak of his new responsibilities. We are in good hands-the hands of the Lord. The chain of Priesthood authority continues unimpeded and the keys remain in steady operation.
We had a lovely Family Home Evening tonight. Jan left to visit Jamie and Anita and be there for Brooklyn's 7th birthday today. We called and sang to Brooklyn as a group. I could not help but reflect upon past home evenings held in this very house-one in particular which stands out occuring a distant 4th of July ago. We had the lesson on patriotism and then proceeded to march around the kitchen island banging pots and pans and just having a great time. These memories are sweet and I feel to say that I may not have seen the hand of the Lord then, but the accumulation of these 'family times' certainly set the pattern for our children to grow spiritually and to let them know that Jan and I tried to be faithful to this most important family activity.
Tuesday February 5th, 2008
I taught the 3rd Temple Prep lesson this morning. We had a good discussion regarding past Temples and the importance of being worthy to enter the Temple to receive the greater blessings of the Lord. The spirit of the Temple is upon my two students and they are excited to attend. It is good to start the day with early prayer and study. I need to get in the habit once again.
Wednesday February 6th, 2008
I spent the afternoon and evening working at the Temple. I had a very sweet experience while presenting at the veil. A young man probably mid to late twenties approached and I had the pleasure of helping him through the ceremony. What made the encounter sweet was the spirit this young man carrried with him. He was trying his best to remember and learn all the words but more than that was the tangible feeling of humility and faith he portrayed to me. The encounter reminded me of my own children and of their faithfulness in attending to the commandments of the Lord. I was simply greatful for the testimony of the spirit of the moment. The church is in good hands!!!
Also, my sweetheart returned from visiting Jamie and family. She was asleep when I came in but it was wonderful to have her home.
Thursday February 7th, 2008
The weather turned wonderful today. I played golf in absolute sunshine and warmth. We had our 4th Temple Prep lesson this morning. We defined what ordinances and covenants are and why they are important. We are having good discussions and my two friends are getting excited to attend the Temple. It is not hard to see the hand of the Lord in their lives pointing them to his house. I do feel the spirit while teaching and love to do so.
Friday February 8th, 2008
Another beautiful day blessed our lives. I again played golf and remained for an hour afterwards enjoying the sunshine and a conversation with Stan Jackman, a 94 year old who still enjoys getting out and putting and chipping. I began asking him questions about his life and he opened up and shared many interesting insights. It was an enjoyable interchange even though one-sided in his favor, which is how I wanted it to be. It made me realize for a moment that we all are truly children of our Heavenly Father each with individual paths back to his presence. There can be no question that my path was redirected by his hand 38 years ago to Brigham Young University. All blessings since have flowed from that early course correction. There can be no other explanation, for, in my mind I had no reason to go to BYU other than to play golf. Thankful now, yes, appreciative now, yes, greatful now, yes, but most importantly, forever touched by the Masters' Hand.
Saturday February 9th, 2008
Today was capped with a tremendous blessing from the Lord. The worldwide leadership training session was televised from 5- 7:30pm. Our new Prophet President Monson closed the session with his first public remarks as Prophet, Seer and Revelator. The theme was raising a righteous posterity with helps for all ages. I sat and felt the spirit whisper to me that Jan and I did pretty good but only because we tried to follow the pattern outlined by our Prophets-Family Home Evening, Prayer-individual and family, family Scripture Study, etc. The gist of the meeting involved a round-table discussion between Elders Holland and Oaks, and the General Auxiliary Presidents from the Primary, Young Women and Relief Society. It is a marvel to think that millions had the opportunity to hear the same counsel simultaneously!!! How perfect! There is still much to do, but the Lord is guiding us as we go. I know that to be true and I am grateful for that fact!!.
Sunday February 10th, 2008
The Sabbath day was wonderful and the spirit confirmed many things to me today. One is that the reason I am on the High Council is because I get to enjoy two Sacrament Meetings almost every week!!! Plus the Lord knows that I always need to remember him.
Monday February 11th, 2008
Jan and I read the first three chapters of the Book of Mormon tonight and will continue reading together from now on. We had gotten away from doing so after all the kiddos left, so... It felt good. It was also our family home evening time. It is time to reclaim the blessings from such activities.
Tuesday February 12th, 2008
I taught the 5th Temple Prep lesson this morning that discusses signs and symbols and how the Lord uses them.
Wednesday February 13th, 2008
I had a very interesting day. I started my workout comeback at the YMCA by playing racquetball for the first time in more than five years. Not a good idea!! I popped a right leg calf muscle and I now have no vertical lift. It is painful, but I did this same thing once or twice before. It will just take longer to heal as I am now 56 instead of 49. I reflected upon the athletic gifts that I have been given and more importantly this body which houses those gifts, the makeup of which comes from the genes of my ancestors. My father Glen was a good athlete as was Neece who was in addition a singer and music lover. I have tried to use these 'visible' gifts to bless the lives of others and thus be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to do good.
I felt the hand of the Lord at the Temple tonight as I fulfilled my shift assignments. I was asked to relieve the Endowment Session Officiator and motion the patrons to the veil. In and of itself it was fairly uncomplicated thing, but, the entire endowment room was filled with smiling Tongan faces!!!. It was their Stake Temple night prior to Stake Conference and there was not an empty seat to be found. As I looked out over the sea of brown faces, a sweet spirit descended upon me and confirmed to me that the work done therein is right and true and that I am privileged to be able to help in a small way. I was limping badly from my leg injury but...the work goes on.
Saturday February 16th, 2008
I enjoyed the Priesthood Leadership and Adult sessions of Stake Conference today. I felt the blessings of the spirit confirming what I was hearing. Des Wilson, the former Santa Cruz Stake President and now 1st Counselor to President Mckonkie in the San Jose Mission, told the heartwarming story of the Hoyt family and how the father for the past 30 years has 'carried' and transported his invalid son through countless Marathons and Iron Man competitions and other sporting events and nature challenges. He used the analogy of the Savior 'knowing his lambs and carrying them back to the fold, not herding them. "People will not be herded but can be carried to the fold", hence our challenge to find the sheep who can be carried back or to the Gospel---quite a remarkable distinction in attitudes, I must say and worthy of contemplation and action.
Sunday February 17th, 2008
Try to remember the times when I have had a broken heart and contrite spirit. This was President Jacobs admonition to all of us who Attended Stake Conference today. For me, it is easy-the birth of all our children-my marriage to Jan-the birth of all our grandchildren. The list could go on and on. More importantly, I believe this admonition ties into the purpose of all this writing-to remember the ways the hand of the Lord has been seen, felt, or sensed, in my life or the life of my family. President Jacobs comment was to help us see that having a broken heart and contrite spirit wasn't just for the times we have had need of repentence although they are a prerequisite for and a necessity for the repentance process to be actuated.
It was good to see long-time church friends and to shake hands with them.
Monday February 18th, 2008.
We had a wonderful home evening. Papa and Nana are gone for the week visiting friends in Southern Cal and Arizona which was not the reason we had a wonderful home evening!!.. The reason for was we invited Hector Cisneros and his now fiance Susan Frekis for dinner and FHE. Hector just received the Melchizidek Priesthood yesterday at Stake Conference and was ordained an Elder by Jack Davidson. Jan prepared a wonderful dinner of meatballs, baked potatoes, brown rice, bisquits and vegetables. The lesson topic, Sacrifice, was taken from Elder Porter's conference talk, A Broken Heart and Contrite Spirit. Sue played the piano as we sang 'Because I have Been Given Much'. A sweet spirit of discussion and learning ensued and we just enjoyed getting tho know this new couple. She is divorced with 4 children and works at the Timpanoga Temple in American Fork. They got engaged on Saturday so there are some logistics to figure out, but they are planning a late April or early May Wedding, probably civil at first and then later in the Temple. We are happy for them as they seem to be well suited.
Josh and Robin purchased a new car today, a GMC Acadia. They can now take all three kids at the same time. I was blessed to be able to help them as a co-signer.
Tuesday February 19th, 2008
An interesting thing happened today. We ate lunch at Appleby's-we being Jan and I and Josh and Robin and family. A black couple sat next to us and began arguing, obviously over marital relations. The argument became heated to the point that I had to go and ask the manager to talk to them which she did. I reflected on the blessing of my marriage and the unity and harmony which exists because of the understanding I(we) have of the eternal nature of things. What a blessing from my Heavenly Father!!! I later thought that a better response for this couple would have been to sit with them and share my testimony of eternal things, but....
Sunday February 24th, 2008
I attended the 2nd Ward Conference today and taught during the third hour. I felt the Hand of the Lord in a different yet familiar way. I had been getting lax in my Scripture Study and reading, but thanks to our reading together once again, a sweet, peaceful feeling overcame me as I delivered the message. It was a feeling of quiet confidence in knowing that I had been doing what is needed to keep the spirit close. The Conference held was marvelous. President Lemmon posed a very interesting question, If you were to ask your wife to marry you again, would she say yes? If I couple that thought with Elder Scott's query, "Are you mentally faithful to your spouse?" , we pretty much have the higher marriage law laid out in a simple yet unmistakebly clear way. I can truly say that I have been blessed to have a wonderful wife and sweetheart and friend for the past 32 years. Wow!!
I laid hands on Preceso Macabugou and set him apart as second counselor in the 2nd Ward Elders Quorum Presidency. My hands were the Lord's hands once again.
Tuesday February 26, 2008
I had a rather unique experience today, one that reaffirmed my testimony of the true principles of the Gospel. I attended a get together at the Episcopalian Church which was sponsored by this church as an outreach program. Their minister, Reverend Rajh-a very nice man I might add, contacted Bishop Varney and asked if the two congregations might share basic beliefs and just come together to get to know each other. We did this last night at their church. Next Tuesday evening they will join us in our Cultural Hall for some soup and bread and fellowship. There were about 14 of us in a and about 30 Episcopalians in attendance tonight. After some light refreshments, Reverend Rajh explained the why of the get together and then gave a brief history of his Church. To make a long story short, it was a lovely evening of enlightenment and I learned much. Basically, their church is the Church of England, founded by King Henry V111, who, when denied an anullment of his marriage by the Roman Catholic Church, split with the Mother Church and installed the Archbishop of Canturbury as the moral head of the new Church of England. The Episcopalian name emerged shortly after the American Revolution as a way to further break ties with Great Britain. So...If I had my choice of believing in a Church that was founded over a divorce, or one where God the Father and Jesus Christ both appeared and ushered in the restoration of the True Church of Jesus Christ, to which would I most likely align my faith. Hmmmmn. I wonder. The Episcopalians believe in a three pronged approach involving Scriptures,Tradiion and Reason as a way to prove doctrine. As I ponder the last two prongs, it is not to understand why we have the truth. Our doctrine comes through living oracles and flies in the face of tradition and reason, both of which originate with man and must ultimately fail. The 'tradition of the fathers' is so evident and accounts for the reasoning of so many Christians who have based their faith on 'the arm of flesh'.
Still, it was great to meet with these several gentle souls. We will share our beliefs next week and will have The Family Proclamation and the Articles of Faith and Books of Mormon for our guests. It should be a lively discussion.
Sunday March 2nd, 2008
Today would have been Neece's 91st birthday. It is not hard to feel the hand of the Lord as I think of her devotion to me throughout my life. Even though she has been gone for almost 8 years, her presence is still felt. Memories flood back of my youth and early teen years and early manhood. She was always there and I never doubted her love for me. As my children came, they never doubted her love for them. Each had the privilege of growing up under her watchful care, a family blessing not had by many in todays distant and disconnected society. Her influence will forever be noticed, felt and appreciated. It will truly be a great reunion in the hereafter. I know it will be and I know that I must stay on the straight and narrow path which leads to that glorious promised land.
I felt the hand of the Lord today as Josh taught the wonderful Sunday School lesson on the Atonement as outlined in 2nd Nephi 9, Jacob's discourse on the 1st and 2nd deaths and how the Savior overcame all that we might have eternal life and salvation and exhaltation.
Monday March 3rd, 2008
We just had an enjoyable Family Home Evening. We made paper links with all our names on them and then connected them with the links of love, Temple, Respect, Temple Marriage, Love each other, Prayer, etc. It was a nice visual for Parker and Macy to see how a chain is forged together. Parker bore her testimony and said the Church was true. Can there be anything sweeter? The hand of the Lord is moving these little ones to be good and to remember their divine potential.

Sunday March 9th, 2008
The past 5 days have been one of driving and collections. I could not help but pause every once in awhile and 'consider the lillies of the field'. The landscape is truly breathtaking this time of year as the wild grasses and flowers that cover the California hillsides are beginning to bloom and grow. Of course the green will give way to the golden brown, but for now Spring is upon us. The weather has been absolutely perfect. All of this is for me (us)!!!. How can one possibly think that there is no supreme creator of all this beauty and variety!. The Hand of God is apparent and looms larger than life, indeed, the universe!!!! I am even now sitting in my office upstairs listening to the chirping birds that return each Spring and nest under the awnings of the neighboring house. What sweeter music can they bring.
On Tuesday evening past, our Episcopalian friends joined us in our recreation hall for soup and bread and a short discussion of our beliefs. Our youth shone!!! Bishop Varney asked several young people to share their beliefs and testimonies. Chelsea Gordon spoke on the Atonement, Jessica Locke on Divine Worth and potential, Jonathan Varney on the Prophet Joseph Smith, and Kyle Vasher on the restoration of the Priesthood. Bishop Varney concluded by giving an overview of the basic doctrines of the church and then opened it up for questions. The spirit bore witness to all who were in attendance that truth was spoken and testified of. It was a privilege to hear these young future leaders and missionaries not just give an accounting, but bearing testimony of the doctrines and principles outlined. We do have some new good friends now and I am sure more is to follow.
I worked at the Temple on Wednesday helping in several areas. I was a sealing patron, a confirmer, and a veil worker on both sides. It is a wonderful thing to hear the sealers pronounce the sealing ordinances and to reflect on the sacred promises contained therein. The Lord's hand shines upon all, individuals and families and extended families here in this sacred place from which the word and law of the Lord go forth.
The Lord is blessing Papa Jim. He is returning to us from his long absense. The children are enjoying playing with him and he likewise with them. Nana had another bad heart defibrilation evening while we were away. Jan took her to the doctor and the bottom line is that she will probably receive a pacemaker. This is another wonderful manifestation of the sprit of the Lord, for he has blessed this generation with so many medical and health tools to help us live longer and better.
Jan is at a quilt retreat in Cambria. She truly loves quilting and it is a rewarding thing for her. I enjoy seeing her creations. Again, I have blessed beyond measure with a truly remarkable wife and friend who consistently just does what needs to be done with no fanfare or bright lights. At the end of the day it is she who has done the 'lion's share'.
Today is Ward Conference. I am excited to hear President Jacobs and Bishop Varney. I know the hand of the Lord will be revealed as new insights will come flooding into my mind as I listen. All is well, all is well.
Monday March 10th, 2008
Jan returned from her weekend quilting seminar. I missed her. She is such a part of my life and has blessed me immeasurably with so many refining moments. She has always been the intuitive one, close to the spirit in matters of the heart. I am still learning. I thank the Lord every day for her and feel his hand through her hands.
Wednesday March 12th, 2008
I worked in the Temple today and spent most of the time helping in the Baptistry. The spirit was in attendance there as combined youth groups from the Castro Valley 1st and 2nd Wards participated in the Baptism and Confirmation ordinances. There is a painting of the Savior being baptized by John hanging in the Baptistry which can be viewed by those waiting to be baptized and it is as if he (the Savior) were there supervising the ordinance. Then again, it is his house and so it would not take too much to imagine that he is watching over all that occurs therein.
Thursday March 13th, 2008
I played golf today in rather inclement weather although it did not rain. I had a moment of profound thanks for the area I live in which is so beautiful. The low gray clouds were broken somewhat down the valley and the sunlight was breaking through in various spots. I reflected upon all the times I had been on the golf course in my life and how the game of golf has brought so much to my life, mainly to the church and hence to Jan and and having a family. Wow. All that from hitting a crazy little ball into a tiny hole. The Lords hand truly touched me and guided me in my earlier life to be able to discover all the blessings awaiting me.
Saturday March 15th, 2008
Papa and Nana and Jan and I went for a wonderful drive through Hollister and down Hwy 25 to the Pinnacles National Monuments. It is one of the prettiest drives anywhere especially in springtime when the grass is green and the wildflowers are in bloom-even though it is not yet Spring! It is easy to see the Hand of God when upcloser to Nature. The order of it all is simply staggering. The beauty unparalled. I am reminded of Neece who instilled into me a great love of the outdoors by taking me to many of the beauty spots in California-Big Sur-Yosemite-Big Basin-The Big Trees- and other wondrous American nature spots-The Grand Canyon-The Petrified Forest-Carlsbad Caverns. More than just taking me she made things come alive with her understanding of how it all worked and her always enthusiastic way of explaining things. She was afterall, an exceptional teacher. Certainly, I was blessed through her loving guidance to be able to one day see the Hand of the Lord in his Creations.
Sunday March 16th, 2008
We had a good Sabbath. Josh spoke in Church on the Principle of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. The Spirit whispered to me several things I should do to better observe the Sabbath-one being more sensitive to the spiritual promptings to go do what is needed to bless the lives of others.
We had our final Valparaiso rehearsal for our Good Friday Concert coming later this week. The music is difficult but I will have it learned in time. Judith Stewart, our director has been diagnosed with Lymphoma that is affecting her lymph nodes around the Pancreas. We have been praying for her and will continue to do so. The diagnosis requires chemotherapy and radiation but there is a 70% cure rate, a rate we are all grateful for. She is being blessed because of her faith and it is clear to see. It is amazing how quickly things that we sometimes take for granted-our health for one-can change. I feel so fortunate to be in good health as are all my family members.
Monday March 17th, 2008
We had a joint FHE on the resurrection tonight. Parker taught the lesson using the hand in glove example of the body and spirit. Again, it was short but to the point. She was obviously pleased but more importantly was being guided by the spirit through her parents to bless our lives. Certainly the spirit was in attendance and witnessed to me of the sweetness of the moment.
Oh where oh where can little Grace Ella be? Oh where oh where can she be? We all know of course, but her due date is past. Oh Well, she will make her entrance soon and what a great day it will be, perhaps tomorrow. Another of the Lords blessings will shower down upon us all as a family.
Tuesday March 18th, 2008
Once again, Papa and I were on the road in the early morning to fix phones in the South Valley. We came out of the fog and into the sunlight which illuminated the glorious hills on the east and west with their luscious green carpeting. Then it was on to Seaside, appropriately named, and the beautiful view of the Monterey Bay still partially shrouded in fog. How blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the Garden, his garden. Truly there is beauty all around and joy in almost every sound.
Wednesday March 19th, 2008
Grace Ella is here!!!! Born this morning at 7lbs 7oz. I am looking at a cell phone picture right now that Jamie sent. Of course she is cute and perfect. There is no greater witness of the hand of the Lord than a new birth 'come from God and trailing clouds of glory'. Hurrah for Israel!!! Jan and I are now grandparents 7 times over, each individually precious. It is a good day. I will spend the afternoon and evening in the Temple which is another great blessing and privilege. Craig flies in today also and will visit for 10 days. It will be good to see him once again.
Thursday March 20th, 2008
"We must do all that is required in moving forward the work of theLord in building His kingdom in the earth. We can never compromise thedoctrine which has come through revelation, but we can live and work withothers, respecting their beliefs and admiring their virtues, joining handsin opposition to the sophistries, the quarrels, the hatred--thoseperils which have been with man from the beginning."(Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Dawning of a Brighter Day," Ensign, May 2004, 84)
As I thought about this wonderful statement from our now departed prophet, it occurred to me that this is what the millenium will be all about, for there will be nonmembers of the church in that era who will the righteous. We will usher in this thousand year reign by applying this principle in our lives. I will do so by not worrying about if everyone lives by the same doctrine.
We were blessed today to enjoy the sights and sounds at Casa De Fruta, a long time tourist stop on the Pacheco Pass Hwy. A model train tours the grounds and there is a double decker carousel and many other interesting antique farm pieces collected over the past 100 years. It was just a fun family time with Craig and Josh and Robin and all kids and Jan and Papa and Nana. There is an order in all things, and I and family are privileged to understand that order as it comes through the Spirit.
Jamie sent pictures of Grace. Wow. Is she cute or what!!!
Wednesday March 26th, 2008
I officiated in the washing portion of the initiatory ordinances tonight for the first time. I was acting as one 'having authority'. I paused for a moment as I said those words and the spirit of the whole work struck me. We are Saviors on Mt. Zion doing for others what they cannot do for themselves. It was an honor and a blessing to participate. I look forward to officiating in the other initiatories.
Thursday March 27th, 2008
I home taught the Ennis's tonight-dear 80+ year old people who are like little puppy dogs lapping up the gospel spirit and light. It is a joy to teach them. We discussed Priesthood Keys and Solemn Assemblies, both which will be in evidence next week during General Conference. I have been a member for 34 years and had never fully realized what a solemn assembly was. At our High Council meeting Tuesday night, President Lemmon handed out two talks from the April 1995 Conference, one covering the sustaining procedure for the General Authorities and newly appointed Prophet President Gordon B Hinckley (Solemn Assembly) and the talk immediately following the sustaining, Elder Boyd K Packers address titled The Shield of Faith. It was a powerful talk on the keys of the Restoration and the need for them and that the keys are a protection for the church in these latter days. Since being called as a High Councilman, I have learned much about these Priesthood keys and have seen them in action. I was grateful to study more on the topic. Utilizing this Priesthood power has been and continues to be a strong reminder that 'my hands are the Lord's Hands'.
Friday, March 28th, 2008
The Ladles are here for the weekend to particpate in the naming and blessing of Oliver James Ladle. It is always enjoyable to have them in our home as they bring a special spirit, a kindred spirit, with them. They are truly a couple who are disciples of the Savior and go about doing good. We feel blessed to have them here. I wish we were closer in proximity to Anita's and Kiana's parents as I feel the same toward them also.
Judith Stewart is undergoing her kemo-therapy for lymphoma. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and I know that she is being blessed through the faith of many. It is a privilege to pray in faith and know that my Father hears those prayers. He has sustained me in good health as well as my family and I know his hand is watching over us.
Saturday March 29th, 2008
We walked among the giants today. Doug and Carol Ladle flew in yesterday and we all went to The Big Trees-Henry Cowell State Park-to enjoy the stately Redwood Trees once again. The weather was overcast and the forest was damp-somewhat different from the usual bright sunshine of former visits. There is an almost spiritual feeling about being among these wonderful creations, perhaps because some predate the birth of the Savior. We were blessed to be there!!!
Sunday March 30th, 2008
Oliver James Ladle was blessed today.Three generations of 'hands' were represented in the circle-Jim Gayle (Papa Jim), David Shipley and Doug Ladle, Craig Shipley and Josh Ladle as the father and voice. Oliver is going to be a blessing to many. He will serve a mission, marry a good woman in the Temple and be a blessing to his family. We were the Lord's hands today. What an honor and privilege to bless our first Grandson. Thanks be to my Heavenly Father.
We love having Doug and Carol with us. They bring such a wonderful spirit. It is perhaps the last time we will see them here as Josh and Robin will soon be gone, but we are not thinking of that yet.
Monday March 31st, 2008
Jan and Craig left today to visit Jamie and Anita. They were blessed with safe travel. I took care of business matters. It is a blessing to have had such a wonderful source of income for so many years. It may not last much longer however, but I feel the Lord will provide and I am not fearful of the future. I suppose you can call it a feeling of peace, a peace that comes from trying to live the Gospel and keep the commandments.
I shared with Craig my love for him and how proud I was of him for his desires to stay on the straight and narrow. He is such a wonderful young man. We were blessed to have such a gentle, warm, easy to be entreated spirit come to us.
Papa Jim and Nana and I had Parker all to ourselves today for lunch at Maui Tacos. She was loving it, as were we. She commented on a variety of topics among them the idea of Supercalifragilistickexpialidotious-I have no idea if I spelled that correctly-but we had fun with it. She ate and would not be rushed by Nana to finish. She actually finished after Papa Jim!!!! It is easy to see the Hand of The Lord upon her sweet spirit and that hand is felt as she interacts with us. 'Suffer the Little Children to come unto me, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven'. Amen
Tuesday April 2nd, (oops, April Fools) April 1st, 2008
I played Golf at Rancho Canada and shot 76. Whoopdedoo. It was another beautiful day on the peninsula. Papa and I fixed phones and I did paperwork.
I got to know Jerry Armstrong today a little better. Jerry is a golfing friend and secretary for our Fairways Board of Directors. He was a Navy Seal during Vietnam-a sniper to be exact. Wow. He worked in the prison system until being attacked several times over a period of years. His back is held together with baling wire so to speak and he is not able to work any longer. I appreciated getting to know him. It is always a blessing to learn about other people and their histories and struggles. He is a 'recovering alcoholic' and has had a difficult go of things. His biological father committed suicide this past Christmas Eve!! I see the hand of the Lord in my life and families life as I consider the relative safety and ease we have had in our life's journey. Thus I believe the Scriptures that teach of this safety and refuge from the storms of life.
Tomorrow is Temple Day. It will be a great day.
Wednesday April 2nd, 2008
I was right. It was a wonderful time at the Temple tonight. I was initiated by fire!!!. I was ready to do the anointing part of the initiatories and did so for 45 minutes. Then because we were shorthanded, I was thrown back into a round-robin situation-Two officiators and one patron. I wound up taking the memorization card in with me and reading the last part of the ordinance, but I am now ready to do all of the required ordinances. It was an honor and privilege to be able to serve.
There is a wonderful quote from President Monson that sums up this whole idea of blessings. He spoke recently at the Presidents Club in Salt Lake City for all the alumni from BYU-Idaho who live outside of Idaho. "You don't search for blessings, you find them as you search for opportunities to help another person." That statement pretty much sums up his life and it is a principle worth remembering and applying.
Thursday April 3rd, 2008
I took some books to Justin Hawk tonight. These books were part of Sister Brackett's library. It felt good to give them to him. He is growing rapidly and is such a good young spirit. I spent time with Parker and Oliver today. Together we planted our snap peas in the garden. Parker enjoys picking them when ready with Grammy and snapping and eating the peas inside. We are all planted now and will await the arrival of our tomatoes, string beans, squash, peas, and pumpkins. I was blessed today with an upbeat attitude for which I am thankful. I believe it can be traced directly back to Neece for she was always upbeat and positive. I miss her.
Friday April 4th , 2008
I realized today that it is not always necessary to look for new blessings from the Lord, although there are all around me. I once again played golf and just enjoyed the tremendous weather surrounding me-blue skies-brisk breeze that changed direction almost on cue at 11:15 from the south to from the west-and the beautiful surrounding hills that frame this most marvelous Salinas Valley. It is staggering to think of all the produce that leaves from here and literally feeds the world. Once again, I feel to praise the order of things and feel it a privilege to know just a little of who makes it all work. I personally cannot wait to be able to understand where a treee came from originally and to be able to create (organize) other worlds, all of which is dependant on my faithfulness in this life. What a blessing to have the gift of faith and not 'sight' alone.
Saturday April 5th, 2008
Why wait. I felt the testimony of Prophets as I listened to the opening session of General Conference-a Solemn Assembly for the sustaining of all Church Officers. We stood in quorums and auxiliaries when asked to stand and sustain the Living Prophet Thomas Spencer Monson and his Counselors, and the Quorum of 12 with the newly sustained Apostle D. Todd Christopherson, the 70's Presidency and quorums and Area Presidencies and Representatives and all Auxiliary General Authorities. I know President Monson is the chosen Prophet to lead the only true and living Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Thanks be to God for this most precious Testimony, a testimony of faith.
Elder Nelson gave wonderful counsel, "Salvation is an individual responsibility, but Exhaltation is a Family Responsibility. Wow. Wow. It is not enough for me make sure that I am faithful, but I must insure that my Family is likewise continually given the opportunity to exercise their faith-call it family faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment