Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Gratitude is a Spirit-filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God. Through it, we become spiritually aware of the wonder of the smallest things, which gladden our hearts with their messages of God's love. This grateful awareness heightens our sensitivity to divine direction. When we communicate gratitude, we can be filled with the Spirit and connected to those around us and the Lord. Gratitude inspires happiness and carries divine influence." Perhaps this quote by Sister Bonnie Parkin in the April 2006 Conference best describes what President Eyring invited us (me) to do to remember to recognize blessings of the Lord in my life and family member's lives. It is almost overwhelming to consider the grandness of the universal scene, and then ponder the 'smallest things'. I have had glimpses of all of it in the past few months as I am trying to remember and have asked the spirit to give me these remembrances.

This past weekend I took a drive down nostalgia lane to a place of my early childhood and teen years. The place was Willow Glen, a sleepy shaded community of San Jose. The street was Bennet Way where Harry and Delores Merino lived for many years. These two great people went to school with Neece at Fremont High in San Jose where as Mom described it, you had to take a five mile hike or ride on a dirt road through the orchards to get to school!!! Of course this was in the early thirties of the last century. Now there are no dirt roads nor many orchards left, but the beautiful huge elm tree- lined street still stirred my memories of this good couple and their friendship with Mom and their kindness and encouragement toward me. As a child, I drove with mom many times to the Merino's for dinner or to stay overnight or just to visit. Mom loved San Jose and Sunnyvale. In my golfing years, Mom would drop me off at their house and I would stay overnight to play in the two day tournaments. Delores or Harry would drive me to the course or when I got old enough, I would drive myself. I was always welcome and they were always so positive. Delores was much like Mom, the eternal optimist. Harry was a route driver deliverer for Wonder Bread for many years. She was a nurse. They had a son named Ron who was my Brother Dan's age, 10 years older than me. Why am I recalling all this? Because the spirit has prompted me through a dream to do the Temple Work for this great family. They have all passed away-Ron 10 years ago according to a neighbor that I met near the Merino house which I did not recognize due to extensive remodeling. In the dream her maiden name, Faust, was recalled to me, so I have begun the process to submit their names for Temple Work. What is again a miracle is that there is a way to do all of this through the new family search website!!!! I wish to encourage all who will read this to become familiar with this new tool from heaven for opening up the graves of those departed and offering the ordinances of exhaltation to all our progenitors. The time is now and has never been easier.

Today I have spent time reading a book to Parker and Macy, taking Parker to Pre-school and just getting caught up with stuff. I read this morning from the most correct book ever written and was taken back to the days of Alma and Amlici-who would be a self-proclaimed King over the Nephites. The battles that ensued exacted a terrible toll in lives and families lost. Nevertheless, the Lord strenghthened (blessed) the Nephites and because of their righteousness, they were able to overcome the advances of the combined followers of Amlici and the Lamanites. The message for today is that it is imperative that we continuously qualify for the Lord's strength through the Atonement to be able to overcome the wicked combinations that surround us with almost overwhelming numbers and 'numbness'. I see the Hand of the Lord so clearly leading me in the light of the Gospel and I see the Lord blessing my family in that same light.

Jan is in Tennessee for a week of quilting and sightseeing. So far, she wants to move there to Franklin where a new Temple has just been built. Jamie and Anita are going out there to scout the area in the near future!!! Who knows what the future will bring!

I have been listening to the Conference Talks in the car and here at home. What a blessing!! Thanks to President Jacobs' inspired counsel to the Stake to reread, relisten, and refeel the talks between now and Stake Conference in July. My next High Council speaking assignment in May is in the Monterey Ward and the Presidency has asked us to help the members rekindle the spiritual glow felt by those who listened and to encourage those who did not have or take the opportunity to turn their 'tent doors' toward Conference and feast upon the 'spritual smorgasboard' as President Monson put it. It will be a privilege to speak of the great principles lluminated by the General Authorities.

No comments: